What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to close League’s international gap

typicalfan

Coach
An idea would be to allow players to have a secondary nation if and when necessary to allow them to be eligible in situations where there is a chance they can represent a lesser ranked nation. Outside of say the big 3, Akuila Uate can pledge allegiance to Australia primarily and Fiji secondly.

It may create situations where players play for two nations but it could be a good system as depth grows in these nations.

RHCP

Bench
If your country qualifies as a 'minnow', as long as you fit the necessary criteria (which for Queenslanders is a weekend on the Gold Coast) you can play State of Origin and still represent said minnow. No Kiwis or Englishmen though.

Organise some more genuine rep games for these countries too and players might be more inclined to pledge their allegiance.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
mate, get real. The reason league isn't taken seriously as an international sport is, simply, because league is NOT an international sport. End of story. You're not going to fool people with manufactured teams. Whether players should be able to jump from one team to another should be the least of league's worries.

Derp.

Get a clue idiot, if you want to troll, there's a thread in this forum for trolls to do their thing or there's TFC where you can troll/debate your BS till the sheep come home.

Balls to international matches, it's all contrived rubbish. Have a club World Cup. We're all one world. I detest this nationalism that comes out.

Balls to international matches, it's all contrived rubbish. Have a club World Cup. We're all one world. I detest this nationalism that comes out.
Get the f**k off here its obvious you have zero interest in rugby league as well. Tell me why do you post here? when it is obvious you are not a fan! get a life

deluded pom?

Coach
If it was one country for life Uate would have been committed to Aus from when he played for Aus schoolboys at 17 - when he had been in the country for a year and could only speak broken English.

And he might well have been sat on his sofa watching Fiji take part in the WC as there was no guarantee he'd be good enough for Australia. It would have been his choice to sit and wait for a phone call that might never come.

Number 16

Juniors
have a under 20's world cup and tie players into 1nation for life from that age
I agree that the game should have age-group World Cups, but not only at U20, also U16 and U18. Eight team finals with four qualifiers to join the hosts and England, NZ and Australia. The comps. should be bi-annual and held in the lesser as well as major RL playing nations.

I think I'm right in saying that the European Union law (and 'international sports law' - a loose concept but recognised by most major sporting authorities) doesn't allow for one country to 'tie-in' players who've played international sport under the age of 21.

roughyedspud

Coach
does it look like i know European union law?? ;-)

could a argument be made that it is'nt the country tie-ing the players in...its the players themselves tie-ing themselves in and making them accountable for their choice

whats strange is quite a few people on here reckon you can't make a 20 year old decide what country he wants to play for for the rest of his career....yet if that lad was 16,17,18 he's deemed responsible enough to work,drink,drive ,get married,vote and sign up and go to war etc....but good forbid you ask him to choose between PNG or australia :crazy:

franklin2323

Immortal
There'd still be players that don't make the WC teams and are dual qualified 'spud.

True but they can't play NRL or ESL until they choose. If they haven't taken the field & want to change & 2 year waiting list applies. It will stop the nation hopping. Also it will stop cases like Tuiaki being plucked from Tonga. Make NRL & then change to NZ

hutch

First Grade
Also it will stop cases like Tuiaki being plucked from Tonga. Make NRL & then change to NZ

Then miss the nz world cup squad so takes the rlif to court to try and get back to play for tonga during the world cup, and then return and play for nz the next year again anyway!

franklin2323

Immortal
Then miss the nz world cup squad so takes the rlif to court to try and get back to play for tonga during the world cup, and then return and play for nz the next year again anyway!

That to. I can't see any reason other then money as to why Uate will be in Green & Gold next month. Again Aus, NZ & Eng won't stop picking the best they can. Players will always go the bigger nation. So take the chance to change away from both

Couldn't agree with you more dude!! It's all rubbish, half the teams are contrived anyway. The 3-nations (or is it 4-nations now?) is a joke competition. They can't even organise a timely world cup (when is the next one?). The Kiwis last world cup winning captain was an Aussie. Why do Kiwis want to pretend that Aussies are Kiwis? As a Kiwi, I'm offended.

So because I want tough eligibility laws I am a redneck?

you're a redneck if you complain about Hayne playing for Aus. As I said, get real. If the eligibility rules were that tough do you think Hayne would even have played for Fiji in the first place? Doubt it. In fact, if it was one nation for life as some in here want, I'm not so sure Reed would have decided to become a Pom either. I'm not saying I think he'll be back playing for QLD after the next world cup, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was. And of course if that were to happen, the usual suspects in here would be moaning about him being 'enticed' by origin.