What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chewbacca

Juniors
Although I'm annoyed re HUNT's request to leave, after tonight's game I can't really blame him. Why wouldn't you want to play where you occasionally get to sing the team song! Our once proud club is a rabble with most of the players lazy, disinterested and lacking fitness. Interesting how well our cast-offs go when they move to another club- Saab, Host and Ford for example.
How do you expect the team to perform when your captain goes public that he doesn't want to play for the club anymore- MID SEASON. I feel bad for the players.
Can you imagine the vibe in the dressing room.
Cut out the tumour. He is a spineless hunt that has leeched 6m bucks from the club. The shape he has left the club in is the mark of the man and it will forever be a stain on his career.
He is a selfish footballer that was enabled by a terrible coach.
Piss off Ben!

thebigredv

First Grade
How do you expect the team to perform when your captain goes public that he doesn't want to play for the club anymore- MID SEASON. I feel bad for the players.
Can you imagine the vibe in the dressing room.
Cut out the tumour. He is a spineless hunt that has leeched 6m bucks from the club. The shape he has left the club in is the mark of the man and it will forever be a stain on his career.
He is a selfish footballer that was enabled by a terrible coach.
Piss off Ben!
Don't make Hunt the scapegoat. He has dogged us big time but those players around him are weak, brainless footballers who constantly stuff up. Hunt asked for some fresh blood to come in and it they haven't even found a replacement for Ramsay yet let alone anyone of note.

Go on, pile all your anger at Hunt but you are missing the true villains - the blokes running the show who have wasted 12 years and even more unearned money than the heartless captain.

teza

Juniors
Blamming Hunt for the team's abysmal form is unfair. Week in week out he has been one of our best players. The independent Daly M judges regularly vote him points. Put the blame where it should lie- squarely at the feet of the Board and their ineptitude. Ask this question: why can other clubs put together good rosters and we can't? Some common decency towards another human being eh!

AJH

Juniors
At this point just let him go. Anything decent that happened tonight came off Sullivan (& one from Liddle).
They can't just release him though. They need to say he's open to transfers on compassionate grounds to move back to QLD, and request a transfer fee to stop him being picked up on a rest-of-season deal to play hooker at the Broncos.

I agree with what a lot of people here are saying-but Hunt being our best player -its like being King Shit on Turd Island-he's only our best because the rest are so bad. But it seems like were just the same as the Tigers now-years of bad decisions by the board have left us having to pay someone like Hunt a bomb when he's not even that good a player. We cant attract anyone decent because were not seen as a chance of ever winning.This goes back to after Wayne left-its been a slow downhill slide. I just hope someone like Flanno can attract some better players, because currently were running 2 reserve grade teams. This attitude of the board about having to appoint someone who understands the Dragons has lead us to this-it isnt 1966 anymore and our run is over. But while the board stays unaccountable i dont see much changing

thebigredv

First Grade
Blamming Hunt for the team's abysmal form is unfair. Week in week out he has been one of our best players. The independent Daly M judges regularly vote him points. Put the blame where it should lie- squarely at the feet of the Board and their ineptitude. Ask this question: why can other clubs put together good rosters and we can't? Some common decency towards another human being eh!

It's hard to win a game of footy on the field. Even when we were half ordinary during the Mary days we still could jag wins on account of the other team stuffing up.

However, it's even harder to win the fight off the field and we are the least active and most insipid club when it comes to recruitment and player development. Completely outclassed by a club that's not even a year old in the comp yet as I see Dolphins adding the likes of Averillo and Farnworth just to make one example of the competition. We are losing the battle before the players even take the field. I think this is what hunt is trying to say.

qld redvee

Juniors
Unfortunately the club are going to have to cut Ben loose on monday there is no way he can be "talked" around by Flanno or anybody as the decision is out of our hands . he wants out has now played the family card and during the presser you could tell that mentally he needs out . We wont be able to " demand" a transfer fee because there will be no official contract out there ( Fox now saying short term ideal to broncos for end of season 23 then more than likely titans for the rest of career ) the best we can do is save his outstanding money for 23 .But we desperately need a player to replace him at 6 or 7 right now - amones defence too shaky for me So Flanno better be hitting the phones to get somebody immediately ( thats right we now get someone to break their contract ) Just would have been nice to limp through this year and then have ben leave Well one consolation as the saying goes the only way is up !!!!!!!!!! well lets hope so

thebigredv

First Grade
Unfortunately the club are going to have to cut Ben loose on monday there is no way he can be "talked" around by Flanno or anybody as the decision is out of our hands . he wants out has now played the family card and during the presser you could tell that mentally he needs out . We wont be able to " demand" a transfer fee because there will be no official contract out there ( Fox now saying short term ideal to broncos for end of season 23 then more than likely titans for the rest of career ) the best we can do is save his outstanding money for 23 .But we desperately need a player to replace him at 6 or 7 right now - amones defence too shaky for me So Flanno better be hitting the phones to get somebody immediately ( thats right we now get someone to break their contract ) Just would have been nice to limp through this year and then have ben leave Well one consolation as the saying goes the only way is up !!!!!!!!!! well lets hope so
So we let Hunt go to stop him being mentally hurt??

What is with this line of thinking? The only thing that would give a fan like me sanity is to see Hunt sit out and sook there on the sidelines. We have to sit and watch this circus and we don't get paid a million dollars to watch the thing we've invested our lives in be torn to shreds. He can't run rings around us when he is still at our club. Imagine him playing alongside the likes of Reynolds or Foran at teams already superior to us. That would be the final straw for me.

There's nothing to be gained by letting him go this season, no matter how little effort he puts in if he stays.

Saving money is what we have done for the last 3 years. I'm not sure our club understands the concept of the salary cap. Why save money? Spend it. Buy some players who don't fold like a cheap Chinese suit.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
A contract is a contract.
If we (NRL) let him go as he pleases.
every player from every team could; and should be allowed to use the same excuse as he pleases.
Teams will be stacked.
As it is there are too many teams with players of little skill.
14 teams max. Many of these players are taking the pi$$ out of the sport. Easy money
Just mercenaries l!!!!

Illusion

Bench
I’m getting real sick of looking at Ben Hunt’s head
Yep it depression mode , far too serious looking for mine ...... Needs to lighten up ....... Anyway can't see him staying on , and I don't want him staying on .......

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
A contract is a contract.
If we (NRL) let him go as he pleases.
every player from every team could; and should be allowed to use the same excuse as he pleases.
Teams will be stacked.
As it is there are too many teams with players of little skill.
14 teams max. Many of these players are taking the pi$$ out of the sport. Easy money
Just mercenaries l!!!!
Yes it is far to easy now to just want out...... Im just not enjoying my footy here ....or the old line my family is homesick and want to get back home or the weather's better......then the other side of the coin is its no sense making him stay if he doesn't want to be here or we wont get the best footy out of him etc etc.....it's just unbelievable that these blokes can break their contracts mid or two thirds through the season and leave a club thats coming near the bottom and join one that's at the top or near to it.....and your correct the players are taking the piss out of the sport now and the way the set up is with the NRL they are letting them and the players know it

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Yes we all believe we release ourselves from this toxic marriage but what BH should give a thought to is that his mate Hook is 75% at fault for what he created and a pile he left us with. He let go of players who were begging to be given a chance yet he kept persisting with his love children without the consideration of what it was doing to young ones in the rise. Prime example Jackson Ford. He may not be the best player but given a chance the kid has blossomed. So BH sure we have our issues but your messiah is responsible for what he created and for everything to revolve around you.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I’d like some of the let Hunt leave crew in the media to acknowledge that at least some of the reason we are so bad now is because we pandered to Ben Hunt. We employed his choice of coach, who then went out buying ‘friends of Hunt’. This was an unmitigated disaster and had a flow on affect of delaying the testing of our young up and comers, who are now at least 12 months less experienced than they should be. Yes we are finding some will not make the grade but we could have found that out a year ago. That’s on the board for pandering to him but it is now also a house built by Hook with Hunts assistance. He shares partial culpability.

But the thing that most annoys me is the lack of fortitude, the lack of resilience, in the squad. A couple of things go against them and they toss it in. This is unforgivable. This is the first thing Flanno needs to fix, it goes hand in hand with fixing our defence.