What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Offiah?

Perth Red

Post Whore
He is still one of the best known RL players ever in the UK. He was a marketing managers dream, I remember the Chariots Offiah posters that covered the tube stations in london back in the day when we use to market Int RL!

offiah-challenge-cup-ad.jpg

JamesRustle

First Grade
The try JAC scored from dummy half against the Warriors 2 weeks ago reminded me of a try Chariots scored while playing for St George (must have been 91). Went looking for you tube of it but was unsuccessful. Foundbthis thread though and thought someone might have more success than me in locating the footage.

JAC also reminds me a bit of Chariots in his playing style. Speed to burn and a very balanced and evasive running style.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Superb athlete and a devastating winger.

Constantly under-utilised by GB in Test matches vs Australia (accounts for the misconception in this country); often had to create things on his own, like his 1988 try off the scrum.

While his front on defence wasn't the best in the game, he had the speed to pick players up in cover and did so regularly. There was no easy way through his wing for the 1990 Kangaroos for instance.

He nearly freaked a try off the kick off in the crucial third Test of that series at Elland Road.

No coincidence that when Ricky Stuart made that famous break from his own line in injury time for Meninga to score THAT famous try at Manchester in 1990, Offiah had been replaced with a leg injury.

Had he not I have no doubt he would have caught Stuart and shut the movement down before it was too late.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'm 40

No way he'd make it into my top 5. Below list is in their prime fully fit.

1. E Grothe Snr
2. Kerry Boustead
3. Wendell
4. L Corowa
5. Hazem

Pleeease, whilst they are good wingers, he sits very comfortably with any of these players. He was a similar type to Corowa but better.

gregstar

Referee
Great finisher.

Crap defender.
Really crap.

But saved by his speed. And his speed was awesome. And his anticipation was wonderful as well.

gUt

Coach
One winger I always loved to watch play was Ricky Walford. Smoothest running style I've seen apart from the Pearl.

gregstar

Referee
One winger I always loved to watch play was Ricky Walford. Smoothest running style I've seen apart from the Pearl.
I didn't see Walford's running style as smooth.

one of the smoothest running styles i thought was michael o'connor.

brett mullins had a wonderful running style as well.

Last edited:
Superb athlete and a devastating winger.

Constantly under-utilised by GB in Test matches vs Australia (accounts for the misconception in this country); often had to create things on his own, like his 1988 try off the scrum.

While his front on defence wasn't the best in the game, he had the speed to pick players up in cover and did so regularly. There was no easy way through his wing for the 1990 Kangaroos for instance.

He nearly freaked a try off the kick off in the crucial third Test of that series at Elland Road.

While playing for Widnes, his penchant for following the ball across field in attack saw him score bucket loads of tries. For Wigan, he developed into the world's best winger as exemplified by the 1994 Challenge Cup try he ran in from 90m on his own.

A great winger to rank in the sort of top shelf company reserved for Rosenfeld, Bevan, Cooper, Grothe, Van Vollenhoven, Edwards, Irvine, Cantoni, Horder, Batten, Ellaby, Sullivan, Boston and the like.

Thanks for the mention.

T-Boon

Coach
Would Offiah get a game in the NRL as it is now. He is too small to be a winger. Wasn't known for being able to hit the ball up. Maybe he could do some dummy half running. I think he wouldn't be big enough all up. He would be a bit smaller than Bevan French but less skilful.

gUt

Coach
Would Offiah get a game in the NRL as it is now. He is too small to be a winger. Wasn't known for being able to hit the ball up. Maybe he could do some dummy half running. I think he wouldn't be big enough all up. He would be a bit smaller than Bevan French but less skilful.

More modern training techniques would bulk him up somewhat but you can't coach speed and he had approx. one shitload of that.