What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brissiedragon

Juniors
Hunt to showponies for the remainder of the year for a transfer fee and Tits the two years thereafter means no player swap for us from the Titans.
Broncos = win
Titans = win
Dragons = lose

Can't help but think we have been monumentally played by Titans and Broncos. I say up the stakes and tell Ben no deal unless there is a player swap, play in Reggie's if you don't like it.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I’d much rather we sat him on the sidelines for the rest of this year while we negotiate compensation for the next two years.

Or is that just being vindictive?
No its not vindictive in my book as I would do the same.....this will send a message to any player in the NRL that they can't just take off from a club when under contract ....tbh they are taking the piss out of the NRL

hewi

Bench
Hunt to showponies for the remainder of the year for a transfer fee and Tits the two years thereafter means no player swap for us from the Titans.
Broncos = win
Titans = win
Dragons = lose

Can't help but think we have been monumentally played by Titans and Broncos. I say up the stakes and tell Ben no deal unless there is a player swap, play in Reggie's if you don't like it.

No big win for the Dragon's, they get the bludger off the books and out of the club and if we can piss Bird off as well we have serious coin to spend on hopefully players that will appreciate wearing the red V

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Explain please
Thanks
Without being long winded. But, the pairing in the halves/hooker role was interesting.
CM started hooker with HF starting at 6. LKT was on the bench and could have easily played Flegg tomorrow. Remember, ressies played on NZ. Flegg play in Melbourne tomorrow.
In any case, CM goes off after around 4 mins (heat taken out of the opening exchanges naybe) HF moves to hooker. LKT comes on at 6 and plays out the rest of the game. Herring played 7 for the whole game.

With Hunt surly moving on, doubt about Jr's future and Mbye seemingly out of favour. Who partners Bud? Herring? Or are they fast tracking LKT?
Who will be looked at for the #14 if Mbye or Jr are not available CM? HF? Both now seemingly getting familiar playing multiple roles.

Who got these guys to the Dragons in the first place?

Apologies, as I said without going into a War and Peace type of writing, this seems rather convenient given the situation surrounding Hunt.

Illusion

Bench
I have followed the dragons for 50 years. If they let him walk to Broncos and the sign with a Sydney club next year that’s it for me… signing off forever
Mate don't sign off for ever because the board has no idea and are a bunch of Muppets ...... Stay with us and we can all suffer together ....... Mate the board CEO are all being found out now , so stick around and let's see what Flanno can do ...... Hunt has to go eitherway ......

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
If Hunt goes to the reported Donkeys for the rest of the year and in particular plays 9 what an absolute arsehole.....for the good of our team, in particular these past few seasons when he could have quite easily played in the hooking role and also nurtured and guided our up and comers around the park he wasn't the least bit interested ....and yet now the thinking is Mmmmm "my team is coming last I think I will go to the team coming first because there's a spot at 9 and I could help them out and theres every chance we could win the premiership". Seriously if our mob dont take a stand and make him sit out the rest of this season then they are every bit as guilty and morally wrong as he is.....I thought it was interesting and my ears pricked up when on the pre match show last night Ennis and The Kid on the Potty Alexander were discussing where Hunt would go and mentioned The Titans (which everyone was tipping) and The Donkeys which no one previously had mentioned ...
In short Ive never been a true Hunt supporter and can take him or leave him and its never really been a concern if he goes.....in closing imo we owe Hunt nothing hes been handsomely paid for his efforts during his time with us and a time where we havnt once made the 8 in 16 teams

Dragon David

First Grade
Look when you weigh it all up, the best call to make is allow Hunt to go. If we can jag a few dollars from it or a suitable player - which I doubt will happen, then it won't hurt so much.

Hunt is never going to be happy at the Dragons now and that will affect the other members of the squad immensely. Whether he plays in firsts or reserves he will show that he has the shits and not get too involved in the games which will have a big bearing on the attitude of all of the other players. If the Dragons sits him out of the teams, we will be contravening conditions in his contract.

At the end of the day we will save on not having to pay him the motsa he is getting now enabling us to go into the marketplace and get some top forwards who we desperately need for the future to compliment the better ones we already have and to shoulder the job of defending and attacking raids to get the backs on the go to score tries and to negate the backs having to bend their backs in defence too often.

Hunt has been okay as a player for us. He hasn't been consistently getting us winning regularly over the years though and I know that our lack of player strength has been cause for this as well and he would be frustrated and knows that this wont change in the near future as he is getting older. He obviously would like to win a premiership like all of the players in the comp but I think that winning more games and being in the top 4/8 in the next few years even without winning the comp would see himself being happier.

Hunt has stated that he wants an immediate release and wants to move "back home". We know it isn't family related, otherwise he would have said from the outset that he wanted to move back to Queensland because his wife needs family network nearby desperately or some other family reason and he could have said he would be happy to see out this year at the Dragons if the club releases him from his remaining 2 years. But no, he wants immediate release and we now know why which makes him look a goose for telling porkies all the way through this joke of a mess.

I think the NRL need to make sure that all the processes between all parties have reached an amicable decision one way or the other but they also need to be stern with what has occurred and the clubs circling should be penalised in some way.

Gareth67

First Grade
The last word I heard Hunt say was that he would play against the Warriors ( well howdy doody , but you have a contract to play you know Ben ? ) and he would then sit down during the week with the Dragon powerbrokers ( 😂 ) and explain to them how he would like to get back to his family etc. etc. - play the violin music someone .

And heres a bloke sitting down watching the nag racing on channel 7 on a Saturday afternoon only to be violently pulled out of his contentment to discover that the little Judas has all but signed with the Broncs ! The skulduggery of other clubs plus the media assassination and the rather late action of the NRL itself , have all combined to bring Hunt home to Pineapple land and also leaving the Dragons wondering just what is a contract truly worth nowadays .

Seriously however it is best that he goes as quickly as possible as this has gone on too long now and as a result is only dragging the Big Red V through the mud .

As many have already said the Dragons must be reimbursed financially for their loss and have Hunt replaced with a younger player who would take pride in wearing the St.George Illawarra jersey .

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Look when you weigh it all up, the best call to make is allow Hunt to go. If we can jag a few dollars from it or a suitable player - which I doubt will happen, then it won't hurt so much.

Hunt is never going to be happy at the Dragons now and that will affect the other members of the squad immensely. Whether he plays in firsts or reserves he will show that he has the shits and not get too involved in the games which will have a big bearing on the attitude of all of the other players. If the Dragons sits him out of the teams, we will be contravening conditions in his contract.

At the end of the day we will save on not having to pay him the motsa he is getting now enabling us to go into the marketplace and get some top forwards who we desperately need for the future to compliment the better ones we already have and to shoulder the job of defending and attacking raids to get the backs on the go to score tries and to negate the backs having to bend their backs in defence too often.

Hunt has been okay as a player for us. He hasn't been consistently getting us winning regularly over the years though and I know that our lack of player strength has been cause for this as well and he would be frustrated and knows that this wont change in the near future as he is getting older. He obviously would like to win a premiership like all of the players in the comp but I think that winning more games and being in the top 4/8 in the next few years even without winning the comp would see himself being happier.

Hunt has stated that he wants an immediate release and wants to move "back home". We know it isn't family related, otherwise he would have said from the outset that he wanted to move back to Queensland because his wife needs family network nearby desperately or some other family reason and he could have said he would be happy to see out this year at the Dragons if the club releases him from his remaining 2 years. But no, he wants immediate release and we now know why which makes him look a goose for telling porkies all the way through this joke of a mess.

I think the NRL need to make sure that all the processes between all parties have reached an amicable decision one way or the other but they also need to be stern with what has occurred and the clubs circling should be penalised in some way.
You raise some good points David...personally I would let him go because I don't want to see him in my club colours again .But what we need to do is firmly say no to him playing for any other NRL club this season....and Im sure that wouldnt be contravening the terms of his contract.......one of his gripes was the weather wasnt it !....therefore let him go back to Brisbane and sit in the sun everyday till next Feb.

dannyt

Coach
This prick leaves me (almost) speechless. After all his histrionics over the past couple of years, nothing could be more insulting to StGI than for him to transfer to Broncs to play 9. It's so piss weak I'd almost expect that the Broncs wouldn't want to be part of such a deal.

He was a wipe-out at the Broncs before we took him on with a record breaking contract at that time. He's been given everything he wanted by StGI, including his shithouse preferred coach and rat shit old teammates and his preference to play 7 and refusal to play 9. He's delivered virtually nothing of note during his 6 years with us and now that we're close to the bottom of the table, largely due to him and his endless selfish demands IMO, with a dispirited squad which he captains, he wants to simply swap to a team at the top of the table to try to grab a premiership ring.

If this happens and the Broncs win a the premiership in '23 with him at 9 he will be forever remembered as one of the biggest BS artists in the history of the game. His desertion or dishonourable discharge from StGI, coupled with his bludger's ride with the Broncs, will be forever tainted as a disgraceful, gutless piece of shit. He wont even have any rightful claim to his premiership ring. He'll be remembered as the guy that had to bludge the ring rather than actually earn it!

I think he actually thinks he is one of the greatest players ever and he's some sort of victim having to play for a poor quality side. What an absolute deluded grub.
Wow. Fantastic rant! Nailed it.