What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Offiah?

dibviking

Juniors
Alex Murphy once went to the board of directors at St.Helens to ask permission to sign a winger from rugby union, he was told no because that winger isnt good enough, so Doug Laughton signed him for Widnes, that winger was martin offiah, best winger to have lived FACT, 181 tries in 145 games for widnes when he was part time, hatrick in the title decider against wigan in 89 and also scorer v canberra in world club challenge, then went onto wigan for a world record fee of £440,000 (which was only broken in 2006 when Fielden went to wigan from bradford) and the rest is history.

I am lucky to be a widnes fan and to have seen such talent, also i went to his house once because my old man mowed his lawn, starstruck aint the word but i was only a nipper

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Offiah had more than speed. He was deceptively strong with the ball, had amazing balance and could beat a fullback one-on-one with complete ease. Of the compilation one that sticks out is for London at Wembley against Leeds - old, not as quick as he was, but the second he got the ball 50 yards out it was a try. He just knew exactly what he was doing. That was a gift he had from the first time he played RL.

One thing that just doesn't come across in some clips is how he could literally run right around players - including fairly quick wingers - before straightening up and going for the line. I've never seen a player before or since who could do that the way he could.

I wouldn't say he was the best ever, but there has been no better sight ball in hand than Offiah in the years I've watched RL (since '81).

Walt Flanigan

Referee
In the 94 test series he made more metres backward than forward. One of the most inept performances I've ever seen.

nqboy

First Grade
A wonderful attacking player, one of the best finishers the game has seen.

His defence? Well, let's see, it started poorly, fell away a bit in the middle and the less said about the ending the better.

But I'd give my hard-earned to watch him again.

Packy

Bench
I wonder where our current quick players would be compared to Offiah in speed?

I know he is unpopular but I think Fathead Ferguson could be a sensational winger by the time he retires.

Noa

First Grade
Good to see the Roosters have worked hard on building their crowds over the past 21 years lol.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nice history lesson there...10 tries in 1 game, amazing.

I'm in my early 20s so remember from about 95 onwards...Matt Sing is the best i've seen. Had it all

nqboy

First Grade
I'm in my early 20s so remember from about 95 onwards...Matt Sing is the best i've seen. Had it all
I don't think he'd get many votes for the best winger in that time. Good finisher but great try-stopper, how many tries did he save by rolling blokes onto their back over the tryline?

Gary Jack pioneered that skill in the 80s but it largely went unimproved on from that time until Matt Sing made it an artform.

adamkungl

Immortal
His ability to do something freakish in the ingoal to either score or save a try stands out.

On a side note - I've seen Folau and El masri nominated in top 5s in this thread :lol: fmd

Mr Fourex

Bench
Folau had no weaknesses.........speed, hands, strength, defence, high ball ....all round great winger in such a short time.

Almost unstoppable

cepting for AFL

...sigh

IanG

Coach
not as quick as Lee Oudenryn

yeah i remember that sprint race. At half time of a tour game that Great Britain played against Parramatta in 1992

But I remember one game I heard on radio playing against the Knights at Kogarah and he carved us up. Loved his name too, had this mental image of him leaving a fire trail behind him as he ran

Wests is Best

Juniors
I went to watch offiah play for st. george against the roosters at the sfs back in the early 90's. talking in the car on the way to the game i was geeing up my cocky rooster mates and my prediction was easts will get smashed and offiah will get 3 tries. My mates were trying to tell me that Dennis Beecraft would smash him!
Sure enough martin offiah scored 3 tries that night! and the roosters got belted :)

nqboy

First Grade
yeah i remember that sprint race. At half time of a tour game that Great Britain played against Parramatta in 1992
Do you remember the story that it was all a fix and that the GB touring fans won thousands backing Oudenr-etc?