What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much longer will the Raiders endure with David Furner

Our backline is full of hoggers, both centres rarely pass it, I can't remember the last time Ferguson or Wighton got the ball outside of a kick or desperate offload.

We need Moggers back.

It was no coincidence that Vidots try scoring rate went up after he was moved to centre.

I agree the only way our wingers are getting the ball is through cut out passes that bypass the centres.

Phil_22

Juniors
If we punt Furner there are only two coaches that are available that I would consider, and in this order.

1. Ricky Stuart
2. Daniel Anderson

I think a fair bit of our issues related to attitude, the inconsistency in our performances each week suggest this.

We have now played 120 minutes of substandard football this year, combine that with the injuries at key times to key players and we are in the position we are in.

skeepe

Immortal
It's probably our first really bad performance of the year. I think we've started promisingly enough other than Monday.

How we back up will be crucial. A good win against the Warriors and I think we can get back on track. Another performance like Monday's and, to state the obvious, we're in trouble.

bileduct

Coach
We were pretty dismal against the Roosters too, Skeepe. We may have had injuries during that game too but the fact of the matter is that the Roosters were treating the ball like it was radioactive and we were completely exposed as relying on a very small number of players to score our points.

I've said for a long time that our main problem is experience. Most of our players in key positions still have their L plates, just like the coach.

Phil_22

Juniors
Any team worth its salt has a solid spine.

We are missing a top draw hooker and a top draw half back (I think Williams will be one). I would hope that at the top of our next recruitment the hooker position is number one priority.

Our dominance in a lot of games is through our forward pack, but we get let down by poor service our of dummy half. Put a Cam Smith, Issac Luke, Micke Ennis, Robbie Farah or Danny Buderus into our team and we become top 4 imho......

Brimmer

Juniors
Any team worth its salt has a solid spine.

We are missing a top draw hooker and a top draw half back (I think Williams will be one). I would hope that at the top of our next recruitment the hooker position is number one priority.

Our dominance in a lot of games is through our forward pack, but we get let down by poor service our of dummy half. Put a Cam Smith, Issac Luke, Micke Ennis, Robbie Farah or Danny Buderus into our team and we become top 4 imho......

Agreed.

Waddell has the slowest service at dummy half i've ever seen. Buttriss tries hard but in the second half of last weeks game we had numerous people playing dummy half. What's all that about?

Agreed.

Waddell has the slowest service at dummy half i've ever seen. Buttriss tries hard but in the second half of last weeks game we had numerous people playing dummy half. What's all that about?

Because Buttriss was complete crap right from the kickoff. And Waddell no better once he came on.

skeepe

Immortal
Because Buttriss was complete crap right from the kickoff. And Waddell no better once he came on.

Waddell was a little better. He wasn't constantly passing above their heads for one thing.

Buttriss proved once again why he hasn't nailed that spot full time... he's too inconsistent, and the gap between his best performance and his worst is huge.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
A few more weeks of what we dished out yesterday and he'll be out the door soon enough.

Yep I agree aussie, it is a results driven game so DFJ mentioned, and 30 wins and 47 losses for his 3 years and 5 games is pretty poor.

I also think the Board should be accountable for what has transpired as well.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I've had a bit of a cry about this but here is my biggest complaint. On one side of the field is Harrison the worst defensive back rower in the world, campo who is regaining his confidence in defence, Croker who let's face it can be suspect when forced to make a decision and whighton who isn't actually a winger. Am I going mental here. I understand campo will be back to his best but at the moment I know where I would be sending traffic if I were an opposition coach.

mongoose

Coach
I've had a bit of a cry about this but here is my biggest complaint. On one side of the field is Harrison the worst defensive back rower in the world, campo who is regaining his confidence in defence, Croker who let's face it can be suspect when forced to make a decision and whighton who isn't actually a winger. Am I going mental here. I understand campo will be back to his best but at the moment I know where I would be sending traffic if I were an opposition coach.

I'm glad someone else here realises Harrison is a horrible defender, have never understood why he gets a free run into the starting side.

Croker just needs to have more confidence in himself, he's tackling technique is fine, it's just poor decision making that lets him down.

If we can fix that side up we may just become a good defensive team. Our defence up the middle has been pretty good so far and our right side with Berrigan has been very solid, it's just that left side that needs fixing up.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
How good is the communication between Berrigan and Ferguson. We are safe as houses down that side of the field so far this year. It helps that McCrone and Papalii are both brilliant edge defenders and are normally out there. Even with Picker filling in he might not be an especially flashy player but he doesnt miss tackles.

hugzy

Juniors
Man u raidens r groiwng on me. I srsly cant tell the difference between michael jennings and reece robinson any more. Unless they do a closeup of course

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Furner's job safe no matter how sticky it gets: Raiders boss
April 26, 2012

CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre has answered growing speculation about Raiders coach David Furner's future in the job by publicly guaranteeing he won't be sacked.
Asked yesterday if Furner - who is contracted until the end of next season - would survive as coach beyond this year, McIntyre replied: ''David will definitely be the coach next year. The only way that would not be the case is if David made a decision in his own mind not to be the coach, but he is not under any pressure to do that and I've had no indication that he is planning to give the job away.''
Furner, who played 200 games in nine seasons for the Raiders, took over as first-grade coach in 2009. The Raiders made a late-season charge into the finals in 2010, and were only narrowly eliminated by Wests Tigers in the second week of the play-offs, but it was in that game that playmaker Terry Campese's horror injury run began with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.
Canberra began last season awfully, and it was then that calls from fans for Furner to be replaced started. Campese returned midway through the season, but tore a muscle in his groin after just eight minutes. Now, Campese has suffered a third straight season-ending injury, having torn his ACL again.
Making it even more difficult for Furner is the fact star fullback Josh Dugan has missed a lot of games through injury. He played only 13 of 24 last season, and hasn't played since round three this season. The Raiders have also lost representative prop Brett White for the rest of this season with a torn ACL. Ricky Stuart, the NSW coach, has been rumoured as a potential replacement for Furner.
Furner will really feel the pressure if Canberra go on a losing run from here, but McIntyre is adamant that, no matter what happens, the coach will remain in charge next year.
''We've got a proud history of never having sacked a coach,'' McIntyre said. ''We make our bed and we lie in it, and there have been absolutely no discussions about future coaching arrangements. I don't want to give the bloke [Furner] the kiss of death, but I refute any suggestions David is at threat of losing his job.
''The pressure he would be under is personal pressure, which you feel as a coach. We're going to support him through this, the same way we supported Mal [Meninga] after he had broken his arm a couple of times, playing in the '80s. We gave him a five-year contract as a show of solidarity, and he saw that out and more. I've obviously heard Ricky Stuart's name mentioned, but it's completely false to suggest we've had any coaching discussions with Ricky.
''I'm not denying I'm mates with Ricky - he played here and was one of our greats. David and Don [Furner, Canberra's chief executive] are mates with Ricky as well.''

LINK

Never sacked a coach......

Timbo

Staff member
To make a statement like this so early in the season... ugh.

With the cattle we have on the sidelines we could easily only win another 3-5 games. What happens then?

legend

Coach
Another inept performance in the making. Croker and Robinson have been pathetic!

Sam Williams has come up with two forward passes and our defence is piss weak around the middle.

This team sucks and are gutless bastards!

Cryptic

Juniors
We looked good on the two or three times we had the f**king ball... Yet again some BS penalties and less than 40% possession for most of the f**king game.... WTF... Could we just sack half the team already and get people who know how to f**king jump or tackle?