What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

huge development in superleague.

winnyason

Juniors
looking to go to 14 teams from trl forum
all this to come in by 2008/9 So in 4 years looks like we will see

2 London Teams
2 French Teams
1 Welsh team
and 9 others. Probably say good bye to Leigh, Widnes, Wakefield, and Huddersfield, all going down to NL1 unless they get things sorted on/off the pitch

finally they see what we are talking about, two days ago writing off toulouse saying clubs would block it now this is good for the game.
something to compete with henekein cup.

i would see it this way
1.wigan (no need to explain)
2.leeds
3.warrington(new stadium growing crowds)
4.hull(best stadium in superleague good team)
5.st.helens(most dominent side in superleague)
6.bradford(powerhouse of game)
6.salford(bright future major backer)
7.huddersfield(history of the game)
8.london (need a prescence in capital)
9.castleford( league stronghold)
10.hull kr(have more support than hull, would set up great derby)
11.sheffield/another london
12. swansea (remember 1995 wc 1/4 final 15000, they would get more support than bridgend)
13.perpagian
14.toulouse.

we may see mergers take place would not like to see it happen, the total abolish of relegation, who knows. bleak future for wakefield, widnes, leigh.

now this is exciting.

the nrl needs to bight the bullet & expand for another team across the tasman, i am guessing they are waiting for the money offer for the tv deal. one thing is for sure the need to sell the rep footy(tri series & soo seperate to nrl).come on bring in wellington & goldy.

Matt M

Juniors
I'm not so sure about getting rid of Widnes, they are quite well off financially and are potentially a huge club if given enough time. But by looking at the 14 you have I can't fine a spot for them really.

yakstorm

First Grade
That information is slightly incorrect.

What the plan is, is Super League will go to 14 teams. With the RFL to look at in addition to the current 12 + UTC, at either a 2nd French side, a Welsh side or London side.

Now if the interest and money is there, a few of the current Super League sides might be dropped down to regroup in the National Leagues whilst the new sides take their place. The overall plan is to remove instant promo/relegation and instead make it on a case by case basis.

Costaki

Juniors
yakstorm said:
That information is slightly incorrect.

What the plan is, is Super League will go to 14 teams. With the RFL to look at in addition to the current 12 + UTC, at either a 2nd French side, a Welsh side or London side.

Now if the interest and money is there, a few of the current Super League sides might be dropped down to regroup in the National Leagues whilst the new sides take their place. The overall plan is to remove instant promo/relegation and instead make it on a case by case basis.

i would like to c a welsh side in the super league

yakstorm

First Grade
Good on the Irish, it is important that one of the three Celtic regions get a representation especially with the plan to break up the home nations, there is a need for these regions to start to produce their own top grade talent, and what better way to do it than with your own professional club.

DIEHARD

----
Super League said:
The Rugby Football League have confirmed their intention to increase the size of Super League to 14 clubs.

The governing body met with representatives of clubs to present the findings of a recent review of the competition’s structure on Wednesday. The results of the meeting will be announced on Thursday but RFL executive chairman Richard Lewis believes an increase to 14 clubs from 2008 will create a more balanced competition and more room for representative fixtures.

Clubs currently play 28 games, playing six teams three times and the other five twice. Lewis told Sky Sports’ ‘Boots n’ All’ show: “If we can go up to 14 teams there is every chance then of reducing the number of matches played in the regular season by two. That could create opportunities for international matches but it could also create opportunities for more rest of the players.”

Changes to the promotion and relegation system are also being planned due to the huge difference in quality between Super League and the National League.

Leigh were promoted after winning the National League Grand Final last October but had little time to build a competitive side and are favourites for relegation.

One proposal being considered is the granting of immunity from immediate relegation from the competition by not promoting every year.

Lewis added: “We are probably talking about no promotion or relegation. We are talking about clubs guaranteed a place in Super League for two or three years – those details haven’t been finalised – and not facing the fear of relegation every year and therefore having to make short-term decisions.

“They would not have to invest in players when realistically sometimes it is better to invest in facilities and marketing.”

Lewis insisted this would not mean clubs in the National League will be prevented from moving up to Super League.

He said: “What we are really saying are clubs at National League level, as long as they have got the crowd and the facilities, they will have the opportunity. It will be a transparent system and one in that the clubs will know what they have to aspire to and, crucially, will have time to prepare.

SUPER LEAGUE

DIEHARD

----
The Super League Strategy

The full details of a strategy for the future of the engage Super League has been unveiled today.

The RFL’s Executive Chairman Richard Lewis made a presentation to the media alongside RFL Chief Operatiing Officer Nigel Wood.

The main points of the presentation and the strategy are:

Super League is in its tenth season with the engage Super League competition currently enjoying great success on many fronts.

The League is supported by strong broadcast agreements with major partners Sky Sports and secondary rights holders BBC Sport.

Attendances are increasing, an exciting new partnership is in place with a new main sponsor Engage Mutual Assurance, new stadia have been developed with more planned and the Championship deciding Grand Final is a major date in the British sporting calendar.

This success provides a great platform on which to plan and build further progress.

The following are a result of engage Super League clubs resolving that they and the RFL can work collectively towards some agreed aspirations and overall objectives:

Super League to seek to expand to 14 clubs

Super League Membership criteria strengthened / Promotion method amended

Player workload / season calendar assessed

Positive emphasis placed on developing each club’s businesses via marketing and commercial growth

Ongoing RFL support for the currently successful partnerships with clubs which create the Junior Player Production and Coach Education Programmes

‘Employed’ Match Officials operating by 2007 - to enable better preparation and training by leading Match Officials

Commenting on the strategy, the Rugby Football League’s Executive Chairman Richard Lewis said:

"The engage Super League is currently enjoying tremendous all round success and thus the competition has a great platform to build on and move towards further growth.

“The strategy aims to deliver a competition which attracts greater levels of investment, can successfully expand and is the driving force behind Rugby League’s vibrant and successful future”.

Each of the above objectives and aspirations will be supported by a specific schedule of activity to be carried at club level in partnership with the RFL. This will begin as soon as appropriate.

Click here to see Richard Lewis on Super League TV explaining more …..

Stay logged onto www.superleague.co.uk for more information about these important developments for the game of Rugby League and the engage Super League.

This clip may take a few seconds to connect and requires Real Player to view www.real.com

Take a look at what Richard Lewis says -> here

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Changes I would like to see:

ESL renamed European Super League

Leeds
Wigan
Hull
Bradford
St Helens
London
Warrington
Widnes
Huddersfield
Salford
UTC
Toulouse
Welsh Side
Irish Side

Another French side plus some Celtic sides are a must, that would be a pretty well rounded comp.

joshreading

Staff member
How much does it normally cost to run a Euro Super League side? Especially what is wigan, Bradford etc running on?

joshreading

Staff member
I hope to see the day when a Russian side is in the European Super League There are those in Russia that easily have the money it is just a matter of convincing them that it is worth their rubels

The Observer

Staff member
yakstorm said:
The overall plan is to remove instant promo/relegation and instead make it on a case by case basis.

Isn't it the case currently that P&R is not automatic, and is dependent on the state of the NL1 champions' stadium?

screeny

Bench
I don't get it. We don't have the depth of players needed for a 12-team comp, let alone a 14 team comp.

Too many matches have crap attendances as it is, how will diluting the division make attendances increase on the back of closer matches?

Also, this is the main thing: since when does the number of teams in a division dictate how many matches make up a season? Do all NFL clubs play each other? No. There're an optimum number of matches in a season, based on finance, player wear and tear, TV requirements etc, and an optimum number of teams in a league, based on cash, player depth, supporter catchment areas etc.

IMO the RFL needs to decide what they are and work towards an elite comp, not just increase to 14 teams so we can play 26 matches. Heck, play 26 matches with 12 clubs.

NL1 has been getting more and more attractive, with some big clubs and big attendances. Halifax, Cas, Haven, plus perhaps Leigh and Widnes from 2006 - a great league in its own right.

In the strategic review a couple of years ago the aim was for 10-team leagues, now we've changed yet again!!!

I like the idea of modified franchising and controlled P&R, but I'm sceptical that English RL has the talent to support expansion. Maybe in a few years it'll be a lot different as the game certainly is in a state of flux at the moment and entering a golden age.

Copa

Bench
screeny said:
I like the idea of modified franchising and controlled P&R, but I'm sceptical that English RL has the talent to support expansion.
WHo says the expansion clubs will be English??

screeny

Bench
OK British then. But the point remains, European RL doesn't have the players at present.

If the number of French players increases, or those in power deem Welsh rugby stocks of a sufficient standard to make up the bulk of a SL side then so be it, but we all know it's not that simple or easy to produce SL quality players in such a short period of time.

British RL doesnt' have the talent to support 12 English teams at present. So you think a 14 team league with 2 French and one Welsh team, for example, will be a differnet story? I'm not convinced.

Jeffles

Bench
I don't see this as terribly big news.

P&R in the SL is already on a case by case basis. Just ask any Hunslet or Dewsbury fan. And franchising has already started with UTC. What is happening is that the SL criteria is becoming more stringent and more franchising is being considered.

At the moment I do not think there is the player strength in SL to warrant a rise in team numbers. I would wait at least 10 years. I am also wary about franchises from 2nd London and Wales that do not come through the National Leagues. Like Gateshead I am concerned that it would be a synthetic and unsustainable popularity. Toulouse may be the exception.

Whatever criteria for promotion the RFL lay down I hope it is not that strict as to make promotion unattainable. NL clubs should be made to feel like they belong to the structure. Unlike Australia, there is a sh*tload of RL fans that do not follow the main league. It would be a mistake to lose them.

What I do like is that regular season games will go down and the fact that RL is trying to improve itself.

southsman

Juniors
Your dreaming. London cannot support one team let alone 2. Wales has been tried before twice both unsuccessful. I agree in the upcoming 5-10 years I'm sure a Welsh team could be on the cards and with hard work by the super league we may get one. Ireland is making alot of progress but alot of work is needed as country is Union and Soccer mad. I to would love to see a Dublin team enter the comp but at least 10 years of solid development first.

hutch

First Grade
i think this is a great step forward, and if done correctly could revolutionise the game oner there. i think for the time being we moniter the progress of the first french team in super league, before looking at adding another. but within 5 years it would be great to see 2 french teams, plus a team from wales in super league. and i cant wait for the day a proper home nations tournament run mid season is included.

southsman, i wasnt aware a welsh team had ever been included in superleague. when and who were they?

griff

Bench
A smaller Super League will lead to a better quality NL1, so I think 12 teams is a pretty good size.

I'm also reluctant about making promotion more difficult. That theoretically any club can make it into SL if they try hard enough helps boost the entire NL structure. Closing off SL into a franchise system makes the rest of the league not as attractive to players, fans, and sponsors.

But after McCallum's disastrous stint in charge, when for some reason they actually paid millions of pounds the RFL didn't have in order to close down frontier clubs like Sheffield and Gateshead, it is good to see expansion on the strategic vision.

But where are the players going to come from? London is not really surviving as is, and the last thing we want are more teams like PSG full of substandard Australians.

Latest posts