What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well will Brisbane do in 2012 ?

Where will Brisbane finish ?

• 1st-4th

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • 5th-8th

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • 9th-12th

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • 13th-16th

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blaza88z

Coach
of all the games where we got beaten last season, not once did I look back at it and think

"we lost because locky wasn't there", even in the final where we got beat we made too many stupid mistakes

wallace has kicked a handy field goal or two, just ask canberra fans :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Remember a couple of years ago every time Origin came up there was a "rumour" that McCollough would get picked from QLD cup to play Origin.

I've never heard that rumour and I'd imagine it's bogus. McCullough's only played one game of Qld Cup and that was for disciplinary reasons. Perhaps you've got your players confused?

Monitoring McCullough's development over the course of the next few seasons is going to be really interesting. He's got certain vital qualities that make good footballers but they're compromised by some bad habits that I'd imagine he's picked up from being developed too quickly. When it comes to McCullough you need to keep in mind he started off primarily as a five eigth before being transitioned into the hooker role mid-way through the first year of NYC footy. It was the right move but he picked up some bad habits and instead of getting to work on them in another year of NYC he was rushed into first grade where over time they became more glaring and he's had to make running repairs. Throw in a couple of derailing injuries & a rough patch and you can understand why he's being written off despite only being relatively young.

Like AuDragon I saw a lot of improvement in his game towards the back end and it was generally believed he was one of our better players leading into the finals. If he can build on that form then the sky's the limit. If not - no biggy we have Baptiste coming through and he's very promising.

Big Pete

Referee
of all the games where we got beaten last season, not once did I look back at it and think

"we lost because locky wasn't there", even in the final where we got beat we made too many stupid mistakes

wallace has kicked a handy field goal or two, just ask canberra fans :lol:

Mmhmm.

We lost three games without Lockyer last season. Two of them against the premiers and one against the minor premiers - hardly embarrassing and that game against Melbourne in particular was very encouraging.

The prelim against Manly doesn't concern me at all. There were so many factors against the Broncos that night but the bottom line is Manly were a great side and we had two players who weren't prepared to play their positions in a game of that importance. I'm of course referring to Copley (a rookie centre playing wing) and Gillett (backrow playing five eigth). I believe we'll be better versed come 2012 and as a result shouldn't be judged on that one performance.

Easts R #1

Juniors
Petro's return shouldn't be underestimated [cool head in tight games], with their go foward and quality outside backs the Bronc's halves need only play smart. still a top 8 team!

Mr Fourex

Bench
Wallace hasnt developed, or should I say been developed into a playmaker. Instead he is a feeder to his 5/8. I think higher of his abilities than he has shown. Maybe he will be freed up more, but to me playing with Heather has seen him become yet another "couldabeen great" halfback.

Wallace has had plenty of opportunities in the past .......without Lockyer there holding his hand.

Disappointing ....IMO

I think he could be a better 5/8 than half. For a while I thought he could have missed his calling as a 9

but with Mc and Baptiste holding that spot down, it would be difficult not to play him in the halves.

Mr Fourex

Bench
1- Hoffman
2- Beale
3- Reed
4- Hodges
5- Yow Yeh
6- Wallace
7- Hunt
8- Hannant
9- McCullough
10-Civoneciva
11-Glenn
12-Thaiday
13-Parker

14-Baptiste
15-Te'o
16-Gillett
17-McGuire

In the top 4

....somewhere.

Ben Hunt to blossom.....

Big Pete

Referee
For people who don't know much about our young guns pushing for a spot (Gagai, Gibb & Frei), all 3 are capable of playing first grade.

With Frei, think of Ben Kennedy except with the ability to play front row and an added 50m a match. Same goes for Brendon Gibb, except he's far more developed in attack. Gagai played a few matches in first grade in 2011 out of no where and claimed a couple of man of the match awards. He's all class and will turn out better than Folau IMO.

Hook will get the best out of the halves, our back line is more than capable and we have a rep quality forward pack with the likes of McGuire, Civoniceiva, Thaiday, Hannant and Parker that only lacks consistency and that's something Hook will hopefully fix.

Bench could be a bit of a worry, but we do have very capable players. I personally would play McGuire off the bench for impact. He's having his first full pre-season in ages. Last year he had his eye surgically repaired, his shoulder also had surgery on it.

In conclusion, we have a team on paper capable of pushing for top 4. No idea how we will go on the field, though.

F**k you Noa and how dare you have a negative opinion about my club. Your opinion is as valid as your last two premierships.

sputneek

Juniors
For people who don't know much about our young guns pushing for a spot (Gagai, Gibb & Frei), all 3 are capable of playing first grade.

With Frei, think of Ben Kennedy except with the ability to play front row and an added 50m a match. Same goes for Brendon Gibb, except he's far more developed in attack. Gagai played a few matches in first grade in 2011 out of no where and claimed a couple of man of the match awards. He's all class and will turn out better than Folau IMO.

Hook will get the best out of the halves, our back line is more than capable and we have a rep quality forward pack with the likes of McGuire, Civoniceiva, Thaiday, Hannant and Parker that only lacks consistency and that's something Hook will hopefully fix.

Bench could be a bit of a worry, but we do have very capable players. I personally would play McGuire off the bench for impact. He's having his first full pre-season in ages. Last year he had his eye surgically repaired, his shoulder also had surgery on it.

In conclusion, we have a team on paper capable of pushing for top 4. No idea how we will go on the field, though.

F**k you Noa and how dare you have a negative opinion about my club. Your opinion is as valid as your last two premierships.

:lol: The Dogs super trio of Lafai and the other two will carve up the Broncos.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Wow @ comparing the Broncos to Souths. Brisbane have a winning culture and when they look good on paper then they generally get the results on the field.

I agree they're halves and hooker are a bit of a concern but this a side that never seem to struggle to find fresh new talent.

The loss of Lockyer will make an impact but they should still make the 8.

Canard

Immortal
I've never heard that rumour and I'd imagine it's bogus. McCullough's only played one game of Qld Cup and that was for disciplinary reasons. Perhaps you've got your players confused?

Monitoring McCullough's development over the course of the next few seasons is going to be really interesting. He's got certain vital qualities that make good footballers but they're compromised by some bad habits that I'd imagine he's picked up from being developed too quickly. When it comes to McCullough you need to keep in mind he started off primarily as a five eigth before being transitioned into the hooker role mid-way through the first year of NYC footy. It was the right move but he picked up some bad habits and instead of getting to work on them in another year of NYC he was rushed into first grade where over time they became more glaring and he's had to make running repairs. Throw in a couple of derailing injuries & a rough patch and you can understand why he's being written off despite only being relatively young.

Like AuDragon I saw a lot of improvement in his game towards the back end and it was generally believed he was one of our better players leading into the finals. If he can build on that form then the sky's the limit. If not - no biggy we have Baptiste coming through and he's very promising.

Yeh getting my players confused.

There was a QLD cup hooker affliated with the Broncos that used to get a "rumour" that he would play Origin story every year for about 3 years straight.

It must have been when a combination of the following happened a) Cam Smith was injured and b) whoever was playing hooker in first grade for the Broncos was either not a QLDer or injured also.

Nightward

Juniors
That might have been PJ Marsh during his stint with the Broncos. He did get that call-up a few years ago, too. I believe we had Ennis at the time.

The Broncos still have a lot of class and firepower even with Lockyer's retirement. The young guns were bought up under Griffin and have shined in the first grade under his tutelage; he has earned some faith as head coach. I think the bottom half of the eight is definitely achievable, with the potential to go as high as fourth. I would be very surprised to see the Broncos miss the eight.

boxhead

First Grade
I don't think Locky's absence will be as big a detractor as has been commonly made out.
I'm still tipping top eight, they have a great coach and a powerful roster.

I don't think Locky's absence will be as big a detractor as has been commonly made out.
I'm still tipping top eight, they have a great coach and a powerful roster.

Yep. They'll still have Alfie Langer leading them around the park anyway so i don't think they'll miss Lockyer as much as people expect them to.

newman

First Grade
Im predicting the Bronx will have one of their worst seasons since inception.

Petero is ancient now and was looking tired last year. Thaiday and Parker are no spring chickens and cant do everything. Hodges is great but inconsistent and injury plagued. The rest of their squad are mid tier first graders.

The big thing for mine is that when the going got tough in big games and even tight games that werent that big they were able to toss the ball to Lockyer and that freak was able to get them a win somehow more cases than not. The Broncos have been conditioned to do it for a decade. Now who's gonna save em in a clutch? Wallace? Glenn? Please. Lockyer just did so many little one percenters that put the Bronx on the front foot. Without him and with a reasonably untested coach, I'm predicting a slump, and I'm gonna enjoy it.

13th.

Hutty1986

Immortal
They'll miss the silky final touch of Lockyer, though remain strong up front. Will probably still scrape into the 8, but won't go nearly as well as they did in 2011.

Spot On

Coach
Can someone clued in to the Broncs tell me why Corey Parker was not given the captaincy over Thaiday?

Latest posts