What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good are Hoffman, Lima and Finch?

Wigan Dave

Juniors
Hi!

Greetings from a Wigan fan. :)

We've had a great season, so far, under the guidance of Madge.

I haven't seen much of the Storm play this year, having signed 3 of their players for next season (Lima, Hoffman and Finch) I was wondering what their strengths and waknesses were and whether we'd signed quality players? What are your thoughts?

Cheers!

Dave​

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hoffman's had a quiet year by his standards but a quality player when on song. Lima is a great impact forward. One of my faves. Finch I don't rate, he can do some good things but also has a habit of doing some terrible plays as well. OK if you've got a very good 7 aside him but if you are relying on him to steer the team around you are in trouble!

Lima will give you good stability in the ruck and will make the metres each week.

Hoffman can be guilty of going missing in games and likes to sit inside the centres to try and pop passes in the tackle when on attack. Not a bad player when on form.

Finch - good bloke and was a club favourite amongst the fans. A real competitor who is not naturally skilled but will give 100%.

troll

Juniors
No one really knows how good they are.
They have been made to look good in a illegally stacked, loaded and cheating team from the South of the border. Without that they will probably be nothing just like Finch was before he went there!

macavity

Referee
All three would make the 17 of pretty much any team in the comp - all good players.

The Storm did you a big favour in being so keen to stuff around most of the NRL clubs.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Lima is good, the other two aren't anything special. In saying that, Finch is the type of player who will kill it in the ESL.

Noa

First Grade
Finch is good, Lima is good, Hoffman is just an average footballer now and has been for a couple of years.

andrew057

First Grade
Finch has had his best season for the past 5 years. Really stepped up his game for Melbourne.

Lima's form hasnt been great, but hes reasonable young and can be a very impressive rep quality prop at his best.

Hoffman has had a poor season, hes one of the most overrated to play the game in the past 10 years.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
All are pretty decent buys. Lima has improved a lot under bellamy. Hoffman has been down the past few years but could terrorise the outside backs over in England. Finch is a competitor, isnt going to win man of steel but you don't play as many first grade games as he does if you're absolute garbage either

hellteam

First Grade
They'll all be extremely good in the Super League.

Finch was one of the top 5 best five eights this year and the other 2 are quality players, especially Lima.

gaterooze

Bench
Finch... I hate him and he's not terribly skillfull, but the guy gives his all and is the type of player who could end up winning the Man of Steel.

Lima is a super buy, wish the Knights had nabbed him.

Hoffman can be very good, but can also be a passenger. It remains to be seen which he is without the Storm players around him.

westie

Bench
Finch has been woeful any time he's been the main man in a side. If Tomkins runs your show and allows Finch to throw the last pass... you'll do good. I can't see Tomkins running a show though. I don't understand the point of signing him... Leuluai at 7 and Tomkins at 6 works.

Hoffman is one dimensional. He runs a great line down the left, does well off short balls inside the 30. He'll probably suit MacGuire's hard tackling system. Hopefully you aren't paying him too much. He's been in poor form lately... possibly due to receiving less of those short balls.

Lima is weird. Reserve grader at the Wests Tigers, went to Pia or somewhere in France and was saved by Bellamy - who has a habit of taking big guys and turning them into quality props. He'll probably be the best signing... but Fielden is better (I rate him, unlike most of you fickle poms).

Lambretta

First Grade
As a Warrington supporter I'd love to say they were all crap, but that would be a wind up mate.

Lima is a decent prop and will get you good metres. He's not afraid of getting dirty

Finch is not the Worlds most talented five eighth, but he is fiercely competative and great foil for a good halfback, hooker combo. If Wigan have a field controlling half back, the Finch will back him beautifully and he will never die wondering. I love Finchy for these attributes as did all the Melbourne Storm fans.

Hoffman is a wide running 2nd rower. If he gets good line service from his halves, he can bust the line and runs good lines. He hasnt scored as many tries as in recent years, but his work rate has been consistant this season according to his fantasy stats. If opposition has weak centres he will exploit them close to the try line in attack. Not quite Menzies (Bradford) in quality and brains but a decent player and will serve Wigan well.

The Storm have been kind to Wigan allowing those three to your club. Nice to see the boys sticking together at the same club in England.

Brett Finch, where to start. Try and find footage of the Roosters v Panthers in 2005 that is the game the legend of Funch was born with cut out passes to row G, failing to find touch from penalties and then booting the ball in to the Brewongle stand at the SCG on the last. Let's not forget how good he was for merkinerbury in the 2004 final and if you can find footage on youtube Fitzy made him cry on the field down in Canberra.

The mere fact that andrew057 rates him is a testament to how garbage he is.

NAS

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't believe all three will dominate ESL is kidding themselves.....

Hoffman is capable of man of steel honours......All three are Origin class.

Iafeta

Referee
Finch seems to be getting better with age and maturity, Lima and Hoffman seem to be slipping to fairly average players. Hoffman can be a bit of a wimp with a fairly loose carry and has lost most if not all impact through the tackle. I wouldn't want any of them to be honest and was not surprised they were forced out.

Latest posts