What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to give each club a $7m salary cap

Moffo

Referee
Personal attacks already, a bit hypocritical considering you eat a female family member for dinner each night.

UK population = 60,776,238 one major football code.
NSW/QLD = 10.3 million three major fotball codes played at the same time.

Will not work

selective stat taking that does not make sense. EPL teams play 100m+ for players and im suggesting 7m in the NRL so no comparison

why do i even bother

goodbye

Dave Q

Coach
Also, I'd be sliding three sides.

And what about a player draft system for the 2nd Divison?

_Johnsy

Referee
population 6 times bigger, one major football code. Ridiculous amount of corporate sponsorship.
populations 6 times smaller three other football codes competing. Minimal corporate sponsorship, you know the big financial stuff.

Good question, why do I bother ?

legend

Coach
we've tried the intergalactic club challenge and it didnt work leg. i remember watching the dogs play halifax at belmore one night and it was the most boring thing ive ever seen. the halifax boys were here for a party and no one turned up

players already whinge about playing 25 games a year so i cant see them increasing their workload unless you paid them a load more

There are two main differences now, one is the ESL standard has risen dramatically in the past ten years and two, most clubs play at least three to four pre-season games now so if we did a NAB Cup format with the top sixteen teams from both comps, I don't see how it is any different?

Leeds v Melbourne, St Helens v Manly, Bradford v Broncos, Wigan v Sharks etc would bring in a lot of people to the pre-season tournament.

Moffo

Referee
population 6 times bigger, one major football code. Ridiculous amount of corporate sponsorship.
populations 6 times smaller three other football codes competing. Minimal corporate sponsorship, you know the big financial stuff.

Good question, why do I bother ?

define major johnsy? do you think every single person in england watches football? been to the north? loads of immigration, a lot not interested in football

its all relative

im not suggesting that NRL clubs play 1/6 of what the EPL pays so not sure what your point is

don't see what you are getting at

Moffo

Referee
There are two main differences now, one is the ESL standard has risen dramatically in the past ten years and two, most clubs play at least three to four pre-season games now so if we did a NAB Cup format with the top sixteen teams from both comps, I don't see how it is any different?

Leeds v Melbourne, St Helens v Manly, Bradford v Broncos, Wigan v Sharks etc would bring in a lot of people to the pre-season tournament.

i dunno leg. it'd have to be a very quick comp to keep the interest. you wouldnt want it going on all year

vlad

juniors
ive heard the population point a million times and no one has ever explained it to me adequately. england has a pop of 60m with about 80 teams who go up and down. so how cant aussie with 20m plus 5m in NZ handle 20 teams?

the games will be of higher quality and fox will be forced to pay market rates for it

for starters you're dreaming if you think there's 20M in OZ and 5M in NZ who support the NRL . You'd be dreaming if you think 1/2 that number support RL .

Furthermore the NRL is barely shown or reported outside of 2 states of Australia .

virtually no foreign players are in the NRL .... the player pool is small and the ESL , ARU & FRU are taking our best

on the other hand

the EPL (& most of the lower divisions) draw players from all over the world . There's no shortage of quality players looking for a chance to show what they can do in hope of jagging a big contract in the top league .

The EPL is shown in 208 countries and the broadcast rights alone give each EPL side about 58M AUD per year

The 2nd tier of football (Coca Cola Championship) tv rights give each team about 9M AUD per year

that's before you factor in gate takings (EPL average is 35K) , sponsorships (huge because of worldwide interest) , merchandising (huge because of worldwide interest) .

and then there's the tv rights to the uefa competitions which the top clubs get a slice of ...

the NRL might be big in some people's minds .... but they really need to get out a little more .

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
for starters you're dreaming if you think there's 20M in OZ and 5M in NZ who support the NRL . You'd be dreaming if you think 1/2 that number support RL .

Furthermore the NRL is barely shown or reported outside of 2 states of Australia .

virtually no foreign players are in the NRL .... the player pool is small and the ESL , ARU & FRU are taking our best

on the other hand

the EPL (& most of the lower divisions) draw players from all over the world . There's no shortage of quality players looking for a chance to show what they can do in hope of jagging a big contract in the top league .

The EPL is shown in 208 countries and the broadcast rights alone give each EPL side about 58M AUD per year

The 2nd tier of football (Coca Cola Championship) tv rights give each team about 9M AUD per year

that's before you factor in gate takings (EPL average is 35K) , sponsorships (huge because of worldwide interest) , merchandising (huge because of worldwide interest) .

and then there's the tv rights to the uefa competitions which the top clubs get a slice of ...

the NRL might be big in some people's minds .... but they really need to get out a little more .

YES YES YES. Now just explain it to the likes of Kalgoorlie Red.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
and you're kidding if you think everyone in england watches football

He didnt say that Moffo. But, people OUTSIDE of England watch the EPL as well. Thats why it is so popular. You dont really have to argue over erverything you know. What Vlad stated was fact, not opinion. How can you not see this.
RL is a great niche game. But thats what it is and always will be. Plain and simple.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
He didnt say that Moffo. But, people OUTSIDE of England watch the EPL as well. Thats why it is so popular. You dont really have to argue over erverything you know. What Vlad stated was fact, not opinion. How can you not see this.
RL is a great niche game. But thats what it is and always will be. Plain and simple.

Not in WA. It is huge over there. They got 10000 people to Jim Beam cup match.

We should pull out of Sydney and head West ASAP.

VictoryFC

Bench
and you're kidding if you think everyone in england watches football

Just like every Queenslander/NSWman watches rugby league right? :roll::roll::roll:

I could go from Newcastle to London all in a nice days out. Thats the top of England all the way to bottom. EPL averages roughly 37,000 in attendance, and thats restricted because some stadiums are too small now for some of the clubs (Tottenham, Liverpool (new stadium coming), Everton, West Ham etc).

Now, that attendance couldnt be achieved in a country like Australia. The size and the ability to get around the country so easily would definitely help the numbers no doubt. Just out of the top of my head, Arsenal (London) could send up 15,000 supporters to St James Park (Newcastle). You just cant get that sort of thing here, its not feasible. This country is too big, and we've already witnessed that plenty of times judging by the fact that its split down the middle in terms of code allegiances.

Then theres the population.....

Then theres the fact that every broadcaster is dying to get their hands on the EPL....

Then theres the fact that even those broadcasters that dont manage to get...are STILL soccer-centric

Then theres a massive underlying culture of active support....

Just so many things that are different that you cant even begin to compare.

People who try and compare AFL/NRL vs EPL vs NFL really cant get anywhere, the landscapes are so different.

mattyg

Bench
even simpler solution - get a TV deal the NRL deserves, at least equal to the AFL TV deal.

Pigskin

Juniors
Everybody in this thread is getting side-tracked comparing the NRL to the EPL. Which they can't be.

Back to the initial proposal, I think it has some merit. 10 teams x 7 million is obviously 70 million, and then the second teir comp ... teams could perhaps (pulling figures out of the air) have a cap of 2 million. Thats 90 million all up vs the current 64 million we spend all up.

Only a shortfall of 26 million that surely could be made up through the usual avenues. I'd also advocate a small portion of gate receipts from the top flight contributing to the 2nd teir clubs.

It would be important for lower division sides to be their own entity and not simply a feeder club for the top flight clubs. They are gonna need their own backers and ambition or it won't work.

Not that we want to take it a step further, but for arguments sake, is there anything to stop the premiers in the NSWRL and the QCup going up to 2nd division if their finances are in order ?

The lower division teams could have a combination of youngsters, journeymen, washed up old players ... with the odd couple of top flight standard players thrown in.

I think there would be interest in the 2nd teir comp, and most real fans of the game would adopt a team to follow. If the top flight can't increase crowds in a big way under these guidelines, then we truly have no hope.

working in Legends proposal, a top flight comp of 10 teams would be 18 rounds + finals, and then the WCC to make up the number of home games to comfort the CEO's and give all something to strive for.

A top 5 finals system, top 4 playing in the WCC, bottom 2 dropping down a division, you can't tell me there wouldn't be a lot of games with real importance.

anyway, i like the idea ... email it to the Wok and see if you get any air time

Oink !

Latest posts