What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt or McCullough?

Big Pete

Referee
Who do you think deserves the starting spot?

I'm in favour of Andrew at this stage. Hunt's taken me by surprise in the hooker position where he looks like first grade material but I see Andrew as the long term option and a better all-round player.

However it is a hot topic over the traps and I'd love to get your opinions on the matter.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Where are the traps?

I prefer Hunt as he doesn't over play his hand and provides better service from dummy half. McCullough holds on to the ball a bit longer and puts pressure on his runners. McCullough in my opinion can also be guilty of taken the wrong option over playing his hand when he should be getting the ball to Lockyer or Wallace.

Both are good young players, I lean slightly to Hunt.

AuDragon

Juniors
At this point, I would still lean towards McCullough because he is a better defender and has a better work ethic. However, Hunt is more creative, faster and definitely gives better service to his halves and ball runners. Both have a good kicking game, with a slight advantage to Hunt.

They're both still young and whoever progresses better and faster will eventually get the spot.

I think that if Hunt get his mentality and work ethic right, he will get it hands down, because he has more natural ability and the hooker position isn't about size, as guys like Nathan Friend demonstrate week in, week out...

screeder

Juniors
I still like Macca and i guess this issue has come up because he's slightly out of form at the moment. However BH impresses me in the position. His defence is better than i thought it would be but still behind Macca.

Attack wise both give good service and have loads of potential in taking the ball to the line but Macca seems to have more robustness which would make him more effective. Still see Macca as the long term option at hooker while BH is proving his versatility and will be just as important to the team in the future as a half or utility if no room at half.

DeeJ

Bench
I think we have the right combination with them alternation at the moment. Macca to do the hard stuff early in the game with his great defence, and Hunt coming on later to spark some attack.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Macca for me he works his but off in defense, hunt needs to improve his workload if he wants a first team spot week in week out. However i still see Hunts best position to be a halfback. And i read something in the paper this morning about Parramatta making a possible move for wallace next year. So maybe we coeuld keep both and have hunt at half and macca at hooker. In my opinion Ivan is blooding the next group of players, with Hunt, and Norman set to be the future halves both getting game time this year and will get it next year also. We could be reaping the rewards in a couple of years time

beads6

First Grade
Macca is better defensively and busts his nut but struggles with his slow service. Hunt is better on attack IMO, he adds more with his kicking game and shows more footy smarts IMO. Hunt is doing much better at this stage of his development as a hooker compared to Macca. Both are potentially future stars of the game. I like having both in the team at the moment.

jarro

Juniors
I prefer Hunt at the moment.

Everything he does is a little quicker and crisper.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Definitely Hunt for me. I've been pretty disappointed with Macca this year. Do we still believe that he is a future star? Sure he can tackle but he seems too slow to me.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Cameron smith isn't particularly fast. I think Macca will turn out to be a similar type of player to Cameron but i don't think he will ever be as good. But i still think he should be the starting hooker and have hunt coming off the bench.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hunt hasn't done that well at half for the NRL side and is doing much better at hooker.

You're right though Wallace is not in great form. Although he wasn't trying to do it all himself last weekend and got little help from Norman imo (although I read he a had a bout of the flu).

Lycon79

Juniors
McCullough is a better hooker
Hunt is in better form ATM
So I'd give the run on spot to Hunt for a game or two just to kick McCullough in the pants and get him going both have a future at the Broncs IMO

LoganRL1988

Juniors
McCullough is better when he plays his best but seems to be down on form since he has come back from injury, so at the moment I would be going with hunt.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd be dropping McCullough, as he is as average as they come, a modern day John Morris. Give it to Hunt as unlike the useless one, he passes the ball!