What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will the Tigers go in 2013

How will the Tigers go in 2013

• 1-4

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 5-8

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • 9-12

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • 13-16

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm usually pretty pessimistic/realistic about their chances (in 2009 I tipped them to come in the bottom 4) but for the first time in forever I really have no idea what the tigers will bring coming into a season.

Not many people are giving us a chance and I can totally see where they are coming from. 2012 was a complete disaster. Before a ball was kicked out brilliant young 7 was sacked, we had probably the worst injury toll of any club, 9 different halves pairings, player/coach discontent, completely idiotic selections, Moltzen at fullback all year and some of the most heartless performances I've ever seen. Yet despite this we still only finished 1 win out of the 8

However I am hoping that with sheens gone and some of the 'benji club' moved on we will see a different attitude. I believe we still have a good squad on paper and this year have a heap of depth. The only player we will miss is Ellis, however he only played 11 games this year anyway (which we lost 8). Ryan is whole hearted but will only ever be an average first grader. Heighington has been shit for 3 years, matt bell was better then him last year FFS. Our state sup made the grand final and our 20s raped it whilst missing Tedesco, Sironen and Groat who have made every possible junior rep side.

Any team with Farah and Marshall will always be dangerous and capable of winning games whilst the team plays like complete shit (which was pretty much every game in 2012 bar the wins against NQ and Canberra). I'm hopeful that Potter will bring a new sense of discipline into the team, drop under forming players and pick players in their fcking proper positions!!! If he does this then I believe we will be very a very strong team.

Miller, tedesco, sironen, Murdoch-Masila, korobeite, fotuika and nofoaluma are some of the best young talent going around. Miller has been sought after since he was 14 and andrew johns said he is the best 7 he has seen in the NYC. Obviously that's no guarantee of success, he might be a DCE or he might be a Beau Henry, however he is a natural 7 who has dominated every age group and potter has already said that he will be given first crack a the 7 so it's his to lose.

As PP said potter said that one of the things he noticed about the tigers forwards was that they don't run hard. This was coached by sheens who said he believed running at markers and submitting ensured a quick play the ball, well it did for 8 fcking weeks in 2005...too bad the ruck is about 17 times slower then back then. He has identified our weaknesses and is already going about rectifying them.

Who knows, the players might chuck a hissy fit at a stricter regime and we have a revolt against potter, Farah might sign with parra after round 5 and the season turns to shit. I don't know, really 2013 isn't purely about results for me, I just want to see a change in attitude from the team and club as a whole. If we come 12th but I feel that the players put in and I don't see losses like against the dragons in round 3 and roosters in r25, where I honestly believe the players stopped trying, then i will be happy

Last edited:

hardbaby

Coach
Great post Vic. I think that sums it up perfectly. And there are lots of supporters who feel the same way about their teams' chances. Tigers, Dragons, Roosters, Panthers and Warriors are all teams that are pushing for the last spot in the 8. But I can almost guarantee that one of these sides will finish in the bottom 3. It's a really tight comp. In my opinion the two most solid teams of the last few years (Manly and Storm) are very susceptible. Parra looks like the only team in real trouble and even they have some upside and could surprise. 2013 will be a great comp with lots of upsets.

Stagger Lee

Bench
A worth while read that Vic.

For mine I hope Potter does well, I would love for him to be the Dragons coach.

Last edited:
I think if any club needed to start season 2013 tomorrow it is us. Our board is still squabbling over the interests of either side of the merger because many are dinosaurs who 13 years on still won't embrace the JV, the players will just be wanting to get out there and play. We have lost some big personalities in Ryan and Heighington, neither are irreplaceable on the field though. Ellis is a massive loss, but as Vic said, we somehow did better without him. We have a new coach who won't be trying to move players around in a desperate attempt to show he's still one of the games best coaches. We've also signed a leader in Anasta who won't be afraid to tell a few of the primadonas in the side to pull their fingers out and to stop being too precious.

I think we're a great chance at making the 8, if Potter can deliver on what he is promising (forwards finally fire it up) and we have a decent run with injuries, there is no reason why we can't make the 8. Our biggest question marks are the fullback and halfback position. Tedesco and Miller are widely untested.

BranVan3000

Coach
Wooden spoon

Bunji Mushall will have his worst year on record, his eyesight will be constantly affected by a buildup of tears as he thinks of all the friends he has lost to the Sharks.

Moltzen will hold him tightly at night but his sweet embrace will not be enough to stop the haunting dreams of the Sheens regime. By the end of the season Bunji will quit the game

Rather than losing Bunji to Japanese rugby the West Tigers will leave Sydney and start a Japanese rugby team

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Can't see them near the 8 TBH. If Farah and Marshall can stay fit and a few others lift their act then they could go alright, but definitely not contenders.

nikko

Juniors
i am quietly confident they will go well - this confidence i feel may just be as a result of Sheens going (relief??) and some of the things coach potter has been saying - miller at half , benji back to where he should be , instill more aggro in the forwards etc etc
Although i will be forever grateful for their contributions , losing ryan and heignington was no major body blow like a lot of people are saying . As stated we have some very talented young fellas coming through - I am also happy with the pettybourne , braith and thompson signings.
Benji copped a lot of criticism this year , in his mind i think he will be out to prove a point next year , and back at 5/8 i think he will.
I also see braith cops alot of criticism - all my rooster mates were happy to see him go but i'm not so sure it will be a dud signing - he will be someone else with a point to prove and his experience (and goalkicking??) will help us.
i guess my only concern is our pack , i rate it but depth is going to be an issue when injuries happen but other than that , 5th or 6th
great post by Vic btw and pistol pete i wish you would post more often , i love your points of view.....go tiges

hardbaby

Coach
For Anasta to have a good season he needs to stop telling people what to do and actually do something himself.

NAS

Juniors
I think if any club needed to start season 2013 tomorrow it is us. Our board is still squabbling over the interests of either side of the merger because many are dinosaurs who 13 years on still won't embrace the JV, the players will just be wanting to get out there and play. We have lost some big personalities in Ryan and Heighington, neither are irreplaceable on the field though. Ellis is a massive loss, but as Vic said, we somehow did better without him. We have a new coach who won't be trying to move players around in a desperate attempt to show he's still one of the games best coaches. We've also signed a leader in Anasta who won't be afraid to tell a few of the primadonas in the side to pull their fingers out and to stop being too precious.

I think we're a great chance at making the 8, if Potter can deliver on what he is promising (forwards finally fire it up) and we have a decent run with injuries, there is no reason why we can't make the 8. Our biggest question marks are the fullback and halfback position. Tedesco and Miller are widely untested.

The big issue for the Tigers is going to be defence. Fulton can tackle but is he in the Nathan Hindmarsh category of being able to carry an entire teams defence? The other back rowers are not known for their work ethic or their defence (Pettybourne is tough, but he can get complacent), and only Woods is known for either in the front row.

The other issue is whether Potter has the players to really impose his own style of play. He's had no say on recruitment this year, and I think that there's something to be said for certain players, suiting certain coaches, and others bombing (look no further than Adam Blair for example).

innsaneink

Referee
The big issue for the Tigers is going to be defence. Fulton can tackle but is he in the Nathan Hindmarsh category of being able to carry an entire teams defence? The other back rowers are not known for their work ethic or their defence (Pettybourne is tough, but he can get complacent), and only Woods is known for either in the front row.

The other issue is whether Potter has the players to really impose his own style of play. He's had no say on recruitment this year, and I think that there's something to be said for certain players, suiting certain coaches, and others bombing (look no further than Adam Blair for example).

Enter Royce Simmons....the defensive coach who had us at 12th in defence when we won the comp in 05

Awesome

nikko

Juniors
Enter Royce Simmons....the defensive coach who had us at 12th in defence when we won the comp in 05

Awesome
:D - classic - i'm sure he's there due to a contractual/money thing because i'm not sure that potter would hold him in the same regard as sheens did.....i'm thinking potter will have to endure alot of the baggage sheens has left behind , poor bastard....imagine the politics you'd have to put up with....

Last edited:

Earl

Coach
With Moltzen and Anasta in the side its hard to see the Tigers losing a game this year

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Can't see how they will do any worse than last year. Only top quality player they have lost is Ellis, who was barely on the field last season. Ryan and Heighington offered plenty in effort but nothing in the area of football skill. Have picked up 3 handy players so should have no worries covering the departures in the second row.

yosemite

Juniors
Success is dependant on a stable front office.

With the JV crumbling, i see them finishing no better than 12th.

gronkathon

First Grade
Play for the full 80 each week and dont pack it in or play in a heartless fashion and I will be happy no matter where we end up on the table.

Any pain now is worth getting rid of the great Sheenso

Spot On

Coach
Anasta :sarcasm:

A very unusual purchase. Is he a back up for when the lock, five-eighth or (God forbid) the halback goes down???????????????

Still have two great players wearing the 9 and 7 so attack should be fine. A couple of the props need to pull their fingers out and new backrowers have big boots to fill.

You would think if they improve defensively they will be there abouts.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Regardless of results, it will be the start of a new era for the Tigers & that is going to bring some on field pain.

Lots of power shifts and drama's next year in the media I reckon surrounding Benji.

Will struggle on the park, but will be better for 2013 as a club.

carcharias

Immortal
put it this way.

I wouldn't wanna be supporting the tigers next year. 13th or lower

that also goes for Penrith , dragons and now the raiders.

Parra might go ok ...It is a Ricky thing...1 good year followed by 3 very bad ones.

Latest posts