What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt, Lockyer and Bennett are all the best at what they do.

lockyno1

Post Whore
bowen_1 said:
Bowen > McKinnon > Inglis > Stewart > Hayne > Minichiello > Slater > Hunt.

Yes becuase the rep selectors obviously know nothing right..and how the fugg is Hayne there..the bloke has played two games at FB in first grade! Inglis i'll give you, but I do prefer him in the centres, but Hunt is better than all the rest. Being a fullback is not about scoring tries all the time!

icewind

Juniors
The only reason Thurston hasn't been playing as well is because he's been playing injured. I'm actually relieved for Thurston he's actually been sidelined. Gives him a chance to recover from his injury. Cowboys were never going to win the comp with him in that condition, and even him playing at his best, the Cowboys still need to improve their defence 100fold.

lockyno1

Post Whore
bowen_1 said:
Yep, pretty much.

Bowen is not even close at rep level- Bowen a failure at fullback in rep games, Hunt- almost best on field in most rep games. There you have it.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Lockyer has done nothing at 5/8th. Has not had a decent rep game there yet. Origin this year, who calved up? Thurston... Last year? Thurston... Year before that... Johns... You get the picture.

Will never and has never been the best player in the world.

lockyno1

Post Whore
bluesbreaker said:
Lockyer has done nothing at 5/8th. Has not had a decent rep game there yet. Origin this year, who calved up? Thurston... Last year? Thurston... Year before that... Johns... You get the picture.

Will never and has never been the best player in the world.

Tri Nations Final in England (2004 or 2005), Lockyer singlehandly beat them by halftime..blows your theory.

Knightmare

Coach
Kid Dynamite said:
Knightmare, tonights game confirmed again what most of us including the Australian and Queensland teams already knew. Did you see the game or were watching old Knights games? Did you see the semi final last year? It was good.

:roll: Yes, I was watching a tape from the 2001 game where Joey, in his first game back, helped tear Brisbane a new one 44-0. My point is, it's stupid to say all those players are the best in the game based on one match. I know that in your perfect world, every one of the Broncos 17 is among the best 17 players in the world, but that isn't the case. Even now with Johns gone for good, Lockyer isn't generally regarded as the best player in the game. The majority vote Thurston, and one poor game doesn't suddenly change that.

JJ

Immortal
Lockyer is the game's best player.

Hunt - hmmm, dunno - but the Aust and Qld selectors seem convinced, and they have all the options at their disposal. Shame he won't play for the Kiwis - he'd go well alongside his more illustrious peers Benji and SBW.

Bennett has never been the best coach in the game.

Knightmare

Coach
Kid Dynamite said:
Saying the Qld fullback and Australian fullback is the best in the game. Wow how outlandish.
To suggest the current Australian Captain, Origin Wining Captain and captain of last years premiers is the best in the game. Well I should pull my head in.
But wow I mean to even hint that a coach with 6 premierships, including last years is the best coach, I should calm down. The only bad thing about this thread is I'm stating the obvious. It only has relevance or worth because people are too dumb to understand or unwilling to accept the facts.

So, going by your logic whoever is the incumbent fullback is the best fullback in the game? Would you be saying that if Hunt got injured and was replaced by Mini or Bowen? Sure Uncle Wayne has won 6 premierships, but they've all been at the same team- a team which has been chock-full of stars since day 1. Sure in the game's history he has a great standing, but coaches like Jack Gibson, who turned more than one team into Champions, are generally regarded as the best. And seeing as a players' greatness is measured by how many Grand Finals they won, I guess that means guys like Andrew Ettingshausen and Wayne Pearce were pretty crap, right?

Mr Saab

Referee
Knightmare said:
but coaches like Jack Gibson, who turned more than one team into Champions, are generally regarded as the best. And seeing as a players' greatness is measured by how many Grand Finals they won, I guess that means guys like Andrew Ettingshausen and Wayne Pearce were pretty crap, right?

Couldnt do much with the Sharks or Rabbits.
Every coach will tell you that you need the cattle.
Added to that coaching is not allllllll about Xs and Os. There is alot of man management involved too.

Titanic

First Grade
Why hasn't anybody equated Lockyer's quiet form with his marriage? Seems obvious to me, his priorities have changed. As for Bowen - great club player but a six pack short of a carton compared to Hunt or Inglis or McKinnon. Bennett - his record speaks for itself but it's a pity he can't keep his laconic "humour" to himself (he is in danger of leaving a sour taste when goes instead of the legacy he deserves). As for Petero - fantastic player as is Price and Bailey and Mason and so on but fairdinkum let's not get carried away. Finally, Thurston's been playing busted and Muzza should be shot for that.

Knightmare

Coach
Mr Saab said:
Couldnt do much with the Sharks or Rabbits.
Every coach will tell you that you need the cattle.
Added to that coaching is not allllllll about Xs and Os. There is alot of man management involved too.

Saab, they ARE the Sharks :lol: As for Souths, Jack was only there 1 season (if I remember correctly). I for one was pretty disappointed when Wayne pulled out of the Roosters deal last year. Would have been very interesting to see how they would have gone this year under his coaching.

perverse

Referee
Bennett and Lockyer have my utmost respect. If you think brisbane would have been anywhere near as successful without him you are absolutely kidding yourself. Bennett has MADE champions of many of the brisbane stars over the years, so while yes he's always had great teams.. he is also largely responsible for that.

Lockyer has nothing left to prove in the game. He is an excellent player and is probably the best running around when you take experience, ability and reputation all into account.

Hunt still has much to prove, but is a very good prospect for brisbane in the coming years.. and may well join the long list of excellent players to make their name in brisbane.

honestly, you know other teams are allowed to have champions too right?

Dazzat

First Grade
JJ said:
Lockyer is the game's best player.

Hunt - hmmm, dunno - but the Aust and Qld selectors seem convinced, and they have all the options at their disposal. Shame he won't play for the Kiwis - he'd go well alongside his more illustrious peers Benji and SBW.

Bennett has never been the best coach in the game.[/quote]

I'm reminded of an episode of Happy Days. The one where Fonzie tries to say sorry - "soooorrrrrrr ....." He just couldn't get the words out.

You can win more premierships than any other coach, coach a literal herd of players from juniors through to senior representative honours and they still don't get it.

"Beeennnneeeeettttttt iiiissssss the bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ...."

salivor

First Grade
Thank you perverse. It's nice to see a Knights fan that doesn't have to denigrate true champions of the game to build up their own champion player. Johns' record speaks for itself and his legacy already does and will recognise this. This petty rubbish from a select section of Knights fans isn't needed and only reflects poorly on them, not Lockyer.

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse said:
Bennett and Lockyer have my utmost respect. If you think brisbane would have been anywhere near as successful without him you are absolutely kidding yourself. Bennett has MADE champions of many of the brisbane stars over the years, so while yes he's always had great teams.. he is also largely responsible for that.

Thats right.
Whilst Wayne started off with the stars in Wally, Miles, Dowling, Langer and a few others, he also has been there to CREATE new stars.
Sure, the Lockyers, Webckes, Sailors, Lotes, Peteros might have been star players at age 16, but many a "star" kid has gone onto do nothing because he didnt have the right coaching around him. Look at Craigie. Superstar kid, but his career went to waste as he didnt have a coach to guide him thru. Sure, Wayne has not been successful with some players like ONeill, Seymour and Costigan, but no coach is perfect.

salivor

First Grade
Further to that. I find it funny that the same people that state that Bennett had his premierships gifted by star studded lineups will be the first to complain when these "stars" get picked for Australia and the first to that too many of these "stars" make the Queensland side purely because of the club they play for.

perverse

Referee
salivor said:
Thank you perverse. It's nice to see a Knights fan that doesn't have to denigrate true champions of the game to build up their own champion player. Johns' record speaks for itself and his legacy already does and will recognise this. This petty rubbish from a select section of Knights fans isn't needed and only reflects poorly on them, not Lockyer.
it just gets so old reading the same agenda-ridden crap over and over again.. particularly regarding johns and lockyer. i feel so privelidged to have watched both of them play. of course i have a biased soft spot for joey, but that doesn't mean i haven't sat back on occasion and really appreciated lockyers effect on games he plays.

-edit- and Saab - i know exactly what you mean. the knights are great at churning out talented youngsters only to have them never live up to their potential.

JJ

Immortal
Dazzat said:
"Beeennnneeeeettttttt iiiissssss the bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ...."

No matter how hard some of us try to say it, we just can't :lol: :lol:

Latest posts