What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to close League’s international gap

roughyedspud

Coach
Couldn't agree with you more dude!! It's all rubbish, half the teams are contrived anyway. The 3-nations (or is it 4-nations now?) is a joke competition. They can't even organise a timely world cup (when is the next one?). .

it was moved to 2013 from 2012 to avoid something called the london 2012 summer olympics...you heard of that ?

hutch

First Grade
you're a redneck if you complain about Hayne playing for Aus. As I said, get real. If the eligibility rules were that tough do you think Hayne would even have played for Fiji in the first place? Doubt it. In fact, if it was one nation for life as some in here want, I'm not so sure Reed would have decided to become a Pom either. I'm not saying I think he'll be back playing for QLD after the next world cup, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was. And of course if that were to happen, the usual suspects in here would be moaning about him being 'enticed' by origin.

Considering hayne played for Australia first, he wouldn't have been eligible for Fiji and wouldn't of made a mockery of our sport! As for reed, who knows who he would play for if the rules were stricter, but at least all players would know the consequences of their actions and we can start to be on our way to grow the international game!

Btw your constant trolling of the international section is getting old, and you havnt answers my question as to why you think rugby league is not an international game?

WireMan

Bench
Wales isn't a country/nation.

Nope, its just a region of England.

you're a redneck if you complain about Hayne playing for Aus. As I said, get real. If the eligibility rules were that tough do you think Hayne would even have played for Fiji in the first place? Doubt it. In fact, if it was one nation for life as some in here want, I'm not so sure Reed would have decided to become a Pom either. I'm not saying I think he'll be back playing for QLD after the next world cup, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he was. And of course if that were to happen, the usual suspects in here would be moaning about him being 'enticed' by origin.

But so what? If Hayne decided that he was Australian, or Reed did. Great. Let them be Australian. I don't know much about either of them other than they both grew up from an early age in Aus.

The problem is the players who grew up in Fiji. Played for Fiji. Then decided to just swap because NSW are desperate for good players.

In the north players jump between Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. Would Bridge of declared for Ireland? I doubt it.

We need to put the international game at the top of the tree. It is a higher standard than origin. Its higher than club rugby. Players swapping makes the whole thing seem a bit badly thought out.

roughyedspud

Coach
the isle of man is a self governing crown dependancy,own parliament,own taxation...acts of uk parliament are'nt enforcable on the isle of man.....yeah its a country in all but name in my eyes

deluded pom?

Coach
I could imagine the reaction if Reed played for Australia and he made a mistake that cost them a game. "Fecking useless Pom".

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
just as it is true that money is the only reason Reed is turning out for the Poms? Let's be honest, Reed is more Aussie than Pom. Why else would he want to play for the dreary GB team, representing a country in which league is only a minor sport?

RL in England is in sports Englands top 5 dickhead.

WireMan

Bench
i'd argue that wales is more of a country than england.....wales has it's own parliament..we don't

Ain't that the most stupid thing? Scotland is even worse. I'd have hoped the Tories would of done something about it by now. De-Evolution has just killed democracy stnoe dead. At least the people of Iraq got to vote for their president.

Although to be technical, Wales has an assembly not a parliament. ;-)

I couldn't figure out whether it was stupid or sarcastic?

Really? I'm hurt.

just as it is true that money is the only reason Reed is turning out for the Poms? Let's be honest, Reed is more Aussie than Pom. Why else would he want to play for the dreary GB team, representing a country in which league is only a minor sport?

He wants to stop his chances of playing SOO to play for dreary ENGLAND (Not GB) for money? How much are we paying him? :shock:

Titanic

First Grade
He wants to stop his chances of playing SOO to play for dreary ENGLAND (Not GB) for money? How much are we paying him?

Not to inflame the debate but I'd think he would be on contract bonuses or up-grades for representative selection.

taipan

Referee

Please explain the number of Caucasiuans in the Japanese ru team,thought it was a major sport there:crazy:.
Good on Reed for choosing England, he wants to and qualifies,get used to it.

siv

First Grade
Like people have said there needs to be a way to make Internationl RL better

The concepts of the 4 Nations / Euro and Pacific Cup are really working and you see the steps working in Europe slowly as more and more Tier 3 nations get involved

So key ingrediants are

1 - regular scheduling of matches - and incentives
2 - paying players appropriately to representa thier nation at Tier 2 level
3 - play U20 / U18 junior internationals

So Regular scheduling

I would like to see in season "3 rep weekends" established. Today the NRL schedule has 2 spare weekends. Plus the Oct/Nov period

In Season

Week 1/2/3
SOO I, II, III
Pacific 4 Nations Rd1/2/3 (NZ, PNG, Fiji, Cook Is)
Euro 4 Nations Rd1/2/3 (England, Wales, France, Ireland)

Then at the end of the year we play the following

Tier 1 6 Nations - 5 rounds and a final
(Australia, England, NZ, #2 4N Euro, #2 4N Pacific Team, winner #3 v #3 playoff)
Tier 2 6 Nations - Euro Cup
(next best 6 European teams)
Tier 2 6 Nations - Pacific Cup
(next 5 best Pacific Teams and winner of Atlantic Cup)

All games televised with the TV rights/sponsorship used to fund player payments and accomodation