What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will the Tigers go in 2013

How will the Tigers go in 2013

• 1-4

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 5-8

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • 9-12

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • 13-16

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters

hardbaby

Coach
With the absence of Heighington Tigers pack is much stronger. With a real coach playing props at prop Tigers pack is much stronger. All of Sheens packs were mediocre because of his coaching. Galloway/Woods/Farah (3 SOO quality players) plus Blair (unknown, lets see if he can play as well as he did for Melbourne) and Fulton is not a bad pack at all.

The starting front row is excellent and Woods is capable of big minutes. It's the depth behind that you should be worried about. Pettybourne goes hard but offers little. Then you have nobodies like Groat and Murdoch-Masila.

The back row is as weak as piss. Blair and Anasta would vie for the most over-rated players in the game. Fulton is great but he is no enforcer. The rest is untried (maybe Sironen can move into the back row).

Re the backs, I think that will be a positive for the Tigers. Miller is going to carve up at half so Benji can move back to five eight. Two solid centres (disappointing this year but will bounce back). And some outstanding youngsters is Koribiete and Tedesco. Love the Tigers backs. Very exciting and will score a lot of tries.

Bench
The starting front row is excellent and Woods is capable of big minutes. It's the depth behind that you should be worried about. Pettybourne goes hard but offers little. Then you have nobodies like Groat and Murdoch-Masila.

The back row is as weak as piss. Blair and Anasta would vie for the most over-rated players in the game. Fulton is great but he is no enforcer. The rest is untried (maybe Sironen can move into the back row).

Re the backs, I think that will be a positive for the Tigers. Miller is going to carve up at half so Benji can move back to five eight. Two solid centres (disappointing this year but will bounce back). And some outstanding youngsters is Koribiete and Tedesco. Love the Tigers backs. Very exciting and will score a lot of tries.
I think you overlook the fact Bodene Thompson is on board,he can be a great player with the right coaching,and I think Sironen will play backrow,we are not as weak as people think.
Other teams will have different struggles next year,Souths and Cronulla have great expectations on them now,that can cripple teams,I expect both those teams to finish lower next season than they did this year,the Dogs have pressure,I think any of Easts,Penrith,Parra or the WestsTigers to really make a mark with no pressure on them,the comp is very close.

Eddie.

Bench
Nowhere near the Top 4.
1st would shock the entire league community.
Or maybe 12th to 16th.
Get your hand off it.

Im entitled to my opinion bud. You don't have to keep comin in on people telling them there dreaming just cause they disagree with you.

Look they made the Top 4, two of the past 3 seasons. Last year Farah missed 9 games, which they lost 7 which was the difference between finals and no finals.. I don't think there as hopeless as you suggest. Take in the massive question mark of finally not having a stubborn old, outdated fossil as coach and they might well make the Top 4 (for the 3rd time in 4 years)

Last year they had big expectations and bombed out. This year the lack of expectation might work in their favour. And please whoever said all the players that leave the Tigers play really well, i could make them all on one hand. Beau Ryan, a slow average winger and Chris Heightington a 4 yards a run master. Massive losses, Not!

Just my opinion.

Im entitled to my opinion bud. You don't have to keep comin in on people telling them there dreaming just cause they disagree with you.

Look they made the Top 4, two of the past 3 seasons. Last year Farah missed 9 games, which they lost 7 which was the difference between finals and no finals.. I don't think there as hopeless as you suggest. Take in the massive question mark of finally not having a stubborn old, outdated fossil as coach and they might well make the Top 4 (for the 3rd time in 4 years)

Last year they had big expectations and bombed out. This year the lack of expectation might work in their favour. And please whoever said all the players that leave the Tigers play really well, i could make them all on one hand. Beau Ryan, a slow average winger and Chris Heightington a 4 yards a run master. Massive losses, Not!

Just my opinion.

You are right Eddie. You are entitled to your opinion.

Even if you are wrong.

Merry Christmas by the way!

Vic Mackey

Referee
Eddie is one of the most unbiased tigers fans you'll meet. I could be mistaken but I think he actually tipped us to miss the 8 before a ball was kicked in 2012.

Personally I wouldn't bet on us coming 1st with someone else's money, but then again how many people on here had the dogs coming 1st, or even top 4/8 for that matter, at the start of this year. Any team with farah and Marshall will always be dangerous and capable of beating anyone.

Back row is definitly the weak point. We have a few great kids from the 20s there who are still a year pr away from first grade. Brendan santi, Andrew vela and Kyle Lovett all look very likely. Fulton is what he is, good line runner, decent ball player, solid defender but too small to ever be a dominant back rower. Blair was a tremendous dissapointment, however you don't become a bad player over night. Hopefully potter can bring back his 08-10 storm form. Anasta could turn out to be a good fit for the tigers. Not saying he is a world beater but to me he is tough, a leader and a professional. The tigers have lacked all these traits over the last 10 years.

Heighington has been bog average for 3-4 years. Last year Matt bell played 100 times better then him when he filled in. Maybe getting away from sheens will be good for him as all he has been good for is 4m hit ups and vital missed tackles on the line. I've never overly rated pettybourne or bodene Thomson but its hard to imagine them being any worse then CH.

BMM for mine is far from a nobody. I've seen Bronson Harrison, Ben teo and BMM come through the grades, BMM is the pick of the bunch at the same age. His explosive line running, off loading and aggressive defending was great for us last year. Really in what was a terrible 2012 BMM was a rare shining light.

I agree with Eddie, finishing at either end of the table wouldn't surprise me. We have the talent and depth to challenge some of the better sides. However our previous flaws mean I can 100% see why alot of posters think we will be just makig up the numbers in 2013.

hardbaby

Coach
Good points Vic. Anyway to re-iterate a previous comment, I think the Tigers have heaps of up-side. Some absolutely brilliant youngsters. In the not too distant future I expect them to carve up. But it won't be 2013. It's a rebuilding year for your mob. Merry Xmas fellas.

Eddie.

Bench
Anyway. I'm not declaring us Top 4 or even Top 8 morals by any stretch. I just get bewildered when supporters of teams that are of a similar if not worse standard come over the top and are astonished and argue with Tigers fan predict there team have a chance to do well in 2013.

Like Vic said who would have thought the BUlldogs would have finished on Top of the table? Most fans on here rubbished Souths who ended up being quality and finishing a game away from the Grand Final?

On what we produced in 2012 and with a few departures and no real key signings I don't blame people at all for having us on the slide. I just get frustrated when people want to argue and rant when a Tigers fan preidcts they can go well in 2013. Especially when it is from fans of clubs who have had even worse seasons, or have even worse rosters on paper.

A few key factors that could help

* new coach after a decade of an old, outdated, stubborn coach
* Key players having a proper pre season for the first time in yrs (Farah, Marshall, Galloway, Lawrence)
* possible speed up of the play the ball with new refs boss
* Lower expectations on the playing group
* Good group of youngsters coming through

If forced to pick a prediction ill say 8th because i honestly have no idea which way they will go this year, so the best bet is to hedge your bet so to speak

I think the signing of Anasta could be a masterstroke. One of the biggest criticisms of the Tigers is that a lot of the senior players carry on as though they are a prince, and Braith, who will also assume a leadership role within the side, will not be afraid to call them on it. Even if he is average on the field, I think he will be very good for the club off the field.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think the signing of Anasta could be a masterstroke. One of the biggest criticisms of the Tigers is that a lot of the senior players carry on as though they are a prince, and Braith, who will also assume a leadership role within the side, will not be afraid to call them on it. Even if he is average on the field, I think he will be very good for the club off the field.

That's what I'm thinking too. I want someone on the field to tell Marshall to stop being stupid when he throws a cut out pass into row 7 or tries a grubber on our own 30m line, instead of the likes of heighno, beau, Moltzen and probably sheens giving him a cuddle and telling him it will work next time. I'm confident Anasta will do this.

I'm also confident that if we have the ball on halfway on the last tackle whilst up by 2 with 3mins to go in a semi final he won't run the fcking ball.

Matchball

Bench
I cant really add anything more after those posts but we are a top 8 side. We finished 10th with a disfunctional coach with hairbrain scheme to turn everyone in the side into a 5/8. Chris Lawrence and Liam Fulton got a crack ffs..

Thank f**k sheens is gone. I couldnt handle another season of that.

innsaneink

Referee
Sheens was given 5 years when he arrived....got a trophy withing three.

Potter needs to be given the same time & patience......it wont all click overnight, this is several seasons in the making particulalry with some of the juniors we have coming thru

innsaneink

Referee
That's what I'm thinking too. I want someone on the field to tell Marshall to stop being stupid when he throws a cut out pass into row 7 or tries a grubber on our own 30m line, instead of the likes of heighno, beau, Moltzen and probably sheens giving him a cuddle and telling him it will work next time. I'm confident Anasta will do this.

I'm also confident that if we have the ball on halfway on the last tackle whilst up by 2 with 3mins to go in a semi final he won't run the fcking ball.

I thought Eliis may have been this bloke, and then Blair....but they both just stood around looking stupid....no one tells Marshall what to do

hardbaby

Coach
Can't exactly blame Ellis for that. He was the Tigers best forward for every season until injury hit him. Anasta will not be telling Marshall what to do. Hopefully he'll listen to Potter.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ellis didn't seem like much of a talker, lead through his actions though and carried our pack big time from 09-11.

Blair has never crossed me as a leader, though hopefully he can step up next year.

Latest posts