What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is it you all think halves win games?

ACTPanthers

Bench
Api's try vs Souths case in point. Martin or Yeo got quick play the ball and Api scooted out and scored a controversial try to begin laying on the points. On many other occasions, they'll get the defence rolling backwards and then Cleary and Luai can run amok.
What was controversial about that try?

big hit!

Bench
What was controversial about that try?

Whether or not it was grounded properly. Doesn't matter anyway. Kikau found his front, the Souths markers were poor, they caught Souths on the back foot and Api was able to scoot more than 20m to get there.

DaveMc

Juniors
Whether or not it was grounded properly. Doesn't matter anyway. Kikau found his front, the Souths markers were poor, they caught Souths on the back foot and Api was able to scoot more than 20m to get there.
I read somewhere arguing it should’ve been disallowed because Kikau took out the markers. I personally think it was just a case of a very good, quick play the ball that skittled the markers and took them out of play.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Yeah, there was nothing controversial about it brother - IMO anyway... I may be somewhat biased though ;)

big hit!

Bench
Yeah, there was nothing controversial about it brother - IMO anyway... I may be somewhat biased though ;)

If you somehow feel threatened that the legitimacy of Penrith's win is in question because of that try, then don't worry. Penrith were already getting on top by then, and the points were going to come eventually.

big hit!

Bench
I read somewhere arguing it should’ve been disallowed because Kikau took out the markers. I personally think it was just a case of a very good, quick play the ball that skittled the markers and took them out of play.

Yeah, He got the ball down quick for the PTB, but he won the initial contact and found his front, and winning the tackle generally leads to winning the play the ball, and winning the play the ball gets your team moving forward while markers are still getting to their feet, and defenders are getting back into the defensive line. That's where great #9s get a hard on!

betcats

Referee
Hooker is certainly one of the most important positions on the field but even the greatest we have ever seen(Smith) needed gun halves for all of his premierships, you basically cant win it all without gun halves. Look at the last ten premiership winning halves they are almost all reps or future reps. Really only the Chad and Widdop are the outliers even though Widdop is a international rep he is a class below most on this list.

Cleary/Luai
Hughes/Munster
Cronk/Keary
Cronk/Keary
Cronk/Munster
The Chad/Maloney
Thurston/Morgan
Reynolds/Keary
Pearce/Maloney
Cronk/Widdop

Munky

Coach
Hooker is certainly one of the most important positions on the field but even the greatest we have ever seen(Smith) needed gun halves for all of his premierships, you basically cant win it all without gun halves. Look at the last ten premiership winning halves they are almost all reps or future reps. Really only the Chad and Widdop are the outliers even though Widdop is a international rep he is a class below most on this list.

Cleary/Luai
Hughes/Munster
Cronk/Keary
Cronk/Keary
Cronk/Munster
The Chad/Maloney
Thurston/Morgan
Reynolds/Keary
Pearce/Maloney
Cronk/Widdop

Add the Hooker and they most likely are a rep player too.

Api
Smith
Friend
Friend
Smith
Ennis
Granville (an outlier?)
Api (with Luke suspended)
Friend
Smith

I don't think Friend is as good as some of the other players on the list but was still an excellent player. Granville was on fire that season but didn't seem to improve, maybe a Cowboys fan can chip in on what happened to his form line.

You would end up with a similar list with fullbacks too.

It pretty much shows you need gun players in at least the entire spine. Maybe carry one less than rep standard player as part of the four.

betcats

Referee
Add the Hooker and they most likely are a rep player too.

Api
Smith
Friend
Friend
Smith
Ennis
Granville (an outlier?)
Api (with Luke suspended)
Friend
Smith

I don't think Friend is as good as some of the other players on the list but was still an excellent player. Granville was on fire that season but didn't seem to improve, maybe a Cowboys fan can chip in on what happened to his form line.

You would end up with a similar list with fullbacks too.

It pretty much shows you need gun players in at least the entire spine. Maybe carry one less than rep standard player as part of the four.

Yeah Granville is a bit of an outlier and Friend missed one of the roosters recent grand finals with Verrils filling in. You are right you basically need a gun spine and some good forwards. Its hard to point at the most important position but as long as you have at least 3 or 4 guns in the spine and a very good pack you will be thereabouts.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think if it came down to it if my team was chasing 6 points with 5 minutes to go I'd rather a gun half or fullback as opposed to a gun hooker but it is a very important position obviously.

Api will improve the Tigers but not sure he's getting them to top 8 in 2023.
I take this s bet. 12 internet points.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Aaron Woods, thinks he is a half.

Props like him can lose a game. And Wingers deadset, every last one needs a slap from thier mother.

STAY ON YOUR WING!

Regardless, It starts from dummy half.

It kills me, it is like no one watched Cameron Smith for a decade.

Old man yells at cloud....

Munky

Coach
The game manager wins games.

What position they play is irrelevant. The Storm were blessed for years in that they had Orford/Cronk and Smith who could execute a game plan and control tempo perfectly.

Since 1998 the Gf winner had a rep level game manager (except Chad).

Langer
Kimmorley
Walters/Lockyer
Johns
Fittler
Gower
Sherwin (would have played for NSW in 2004 but was injured).
Prince
Lockyer
Smith/Cronk
Orford
Smith/Cronk
Soward
DCE
Smith/Cronk
Pearce
Reynolds
Thurston
Chad
Smith/Cronk
Cronk
Cronk
Smith
Cleary
Cleary

The weakest players on that list are Pearce and Chad. They each had Maloney next to them who when he bothered to give a shit was the best player on the park.

Bazal

Post Whore
And Wingers deadset, every last one needs a slap from thier mother.

STAY ON YOUR WING!

This is another myth tbh. It's a problem when the winger creates numbers by rushing in when the slide defence has the inside men covered

If the defence has already been stripped of numbers, it's often better for the winger to crunch in and force a decision. At worst the push the try wider, no point staying on your wing and watching the half back stroll over 15m inside