What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is Anthony Mundine not considered racist?

Fibroman

First Grade
Abstudy is significantly better than austudy. From memory a uni student of aboriginal descent is entitled to receive twice as much (or near enough to it) financial assistance from the government as a student not of Aboriginal descent. I can't remember what the financial assistance directly related to univeristy fees is (from memory its free or almost free).

Not complaining. I think this sort of thing is necessary and beneficial. Many Aboriginal students face significant barriers to overcome if they are to enter and succeed in tertiary education (and elsewhere). But its not right to deny that these sort of government policies don't exist or are insignificant.

Yes Aboriginals are granted extra opportunities by the Australian governement to succeed. What the ignorant fail to realise is that they often start from a serious disadvantage (governed by many things, including in some places institutionalised discrimination) that cannot be fully addressed by the concessions they are given.

Spot on. I also think that if we as a country can assist aboiginals to become better educated, this will have a flow on through the aboriginal community. By having a better educated community, there is a higher chance of breaking down the barriers between races.

nqcowboy87

Bench
lets just sort something out, what johns said was ignorant, disrespectful and that kinda stuff is not on as its demaning to a certain race. but racism can exist beteween a minority and a majority just as it does vice versa. sexism is the ideology that one sex is superior and a lot of men say men are superior and a lot of women especially your hard core extremist lesbians say they are despite being the more oppressed sex through out history. so race-rascist/racism is the ideology that a certain race is better than an other one. sure the indigenous population has been the oppressed min ority for most of the history of australia but that wouldnt stop them from saying where black and where better. just look at the black panther movement and the extremist sects of that organisation. i mean even anthony mundine uses the term black magic which implies that they have something white people dont, even though the phrase is kinda condescending

Eels Dude

Coach
I know, we're dependent on people like you - who think that just because we as Australians aren't walking up to Aboriginals and saying, hey f**k you black merkin- we're not racist.

Ones that think it's possible for Aboriginals to be racist against white people just because they don't like us, or they shout names at us when we walk past, even though they have nothing in today's society and will most likely die 20 years before us.

It's not simple, racism is the most complex problem in the world (so many wars, genocide etc), these academics are researching it and explaining it to convey to people that it's not just as simple as people think it is - to try to change Australia for the better.

You're looking at a branch of the tree rather than looking at the trunk which is where you fail. Sure, you're correct in some ways, Australia can be rascist but Australia isn't just white people. Instead of these researchers doing research maybe they should be more productive and educate the masses rather than a few select people who happen to read their works. Rascism down to a tee, is still just a form of discrimination. You can branch it off as much as you like but that's the overall trunk of the tree. Why stop at Aboriginals?

Let's consider the other minority ethnic groups in Australia because they are plenty... Can they not be rascist either even if they act that way? A lot certainly do I can tell you that.

And how would you define an individual and what criteria they must meet to be called a rascist?

hellteam

First Grade
You're looking at a branch of the tree rather than looking at the trunk which is where you fail. Sure, you're correct in some ways, Australia can be rascist but Australia isn't just white people. Instead of these researchers doing research maybe they should be more productive and educate the masses rather than a few select people who happen to read their works. Rascism down to a tee, is still just a form of discrimination. You can branch it off as much as you like but that's the overall trunk of the tree. Why stop at Aboriginals?

Let's consider the other minority ethnic groups in Australia because they are plenty... Can they not be rascist either even if they act that way? A lot certainly do I can tell you that.

And how would you define an individual and what criteria they must meet to be called a rascist?

The researchers are targeting people who are supposed to be future leaders in the community, I'm not saying that's not me by any shot but people in important positions will read them, who are then supposed to create policies and educate the masses.

Racism is more then discrimination, because for it to happen it doesn't necessarily mean anyone has to do anything. It's so engrained in our culture, that by us simply living our lives normally it continues.

Defining someone as a racist is not easy, there's the obvious ones (white supremacists etc), but to a certain extent everyone is racist, albeit not 'purposefully'. Racism isn't just about individuals, it's about the whole community. We voted for the Howard Government, and that was most definitely racist. As I've said, minorities in Australian society can racially abuse the dominant race in society, but they are not truly practicing racism.

Can you see that we are working off different definitions of racism here? Just because yours is different and you think mine is too complex it doesn't make me wrong.

drake

First Grade
Seriously, if we are treating people equally, we will call a racist a racist, regardless of skin colour or ethnic heritage.

Racism is, in my opinion, understandable for Indigenous Australians, because let's face it, most people (and I'm not just talking white anglo celtic Australians) are either scared of them, convinced they are all petrol huffing thieves or pity them. The track record for the way they were treated as a whole is pretty f**king ugly. No wonder many Aboriginal Elders do not trust the government and influential white people in general. Generally, the only people that don't make knee jerk reactions are those that have had friends or neighbours of indigenous descent.

My experiences are based on life in Sydney, where Aboriginal Australians are way into the monority. I'm led to believe it's a lot different in other places like Perth. I don't know.

People is people, regardless. Most are narrow minded and blinkered fools that still believe the fairy tales their parents told them about the evil (insert race here).

Whether Mundine is really a racist, I don't know. What he is in my opinion, is a sportsman that never reached his full potential, and never had the confidence that Australia would back him the way his father and other aboriginal sportsmen were backed, so he created an anti-white persona, hoping to get rich on 'crackers' paying to watch him get flattened by the next patsy he fought. He's a wannabe Muhammad Ali, without the ability with mouth or fists.

voltron

Juniors
according to phil rothfield
mundine has been in tahu's ear lately.......
sigh, will that genius ever go away?
first SBW, now this....

Noa

First Grade
Abstudy is significantly better than austudy. From memory a uni student of aboriginal descent is entitled to receive twice as much (or near enough to it) financial assistance from the government as a student not of Aboriginal descent. I can't remember what the financial assistance directly related to univeristy fees is (from memory its free or almost free).

Not complaining. I think this sort of thing is necessary and beneficial. Many Aboriginal students face significant barriers to overcome if they are to enter and succeed in tertiary education (and elsewhere). But its not right to deny that these sort of government policies don't exist or are insignificant.

Yes Aboriginals are granted extra opportunities by the Australian governement to succeed. What the ignorant fail to realise is that they often start from a serious disadvantage (governed by many things, including in some places institutionalised discrimination) that cannot be fully addressed by the concessions they are given.

Dont know about now but none of that is remotely true, and I was a benefit of Abstudy in the 90's. Its exactly the same as Austudy the only difference you didnt have as muc forms to fill and prove things like your parents income.

Doomednow

Bench
Dont know about now but none of that is remotely true, and I was a benefit of Abstudy in the 90's. Its exactly the same as Austudy the only difference you didnt have as muc forms to fill and prove things like your parents income.

I knew a girl on abstudy when I was at uni (within the last 3 - 4 years) who was receiving over or near enough to $800 a fortnight on abstudy, with living out of home allowance included. I was entitled to at most $400 (maybe a little over) but rarely received that much because I was working at the time as well.

Just want to mention again that I'm not complaining about it. My allowance was more than enough to sustain me.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Off the top of my head i know for a fact that Abstudy and youth allowance are about the same FOR THAT AGE GROUP. I am fairly sure there is a significant increase in allowance once an indigenous student gets past 21 though.

There are bonuses in abstudy like for example funding post-graduate studies rather generously but for the most part its not all that significantly higher than the equivalent payment.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/abstudy_rates.htm

gronkathon

First Grade
This argument seems bogged down in semantics about what racism actually is. I don't see how it is really relevant to the overall debate on the issue of Anthony Mundine.

The simple fact is that Mr Mundine is a predudiced biggot and very typical of one at that. He has very little idea of the complex issue that is race relations in any nation colonised in recent history.

This is demonstrated by the way he speaks on the issue. He is more interested in a sound byte than the issue at hand. His lack of education is also a common thread with most biggots as is his nature to prejudge an entire group based on the expressed language of one and translating it back to cover up his own failures.

The only way Mundine can keep his bombast in tact is not to recognise that he was never picked for State Of Origin matches based on his glaring defensive issues and glad bag of brain explosion plays. Instead it must be because he is of Aboriginal descent.

Finally one cannot really discuss the puppet without the puppet master, that being Khoder Nasser. A man who regularily spent his time at Wollongong Uni distributing material designed to encourage hatred of the Jewish people.

For those doubting the puppet/puppetmaster relationship watch Mr Mundines comments after September 11th again. There is a reason he stammers when questioned on his statements. He was merely regurgitating rhetoric and therefore has no idea on how to answer questions.

Mr Mundine wants to be seen in the same light as Ali in regard to his impact on race relations in sport and that is why phrases such as cracker are dragged by him out of Americana into a society where they lack any real direct meaning. Unfortunatley the puppet will be no more than a name in a few sporting almanacs in the future.

Bottom line is that Anthony Mundine is, in the end, a pawn with very little clue but alot of charisma and sporting prowess. I think pathetic individual is a better summation of Mr. A Mundine than racist ever could be

RABK

Referee
"Derek Vinyard: We're so hung up on this notion that we have some obligation to help the struggling black man, you know. Cut him some slack until he can overcome these historical injustices. It's crap. I mean, Christ, Lincoln freed the slaves, like, what? 130 years ago. How long does it take to get your act together?"

Vinyard vs Mundine, make it happen. KO to vinyard via kerb stomp in the 2nd round.

nqcowboy87

Bench
This argument seems bogged down in semantics about what racism actually is. I don't see how it is really relevant to the overall debate on the issue of Anthony Mundine.

The simple fact is that Mr Mundine is a predudiced biggot and very typical of one at that. He has very little idea of the complex issue that is race relations in any nation colonised in recent history.

This is demonstrated by the way he speaks on the issue. He is more interested in a sound byte than the issue at hand. His lack of education is also a common thread with most biggots as is his nature to prejudge an entire group based on the expressed language of one and translating it back to cover up his own failures.

The only way Mundine can keep his bombast in tact is not to recognise that he was never picked for State Of Origin matches based on his glaring defensive issues and glad bag of brain explosion plays. Instead it must be because he is of Aboriginal descent.

Finally one cannot really discuss the puppet without the puppet master, that being Khoder Nasser. A man who regularily spent his time at Wollongong Uni distributing material designed to encourage hatred of the Jewish people.

For those doubting the puppet/puppetmaster relationship watch Mr Mundines comments after September 11th again. There is a reason he stammers when questioned on his statements. He was merely regurgitating rhetoric and therefore has no idea on how to answer questions.

Mr Mundine wants to be seen in the same light as Ali in regard to his impact on race relations in sport and that is why phrases such as cracker are dragged by him out of Americana into a society where they lack any real direct meaning. Unfortunatley the puppet will be no more than a name in a few sporting almanacs in the future.

Bottom line is that Anthony Mundine is, in the end, a pawn with very little clue but alot of charisma and sporting prowess. I think pathetic individual is a better summation of Mr. A Mundine than racist ever could be

well said