What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSV Coupe 4

The_Ben

Juniors
Aussie_Knight said:
All i can say is....................
031016w101s.jpg

Very Nice :D

I'm with you Aussie Knight. I'll be seeing myself in one of these when they get released next June.

Aussie_Knight

Juniors
Your first post doesn't indicate you were talking about the engine Innconu and second why are you limiting the technology to the engine? - so what if they are using the V8 concept obviously the quality of the engine has improved since the 70's and why move on to new technology you would rather improve on the previous version or model and you can't say that they haven't done that since the 70's.

And Holden Engines such as the LS1 Generation III 5.7 litre alloy V8 were developed in the USA

"The latest Holden V8 is a clean sheet design, developed in the U.S. by General Motors Powertrain Group at a project cost of US$1 billion. While it has been engineered to satisfy 21st century criteria in terms of compact packaging and operating efficiency, this advanced alloy V8 remains a muscular performer in the true V8 tradition. Its design has evolved from and shares the inherent strengths of the famed Chevrolet 'small block' 350 V8 (the most popular and enduring U.S. engine of all time) and it currently powers such high-performance Chevrolet nameplates as the '99 Corvette and Camaro."

Us Australian's do what now??? and $1 billion dollars certainly wouldn't be spent to just reproduce the traditional V8.

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/Holden_GenIII_specs.htm - take a look for yourself Innconu and tell me if there hasn't been any technological improvements since the 70's.

The_Ben

Juniors
To add a different dimension to this topic. Why get a WRX???? you're only going to pay through the roof with insurance (if you can get it at all) and become a serious attraction for carjackings and theft because the WRX is the car of choice for ram raids and robberies.

Errr no thanks, I'll pass on the wrx idea.

astrogirl

First Grade
My friend has a WRX. He told me that if the engine's running and the door opens and closes while the engines running, the engine stalls or something.

That's anti carjacking protection, right?

astrogirl

First Grade
I have a gripe. That HSV pic is giving me page width issues. My PC at work has a small screen :(

The_Ben

Juniors
astrogirl said:
My friend has a WRX. He told me that if the engine's running and the door opens and closes while the engines running, the engine stalls or something.

Never heard of something like this. You'd have to have a kill switch somewhere, because everytime you pull up to somewhere to drop or pick someone up, you would either have to turn the engine off or use some sort of kill switch to save the car from stalling.

Best anti-carjacking device I have ever seen was in Sth Africa where CarJacking is very common. A simple shoot of flames up both sides of the car was selling like hotcakes in J Berg. Most carjackers would end up burnt to a crisp.

An EVO is a better car than the WRX anyway.. But both would kill most cars with take off speed.. Gotta love the All wheel drive. And for 4 cylinders they f**ken hammer. Why go for V8s and V6s when these 4 cylinders can easily hold their own.. An EVOs top speed is around 260km/h and can reach 60km/h in around 4.4 seconds.

astrogirl

First Grade
The_Ben said:
Never heard of something like this. You'd have to have a kill switch somewhere, because everytime you pull up to somewhere to drop or pick someone up, you would either have to turn the engine off or use some sort of kill switch to save the car from stalling.

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. Just the driver's door.

Andy

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
An EVO is a better car than the WRX anyway.. But both would kill most cars with take off speed.. Gotta love the All wheel drive. And for 4 cylinders they f***en hammer. Why go for V8s and V6s when these 4 cylinders can easily hold their own.. An EVOs top speed is around 260km/h and can reach 60km/h in around 4.4 seconds.

Try towing a aravan, a boat or a fully loaded trailer with one of your little 4 cylinder cars and see how quickly it over heats or doesn't move anywhere at all.

The raw size and power of a big 6 or 8 gives you neck snapping tourque and grunt, wich can't be manifested in these smaller engines.

My XR6 ute has balls.[/b]

Andy

First Grade
Andy said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
Why go for V8s and V6s when these 4 cylinders can easily hold their own.. quote]

Try towing a aravan, a boat or a fully loaded trailer with one of your little 4 cylinder cars and see how quickly it over heats or doesn't move anywhere at all.

The raw size and power of a big 6 or 8 gives you neck snapping tourque and grunt, wich can't be manifested in these smaller engines.

My XR6 ute for example, without requiring a turbo, has 500Nm of tourque and tows VERY well.

thats what a 4WD is for.. I wouldnt be towing a boat with a sedan especially the sporty type... Some boat ramps are very bad... And our 4WD can easily account for a caravan or boat, and its a 4 cylinder, hilux.

Anyway, evos arent designed to tow things..

Andy

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
thats what a 4WD is for.. I wouldnt be towing a boat with a sedan especially the sporty type... Some boat ramps are very bad... And our 4WD can easily account for a caravan or boat, and its a 4 cylinder, hilux.

So tell me where the practicallity lies in owning an Evo or a WRX then???

Andy said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

Because they look awesome and are ideal cars to zoom around the city in.

Andy

First Grade
Chicken_Hunter said:
Andy said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

Because they look awesome and are ideal cars to zoom around the city in.

Fair enough. But given the two differing price tags, and the fact that I live in beautiful spacious Newcastle I'd stick with my XR ute.

Evo VIII - $55k

BA XR6 - $37k
Ski Boat - $18k
Total - $55k

Do the math. Buy a Ford. :D

When i get my career, i will hopefully have both. A 4wd, prolly a hilux, and something sporty, or some poser car made to look sporty, such as a normal gutless lancer with an evo kit :lol: It is an absolute nightmare lugging a 4WD around in peek hr traffic. But if all goes to plan i may get a posting to williamtown which would be good then i wouldnt have to worry about a million cars in the lovely spacious newcastle as you put it lol.

Sweeper

Juniors
Innconu said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
anyone know the price tag for that evo 8?

This article claims about $52,000AUD is the price in the US ($30000 US)

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/1_01_mit.htm
Nope. $79,000 for an Evo VIII in Australia. I don't know how accurate that article is... either. The Australian spec Evo will probably be downtuned to cope with lower quality fuel. The Evo VII looks much better...too.

Anyway, hows Mitsubishi's World rally program going? :lol: :lol: How they doing in the Australia Championship? :lol: 8) The Subes are better!
crap article said:
The Mitsu's turbo engine drives all four wheels via a five-speed manual transmission, as does the STi.
Ahem, thats a six speed gearbox for the STi!

Sweeper

Juniors
astrogirl said:

Yeah, it cuts the engine and won't start until the correct PIN is entered into the computer located near the ignition! It's red..too, not the lovely Subaru WRC blue you would expect. Doesn't work too well when you've got a gun to your head.. apparently :shock:

It something like a 15 second timer.
Aussie_Knight said:
Your first post doesn't indicate you were talking about the engine Innconu and second why are you limiting the technology to the engine? - so what if they are using the V8 concept obviously the quality of the engine has improved since the 70's and why move on to new technology you would rather improve on the previous version or model and you can't say that they haven't done that since the 70's.

And Holden Engines such as the LS1 Generation III 5.7 litre alloy V8 were developed in the USA

"The latest Holden V8 is a clean sheet design, developed in the U.S. by General Motors Powertrain Group at a project cost of US$1 billion. While it has been engineered to satisfy 21st century criteria in terms of compact packaging and operating efficiency, this advanced alloy V8 remains a muscular performer in the true V8 tradition. Its design has evolved from and shares the inherent strengths of the famed Chevrolet 'small block' 350 V8 (the most popular and enduring U.S. engine of all time) and it currently powers such high-performance Chevrolet nameplates as the '99 Corvette and Camaro."

Us Australian's do what now??? and $1 billion dollars certainly wouldn't be spent to just reproduce the traditional V8.

http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/Holden_GenIII_specs.htm - take a look for yourself Innconu and tell me if there hasn't been any technological improvements since the 70's.
Only $1 billion. And what was the result? Excessive oil use, annoying piston slap and lots of unhappy customers with engines being totally rebuilt several times at a huge cost to Holden. They've fixed the problem. FPV have had a similar problem on a much smaller scale with the 290Boss V8.

Besides American enginering and built quality is crap, which is why Ford builds its V8's in Australia.

Latest posts