What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much longer will the Raiders endure with David Furner

In all honesty if we dont beat Parra next week , DF shouldnt even rock up to the post match press conference , nor should any player for that fact

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
we might hear of a furner resignation before then but yes, sydraider is correct, no fire will really come of this until post SOO

there is a lot of talk about this though, too much for me to think there is nothing to it

Yeah I agree Nick.

I'm starting to think where there's smoke there's fire.

aussies1st

Staff member
In all honesty if we dont beat Parra next week , DF shouldnt even rock up to the post match press conference , nor should any player for that fact

Eels will be thinking the same thing. Whichever coach loses will probably be the first fired this season.

Timbo

Staff member
Furner is in for long haul, says chairman

Daniel Lane

May 6, 2012
art-353-david-furner-200x0.jpg
Under pressure … Raiders coach David Furner. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre has denied next Sunday's match between the Raiders and last-placed Parramatta will be coach David Furner's final chance to save his job.
Speculation in Canberra was that Furner had today's game against premiers Manly and the round-10 match against the besieged Stephen Kearney's Eels to perform or perish.
However, McIntyre refuted the claim when contacted by The Sun-Herald yesterday. He said he fully supported Furner, a club great who played 200 games for the Raiders and is contracted to coach there until the end of next season.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''I don't know where that has come from. It's a load of rubbish,'' he said. ''I have no idea why [the rumour is out there] but it is one of these things that won't go away. However, it's falling on deaf ears because one of the things about being in isolation [as a one-team city] is there's a fortress around us … but that's not to say we don't cop those sort of suggestions from within our own region, which all I can say is disappointing.''
Canberra had a review of their operations last year after they narrowly avoided the wooden spoon by a points differential and McIntyre stood by his and, indeed, the board's belief that Furner was the right man to steer the club out of the mire.
''I don't want to keep on saying that I have a record of never having sacked a coach, but I do pride myself in that I head an organisation that constantly makes the right decision, and I'm very confident we made the right decision a couple of years ago [when we signed Furner]. I have said it before, he doesn't drop the ball, he doesn't run up out of the line, he doesn't adopt wrong options on the final tackle, and that's some of the problems a coach has when he has a young team,'' McIntyre said.
Furner's potential to be a top coach was supported by the likes of Newcastle's Wayne Bennett, who McIntyre said endorsed the Raiders' decision to appoint him in 2009, while Wests Tigers mentor Tim Sheens recruited him as his assistant for the Kangaroos.
McIntyre said that while Furner was in the unenviable position of having lost star playmaker Terry Campese and enforcer Brett White - both internationals - to season-ending knee injuries, he had shown strength to not use their injuries as an excuse for the club being in 13th place.
''He doesn't use the excuse of losing two of his best players, which means at least 20 per cent of our $4.2 million salary cap is sitting on the sideline for the rest of the season, and because of the salary cap you don't have quality replacements available to take their place. It means you bring young fellows on and you keep your fingers crossed they haven't been brought up too soon.''
McIntyre said the rumours about Furner's future had brought the team closer together.
''One of the things we firmly believe in, and it is something right throughout the club, is something very positive can come out of adversity,'' he said.
The Sun-Herald tried to contact Furner for comment yesterday but he did not respond.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ys-chairman-20120505-1y5o5.html#ixzz1u33zzrh5

---------------------------------------

*sigh*

Really, this is getting farcical. I mean, it already was but it's getting more ridiculous each passing day.

McIntyre won't be happy untill our home crowds are ~5,000.

It's seriously starting to read like McIntyre - who, incidently is the one who keeps saying all this shit - just can't handle being told he f**ked up when, as chairman, he appointe Furner as coach.

Anyway, getting harder to care. The board just seems content to run us into the ground.

shear_joy9

Coach
the man embarrasses himself and club every time he opens his mouth.

the old fool needs to be put out to pasture

skeepe

Immortal
I have enormous respect for Les McIntyre. Without him the Raiders don't exist.

John on the other hand... I really, really wish he would shut up. He is completely out of touch with the supporter base, and I have to wonder about the motivation for some of his comments. If you're Sam Williams, how would you feel hearing a board member of the club say that he doesn't consider you a quality replacement? I can't imagine it would do much for the lady's confidence that's for sure.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Basically they showed a lot of good things against Manly especially line speed. If we take that to Parra all things being equal we should beat them. If we lose though I can't see how Furners position would even be tenable any more. This is his must win game for sure.

Raider_69

Post Whore

John on the other hand... I really, really wish he would shut up. He is completely out of touch with the supporter base, and I have to wonder about the motivation for some of his comments. If you're Sam Williams, how would you feel hearing a board member of the club say that he doesn't consider you a quality replacement? I can't imagine it would do much for the lady's confidence that's for sure.

I dont think calling him a lady will do his confidence any good either! :p

sydraider

First Grade

I keep hearing Sam williams is on the outer, any truth to that?

Furner is in for long haul, says chairman

Daniel Lane

May 6, 2012
art-353-david-furner-200x0.jpg
Under pressure … Raiders coach David Furner. Photo: Jeffrey Chan

CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre has denied next Sunday's match between the Raiders and last-placed Parramatta will be coach David Furner's final chance to save his job.
Speculation in Canberra was that Furner had today's game against premiers Manly and the round-10 match against the besieged Stephen Kearney's Eels to perform or perish.
However, McIntyre refuted the claim when contacted by The Sun-Herald yesterday. He said he fully supported Furner, a club great who played 200 games for the Raiders and is contracted to coach there until the end of next season.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''I don't know where that has come from. It's a load of rubbish,'' he said. ''I have no idea why [the rumour is out there] but it is one of these things that won't go away. However, it's falling on deaf ears because one of the things about being in isolation [as a one-team city] is there's a fortress around us … but that's not to say we don't cop those sort of suggestions from within our own region, which all I can say is disappointing.''
Canberra had a review of their operations last year after they narrowly avoided the wooden spoon by a points differential and McIntyre stood by his and, indeed, the board's belief that Furner was the right man to steer the club out of the mire.
''I don't want to keep on saying that I have a record of never having sacked a coach, but I do pride myself in that I head an organisation that constantly makes the right decision, and I'm very confident we made the right decision a couple of years ago [when we signed Furner]. I have said it before, he doesn't drop the ball, he doesn't run up out of the line, he doesn't adopt wrong options on the final tackle, and that's some of the problems a coach has when he has a young team,'' McIntyre said.
Furner's potential to be a top coach was supported by the likes of Newcastle's Wayne Bennett, who McIntyre said endorsed the Raiders' decision to appoint him in 2009, while Wests Tigers mentor Tim Sheens recruited him as his assistant for the Kangaroos.
McIntyre said that while Furner was in the unenviable position of having lost star playmaker Terry Campese and enforcer Brett White - both internationals - to season-ending knee injuries, he had shown strength to not use their injuries as an excuse for the club being in 13th place.
''He doesn't use the excuse of losing two of his best players, which means at least 20 per cent of our $4.2 million salary cap is sitting on the sideline for the rest of the season, and because of the salary cap you don't have quality replacements available to take their place. It means you bring young fellows on and you keep your fingers crossed they haven't been brought up too soon.''
McIntyre said the rumours about Furner's future had brought the team closer together.
''One of the things we firmly believe in, and it is something right throughout the club, is something very positive can come out of adversity,'' he said.
The Sun-Herald tried to contact Furner for comment yesterday but he did not respond.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ys-chairman-20120505-1y5o5.html#ixzz1u33zzrh5

---------------------------------------

*sigh*

Really, this is getting farcical. I mean, it already was but it's getting more ridiculous each passing day.

McIntyre won't be happy untill our home crowds are ~5,000.

It's seriously starting to read like McIntyre - who, incidently is the one who keeps saying all this shit - just can't handle being told he f**ked up when, as chairman, he appointe Furner as coach.

Anyway, getting harder to care. The board just seems content to run us into the ground.

If anyone ever asks the question as to why the Raiders have been dreadful for the past 15 odd years, you look no further than John McIntyre as your answer.

The bloke is the root of all of our problems.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The ARL Commission has served Canberra a $10,000 breach notice after Raiders coach David Furner criticised the referees following the NRL loss to Manly.
Furner was furious following the 18-12 loss at Brookvale Oval, after his side was on the wrong end of a an 8-3 penalty count.
"What I look at is the overall penalty count - 8-3," Furner said after the game.
"Now we're not nearly a three times worse side in discipline than Manly.
"I don't think anybody expected us to come here and win ... maybe not them (referees)."
The ARLC said coaches, officials and players could criticise decisions but Furner had overstepped the mark by questioning the integrity of referees Jared Maxwell and Tony De Las Heras.
"Coaches have the right to criticise a referee's performance and to express their views, but questioning a match official's integrity is unacceptable," ARLC general manager of football Operations Nathan McGuirk said.
"There was a clear inference in Mr Furner's comments that the match officials had a predetermined view of the result of the game."
The Raiders will have five working days to respond to the breach notice.
LINK

Who pays? David or the club?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah Cornish looks the goods. Great attitude and doesn't look like he would be intimidated by First Grade.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I've heard that as well.

if let go I'm sure he would make the club regret it

Not sure about that. I don't see Williams as the great white hope that others do.

Makes poor decisions and struggles to get the ball wide.

He's got a lot to overcome to become a good halfback.

legend

Coach
Williams will need to guide the Raiders to the finals if he is to have a future with the Raiders.

No excuses.

Cryptic

Juniors
Cornish really impressed me in what I've seen of him so far, also appears a fair bit bigger than William which is always a bonus if they don't lose the mobility.

I would stick with Williams and see what happens however... Maybe give Cornish a go should more injuries come up or someone hits a big(er) form slump.

Latest posts