What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how good was it when....

winnyason

Juniors
The poms & aussies played at packed houses during the kangaroo tours of 94 & 90 at big ticket venues like ellen road, old trafford & wembly & the 92 world cup final at wembley.
The question is what has happened since those days it got to last year the kiwis playing poms at knowley road which holds about 10 thousand.
Let's hope the poms revival will see there 2009 quad series match vs aussies at wembley that would be awesome let's hope it happens.

playdaball

Bench
It was great to see big soccer stadiums packed out. That was a golden era for GB RL. When we look back in years to come, some of the following players will be looked upon as legends:

Drummond
Golding
Lydon
Hanley
Offiah
Schofield
Edwards
Ward
Goodway
Robinson

Despite all of those great players they still never managed to beat the Aussies in a series.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It was great seeing Internationals played at Wembley, I remember a GB/NZL game at Wembley, not sure what the crowd but sure sounded like over 50,000.

I recently watched the 1992 WC final on Youtube, over 70,000 turned up and how loud was the crowd.

Not saying the Pommy fans arent loud anymore but a crowd of 50,000+ would be great to experience.

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't think playing Aus and NZ on too regular an occasion helps and also the timing of the games be it time of day or time of year.

roughyedspud

Coach
i really hope the england v australia game in the 2009 4 nations is going to be a wembley..i think theres a good chance it might be too.....

either wembley or the city of manchester,hopefully both..because the way the 4 nations is going to work we'll only have 3 games and only the australia & NZ games are defo going to be played in england...the england v france game is likely to be held in france to give them a half decent chance..

i would defo head down to london to see england v australia @ wembley again,i went to the 1995 WC final...that was awesome,think there was 65k in there that day...good game too..

Kurt Angle

First Grade
deluded pom? said:
I don't think playing Aus and NZ on too regular an occasion helps

That is one reason why I'd like one cuontry to host a 4 nations tournament, not being shared.

It'd be good for NZ to host all 7 games, as well as being 'starved' until their next tournament.

roughyedspud said:
i really hope the england v australia game in the 2009 4 nations is going to be a wembley..i think theres a good chance it might be too.....

either wembley or the city of manchester,

I'd rather pakced houses at Wembley and Old Trafford. Are you forecasting the NZ to be CoM ?

roughyedspud

Coach
yeah... we'd never sellout old trafford for a NZ game...48k @ CoM would be pushing it but because we'd only be playing them once it would force people to go if they want to see the game..unlike the recent test series when fans can wait for the game to come to them, like me who could'nt be arsed going over to hull for the 2nd test but went to huddersfield & wig*n tests because they are only 20mins away...

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Last test me a mate and the mrs went too was the NZ v GB test at Christchurch in 06, we drove about 2 hours or so to get to it. Great game to i might and there was plenty of English fans there also.

roughyedspud

Coach
i know it's easy to say but NZ don't play enough tests @ home,no wonder the NZRL are broke..i would imagine games against tonga & samoa have the potential to be pretty big draws in NZ..

in fact if i was andrew chalmers i'd organise games against those 2 while the aussies are playing SoO...NZ would probably get away with not having their ESL players for games against tonga & samoa too.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
i know it's easy to say but NZ don't play enough tests @ home,no wonder the NZRL are broke..i would imagine games against tonga & samoa have the potential to be pretty big draws in NZ..

in fact if i was andrew chalmers i'd organise games against those 2 while the aussies are playing SoO...NZ would probably get away with not having their ESL players for games against tonga & samoa too

Good idea seeing as there would be alot of former NZ internationals playing for Samoa and Tonga.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
1993 Wembley game between NZ and GB drew 36,131. Not bad considering the previous series crowds were 18, 13 and 20,000.

I think tests being played at night live on TV has had an effect also teams don't tour like they use to, so you don't get the build up.

winnyason

Juniors
I would love to see australia vs england quad series at old trafford or wembley it has to happen for a young kid growing up it makes you want to be a kangaroo.

deluded pom?

Coach
Pre SL tours would come to the UK when the British season was still getting into it's stride and there was still plenty of enthusiasm for the game whereas now internationals come at the end of a long ,expensive, arduous season and tests the committment of all but the diehards.

roughyedspud

Coach
i think we can rule out old trafford for any game,alex ferguson has a sh*t fit when 1 game a season is played there, the SL grand final.....we've got f**ks chance of playing another game there a few weeks later..

we'll have to stick to places like wembley,Coms or elland road..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont know the capacity of Elland Road, but didnt they get nearly 40,000 for the Tri Nations final and also the World Club Challenge between Leeds and Canterbury.

I reckon play more tests there

Knight87

Juniors
winnyason said:
The poms & aussies played at packed houses during the kangaroo tours of 94 & 90 at big ticket venues like ellen road, old trafford & wembly & the 92 world cup final at wembley.
The question is what has happened since those days it got to last year the kiwis playing poms at knowley road which holds about 10 thousand.
Let's hope the poms revival will see there 2009 quad series match vs aussies at wembley that would be awesome let's hope it happens.

I started a similar thread to this some while back. I agree with everything you said. I'd love to see Test matches go back to the big venues, and it would be great if the Poms could take on the Aussies in the opening match at Wembley Stadium of the 2009 Quad series