What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well will Brisbane do in 2012 ?

Where will Brisbane finish ?

• 1st-4th

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • 5th-8th

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • 9th-12th

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • 13th-16th

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joshie

Live Update Team
They have everything sorted and with petro back into the side, i think Thaiday will be taught how to become an efficient captain without lowering his head. Their biggest problem is the most obvious, finding ways to combat the post-lockyer era, but I think any of the kids they have could fill the void to some extent. I think Wallace is going to have his year, he always impressed me on his own, and I think he could be the surprise packet of this competition.

As for their placement on the ladder, I think 5th is the highest they can finish, but you never know in our game of rugby league.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Wallace isn't as poor as some make him out to be. The comparison to Finch is ludicrous, he has a far wiser head on his shoulders for starters. The argument seems to be that he will struggle without Lockyer, but it could very well go the other way and he will flourish.

Their kicking game is going to take a massive hit though. Darren Lockyer had one of the most complete kicking game's of our generation, and the tactical nature of his kicking was widely under-appreciated. Any young heir to the six must make an attempt to work hard on their kicking game to help the Brisbane side. Otherwise any dominance their strong forward pack will gain will be lost through poor fifth tackle options.

It's true McCullough was poor, and I was a strident critic of his prior to last season. But he finally showed some signs of progression at the back end of last season. There is a good player in there somewhere.

Thaiday will make a good captain. He gets terrific wraps from Lockyer in his autobiography and that really is the most valid opinion of all.

Brisbane should be finals bound, but it would take a brave man to tip them for the premiership this coming season.

user_nat

Coach
They did beat us on the ladder twice in the past 5 years, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think both teams will finish around the same place. Somewhere between 5-12 (big call, I know)

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
They did beat us on the ladder twice in the past 5 years, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think both teams will finish around the same place. Somewhere between 5-12 (big call, I know)
edit - agree with your positions, thought you wrote 5-8.

FWIW I dont think Wallace is a bad player at all, just dont think he's a dominant playmaker. No shame in that, in the modern game when you can generally only afford one star you need a player like that who will compliment your good players, which Finch did very well at both the Roosters and the Storm, and Wallace has done up at Brisbane. Just not sure he's got it in him to lead the side around (happy to be proven wrong though).

One of my forum 7's articles was about this. It's just a shit of a position to be in as Finch was and Wallace is. Their performances can be as good as ever, but they still are not and will not match the players before them (Fittler or Lockyer), and generally fanbases spoilt with all time greats of the game will need to direct their wrath at someone when their side is suddenly not all that good anymore, thus the remaining player from the halves combo tends to be the one to cop it. Expectant fanbases combined with loss of a great player is not a great combination for success.

Last edited:

AuDragon

Juniors
TBH not much difference between them and Souths. Both have some damn good players, both have big question marks over the halves, Souths have a better Hooker, Brisbane probably better in the halves at this point but hardly stars in those positions. Will be interesting how the respective sides and coaches go.
Broncos compared to 50uff$?

You SUCK! :sto:

watatank

Coach
Broncos are strong all over the park with plenty of depth in every position. Main question marks will be over how will they go without Lockyer, obviously.

Lockyer is a champion but IMO the Broncos will do fine without him.

They have another champion (Civoneceva) returning to the club, Griffin is a smart and confident coach and Hunt, Norman and Capewell (and others, I'm sure) are all competing for his spot. The other players in key positions (Hoffman, Wallace, McCullough) have been there for a while and are ready to step up and they will also be pushed by other players.

adamkungl

Immortal
Lockyer's a huge loss. I'm tipping them to be one of the teams fighting for a finals spot come end of season. somewhere between 7th and 10th.

Nerd

Bench
They will miss Lockyer's kicking game more than anything. What they won't miss is his 2-3 missed tackles every game in their right side defence. Not having to be Lockyer's minder may even free up Thaiday to put a few more hits on!
5th to 10th

redvscotty

First Grade
I reckon Broncos will do alright, but will make a late season push for the bottom half of the 8. They will start off spluttering and looking a bit lost at the start and will drop a number of games early on (unless they play the Shabbletohs ahaha).

Awesome forward pack, with some class in the backs. 7th - 8th for mine.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
I honestly think this will be a average year for the Broncos, but expect them to bounce back big in 2013-2014. They have some great kids and most of them tied up for a while, the best forward pack in the team and a pretty good backline with reed, hodges, hoffman etc. Strong bench with teo and gillett and mcguire.

Though with McCullough, Wallace and Hunt/Capwell they just don't look like a genuine threat.

I can't see them winning the close games, i can't see them coming back when they are being blown away early, i can't see them having an answer to a top team. Lockyer was the solution to all of this, and lets be real Hodges isn't exactly a 100% player anymore. His hamstring is sure to cost him at least 4-8 weeks on the sideline and once hes out they become a lot less dangerous.

10-13th for me.

Loudstrat

Coach
No doubt they have talent out wide and in the pack, but 2013-14 will see the price of that talent rise dramatically. They will lose some of it. Then what?

StormHi

Juniors
WOW I am gonna agree with Doggiesbro again :( he will be on my Christmas card list soon :(

I agree I can't really see the threat in their backline almost all the replacements they have for Locky love to run the ball none of them really have a very good kicking game (still young I suppose) so poor ol wallace is gonna have the pressures of kicking on him and he won't be able to play his natural game (I think he is in the top 5 of the most dangerous players in the comp when he takes the line on aggressivly)

The Broncoes Engine room and outside backs are beasts but without a spine I kinda see them flopping.

I have hated the Broncoes with the passion of a thousand suns but I find myself losing alot of the hatred as the old players filter out and this young teams enthusiasm kinda beats it out of me... When they lose Hodges and Thugday Pretty much all my hate will be gone.

I really don't think they will give any of the true contenders much concern but I do think they will scrap into the 8 in 8th spot edging out the bunnies to 9th place :)

Latest posts