What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Glen Black

Glen

Bench
tex said:
What's with all the holding down, Australia? When you watch the NRL the ruck area is quick and tidy with players knowing that they have to get off sharpish. During this series though, Australia have been lying on all over the place and constantly trying to slow it down. Yet this was expected of GB. It's been a really disappointing aspect of Australia's play. The penalty count in GB's favour was spot on as Australia frequently tried to spoil.
Both teams were doing it. Most of the penalties went to GB because they try so hard to milk them in the rucks. So many times GB players with the ball were holding Aussie players down on top of them and that ref fell for it way too often. The ref had an ok game overall though

Jeffles

Bench
What did Bennett say? That will decide if Black refs the final.

Not the best performance but he didn't effect the result.

Also, I usually don't worry about lopsided penalty counts. If a team is genuinely ill disciplined, why pander to them for the sake of an even count. Sure, the Roos could;ve got more penalties, but they were less disciplined than the Lions.

bartman

Immortal
Jeffles said:
What did Bennett say? That will decide if Black refs the final.
Nah, he got overuled about the Manchester game.

Bennett won't get a huge say in what happens I imagine. Tri-nations board (or whatever) - GB favours a neutral, NZ pushing for its man to get a profile game. 2 vs 1 again, and rightly so.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Glen Black did a very good job, even if he did miss a stack of high tackles from Brett Kimmorley. Dirty runt that he is.

He handled the obstruction rule well. Too many NRL refs blow early on them, when they clearly have no effect on the game. I'd love to see him in the NRL next year.

ozbash

Referee
Kiwi Ref Not Wanted By Australians
15/11/2004 06:56 AM NewstalkZB

New South Wales league chairman Geoff Carr is calling for Great Britain's Super League referee Russell Smith to control the Tri Series league final.

Australia and Great Britain will square off in the final, but Carr says a neutral referee is not possible because New Zealander Glen Black does not have enough experience to control a tri-series final.

He says he does not have a problem with neutral referees as long as they are all of a professional standard.

He says giving Black the Tri Series final is a difficult decision when they do not think he is the best referee.

Carr says he is impressed with Black's performance, taking into account his lack of experience at the top level, and Black is going to be invited to attend January's NRL pre-season training sessions with the hope of him controlling NRL games in the future.

what a f**king wanker carr would be.

Skinner

Coach
Mate, back when he was just a St George bloke he was alright. He has now
become the biggest tosser in Rugby League...and jeez, we have a few of them.

Mr Carr....shut your trap :evil:

Skinner

bartman

Immortal
That's just bollocks from Carr. Black is fine, and his presence has not harmed Australia (or anyone else) one bit.

lockyno1

Post Whore
That's just bollocks from Carr. Black is fine, and his presence has not harmed Australia (or anyone else) one bit.

The point is when we clearly have 2 refs ahead of him why get him to ref a final! I would rather Russel Smith control the final- he seemed to do well last year :clap: He is the best ref in the world and it would be a tradgedy if the best ref is not refereeing the final! :roll:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The point is when we clearly have 2 refs ahead of him why get him to ref a final! I would rather Russel Smith control the final- he seemed to do well last year He is the best ref in the world and it would be a tradgedy if the best ref is not refereeing the final!

I don't agree with all of your statement, but the best should referee the final. I'm just sick to death of the shit Carr keeps coming out with. I'm going to constantly annoy the NRL in 2005 about getting Black into the top grade so we don't need to hear all this shit again.

dimitri

First Grade
the best neutral ref should referee the final

GLEN BLACK has done an excellent job at interpresting the international rules

he has been fair, and let the games flow without too many penalties

HE SHOULD REF the final

no matter what fools like carr and co say

Matt M

Juniors
mickdo said:
7-2 penalty count? Gotta be kidding me. He listened to the crowd way too much and made a stack of errors.

What is wrong with some fans and thinking that the penalty count has to be even at the end of a match? We got too carried away in defense and got penalised for it, Great Britain didn't.

I thought he controlled the match very well. He let the game flow and was consistent with his rulings. There were a few penalties that I thought he got wrong but not much. I think Russell Smith is a better ref and I think that he should referee the final but I wouldn't mind if this guy did it. He's also a lot better than some of the NRL referee's (I'm looking at you Steve Clark)

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Why do people always think a lopsided penalty count means a biased or poor refereeing performance? Both sides infringe, but why is it unfeasible to think one does moreso than the other. It doesnt even have to come down to who infringes more, just who infringes more blantently.

I'd be happy with Russel Smith calling the final, he's been the best performed ref this series. Black's gone well overall, especially given all the pressure put on him by the likes of Carr. His second performance was definitely the better of the two, & we got exciting, flowing RL out of both. The less said about Mander, the better.

lockyno1

Post Whore
russel smith and ?????

Mander of course, due to his EXPERIENCE in big matches! That is all I am basing that on, as he made some errors in the first match but none more than Black has made in each of his matches!

Dakink

Bench
I really hate Ref bashing, they make mistakes and that adds to the spectacle of live sport - any sport - If they consistently or blatantly make errors or show bias then sack 'em or re-train em but other wise they are there to do their best at a given job. I like that English Ref Smith and think he would be the best Ref for the final!

ozbash

Referee
lockyno1 said:
russel smith and ?????

Mander of course, due to his EXPERIENCE in big matches! That is all I am basing that on, as he made some errors in the first match but none more than Black has made in each of his matches!

you have just proven a fairly basic point to me lockyno1,, you wouldnt know shite from clay.
you do not know what you are talking about :roll:

carlnz

Bench
ozbash said:
lockyno1 said:
russel smith and ?????

you have just proven a fairly basic point to me lockyno1,, you wouldnt know sh*te from clay.
you do not know what you are talking about :roll:

I second that

griff

Bench
Skinner said:
Mate, back when he was just a St George bloke he was alright. He has now
become the biggest tosser in Rugby League...and jeez, we have a few of them.

Mr Carr....shut your trap :evil:

Skinner

He was crap at St George as well, crap when he went to the ARL as Communications Manager, and crap now. He is just getting progressively more and more out of his depth.

This is the guy that pushed for a merger between St George and Easts.

Latest posts