What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well will Brisbane do in 2012 ?

Where will Brisbane finish ?

• 1st-4th

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • 5th-8th

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • 9th-12th

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • 13th-16th

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anjado

Juniors
We already had a Souths one which may have been more a lol at Souths thing. So i thought why not pose the same question about every team this season starting with Brisbane ?

Brisbane for me is one of the toughest sides to predict this season, obviously the main query will be who will be given the five eighth spot in Lockyer's absence ? will it be Corey Norman or Ryan Hoffman or Luke Capewell,Ben Hunt or someone else entirely ? I am certain Peter Wallace isn't up to leading a premiership winning side. So they will need a talented five eighth who can at least complement his skills.

Brisbane in a way are the anti Melbourne, Melbourne are so strong in the 1,6,7,9 positions but have filler players in the other positions. Where as the Broncos are weak in the key positions of 1,6,7,9 but they are very formidable in every other position.

For me i think the Broncos will finish in the lower half of the 8 probably 5th or 6th.

How do you think the Broncos will go in 2012 post Lockyer ?

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Sh*t. Just like their prelim final against manly. The "heroes" like Thaiday and Hodges will try and do their best to lift the side but Heather led them around so well.

The problem with Brisbane is that they spent so long learning to play off Heather, and building the side around him, that unless they find a clone they will have no spark. Wallace hasnt developed, or should I say been developed into a playmaker. Instead he is a feeder to his 5/8. I think higher of his abilities than he has shown. Maybe he will be freed up more, but to me playing with Heather has seen him become yet another "couldabeen great" halfback.

Hodges aside, their big names are simply not good enough to step up into the hole.

Bananabender

Juniors
I think the Broncos will do okay as they are so unpredictable. Losing Lockyer won't worry them as much as Souths as Brisbane always seem to come up with new freshmen all the time eagerly waiting to get their go at the top. Quite honestly though, I don't like the Broncs at all and the further down the ladder they are the better.

Snappy

Coach
I wouldnt call Hoffman (No.1) weak. Wallace is a classy 7 but as you said he need support from the other half. Macca (No.9) improved heaps during the second half of 2011 and will continue to improve.

No Locky is a huge loss to overcome, and ill say Broncos to finish 6th.

They'll miss Locky too much. It will take a good part of the year to get used to playing without him , by then it will be too late to make up enough ground.

Thaiday will also need to step up in the leadership role.

Big Pete

Referee
5th-8th is fair. Such a quality side outside of the spine and even then the spine isn't exactly that bad. Hoffman is a quality fullback and Wallace showed that he could step up in Lockyer's absence during the rep. season. A lot of the Broncos success will depend on how well McCullough plays. He was their weakest link at the start of 2011 but brought it home at the back end. He's going to have to take it to another gear if the Broncos are really going to challenge.

Lockyer's heir is the biggest mystery heading into 2012. It seems like Norman is the favourite which could really go either way at this stage. He's a very streaky player so he's really going to have to find some consistency for the Broncos to press forward. Hunt's another option and personally I feel he's our best pick. He hasn't been given a proper go in the halves since he made that bench spot his own and based on the little he's played he's actually looked quite decent.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Very solid pack with questionable halves. Basically be cronulla minus the rep level backs, channel 9 love affair and penalty counts in their favour everu home game.

Josh McGuire will most likely keep his development going well with petro their, hopefully reed doesn't suffer second year syndrome but obviously the number 6 is a huge question mark has wallace and mcCullough (although not numpties) dont have anywhere near the attacking vision and control that darren had.

Putting alto of faith in their rookies but thats been the case for the last few seasons going back to when boyd made his debut and minus 2010 has worked for them (even that year some of the rookies still excelled).

Whoever gets the 6 will be a cash cow in the fantasy comps but will give them 8th-9th pending on hodges fitness.

RWB

Bench
The whole spine is a worry not just the halves. McCullough really hasn't improved from his debut season... he really needs to show something soon or I'd drop him for Baptiste. His dummy half service is way too slow and it wont matter who's in the 6 if they're not getting decent service.

At least Baptiste is a decent option if McCullough fails, I really don't think any one of Norman,Hunt or Capewell will be the solution to pair with Wallace. Wallace is average and the lack of class and creativity will show against the top teams.

The only position that is secure is fullback with Hoffman, Beale & Gagai. Hoffman will have to take on a dominant ball playing role this season and I'm not sure that he's up to it just yet.

They may sneak into the 8 purely on the back of their forward pack and ability to dominate field position but I have them sitting just outside the top 8 at the moment. I certainly don't see them as a threat to the premiership though.

Red Bear

Referee
Peter Wallace could easily be a Brett Finch type player - plays his role very well alongside a dominant half (ie finch with Fittler or in Melbourne spine) but isnt really cut out to be the main man. Good defensive half as well (much like Finch).

tallis12

Juniors
As a Broncos fan, i believe the team can still push for a top 4 position...if everything goes to plan. The main thing we will miss will be Darren's vision..

Will be a very interesting year for the Brisbane Broncos....but an exciting one at that!

some11

Referee
Only worry is 6, 7, 9.

5/8 who knows how that'll go, Wallace is a great defensive halfback but struggles in attack, McCullough is inconsistent but Baptiste is giving him competition.

Needs to be a tight group because if things get tough Locky isn't there to take over the game.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
I don't think they'll make the 8 this season, but I think they'll make it in 2013. I like these baby broncos a lot more than the last generation of broncos, I can actually bare them.
However, if they gain some early confidence, a young team with confidence can go far. Eg Raiders 2010

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
If the Broncos bring alot of aggression to their games they could be top 4, their defence is good and if they can improve that aspect of their game they won't necessarily need to score alot of points but in the clutch is where I think they'll miss Locky the most and considering how close the comp is I think they'll finish between 9th-12th.

Loudstrat

Coach
Peter Wallace could easily be a Brett Finch type player - plays his role very well alongside a dominant half (ie finch with Fittler or in Melbourne spine) but isnt really cut out to be the main man. Good defensive half as well (much like Finch).

*quietly awaits the birth of the FOWF*

Hench

Juniors
I think we'll be fine and still make the 8. I think people underestimate the impact it has of Locky being there all pre-season and all season and then expect the team to deliver when he's not there through injury or when he is away for Origin duty.

They now have all off season to cope with the fact they know Lockyer won't be there. They know their #1 playmaker is gone and have to start making plays themselves. And I think we can do it.

I've predicted them to finish 6th after 26 rounds but don't see them having a realistic shot at the premiership.

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
TBH not much difference between them and Souths. Both have some damn good players, both have big question marks over the halves, Souths have a better Hooker, Brisbane probably better in the halves at this point but hardly stars in those positions. Will be interesting how the respective sides and coaches go.

Latest posts