What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt pleading for time

FlameThrower

Bench
I am all for giving the man a go ,but I tell you what he needs to start jabbing his finger at the players who are not doing their jobs , truly voicing his disgust at them for some lazy half-hearted defense.

And when those same lazy sods start to mope around the goalposts with their heads hanging down to their bootlaces after a try has been put on them , blast the living crap out of them .

It does not matter whom the captain is , Benny or the fella wearing the yellow boots , they have an obligation to get the best from their teammates whilst on the field - the coach cannot do this , only the captain.

So I do sincerely wish Benny all the best , but he has a damn tough task ahead of him .
He’s not the man for the job .. matter fact we have nobody on the field who even remotely looks and acts like a leader ...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He’s not the man for the job .. matter fact we have nobody on the field who even remotely looks and acts like a leader ...
Lomax looks the part to me but he's too young. He's got plenty of go about him and is always trying to change the game even at the difficult to influence the game position of right centre. Sims is another I could see going to another level if he was captain. I get the feeling captaincy will give Hunt pressure he just doesn't need. Where someone like Sims it will probably push him to be more aggressive. An aggressive Sims will go a long way to us winning games as long as he can tread that line.

FlameThrower

Bench
Lomax looks the part to me but he's too young. He's got plenty of go about him and is always trying to change the game even at the difficult to influence the game position of right centre. Sims is another I could see going to another level if he was captain. I get the feeling captaincy will give Hunt pressure he just doesn't need. Where someone like Sims it will probably push him to be more aggressive. An aggressive Sims will go a long way to us winning games as long as he can tread that line.
Agreed - Hunt will not cope with the pressure, we string a few losses in a row. Media will be on him at Press Conference and prematch interviews. I can see it ending in tears. He barely speaks on the field and our guys are world champs at staring at the grass behind the goal posts. Sims unfortunately is out injured or suspended most of the time . I thought 2020 was a shocker but I have no expectations of any great improvement this year. The attitude from the players is still terrible and “ the new guy” is part of the problem.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agreed - Hunt will not cope with the pressure, we string a few losses in a row. Media will be on him at Press Conference and prematch interviews. I can see it ending in tears. He barely speaks on the field and our guys are world champs at staring at the grass behind the goal posts. Sims unfortunately is out injured or suspended most of the time . I thought 2020 was a shocker but I have no expectations of any great improvement this year. The attitude from the players is still terrible and “ the new guy” is part of the problem.
The worst thing for me is that one of our strongest areas is halves depth. I believe giving him the captaincy is basically saying to him and the guys nipping at his heels, that he is locked into the 7 jersey regardless of performance for the foreseeable future. Maybe Hook just thinks that it has nothing to do with captaincy itself but feels Hunt needs that job security to focus purely on playing his role at 7. Who knows, all I can say is that, this is the decision and we have no choice but to hope it is a masterstroke.

Belta

Juniors
I can remember a time when a team played really poorly one week, we’re obviously blasted by fellow coaches and players, and more often than not turned that performance around with a win the following week. Hopefully that’s what happens with us v the Sharks. I’m not confident though. That crap they dished up was next level crap and I sense the personalities of modern day players reflect people in our times. It doesn’t seem to matter if they misbehave off the field or under perform on the field. Many appear to be self entitled precious twats that are incapable of excepting criticism. For that latest performance no captain should make any comment about fans are being savage, the mindset should be I never want to feel that embarrassed again I’d rather give the game away than turn out sh#* like that again. I’ll give them the benefit of doubt for now but if these twats cant learn the basics like numbering up in defence I’ll be one of those savage fans.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Pleading for time...hes kidding surely....weve been waiting fo years....Im pleading for the time when Mr Hunt aims up grabs the game by the the scruff of the neck and starts earning the money hes being paid.....quite frankly at my age time is something i dont have a lot of
BSE you and I have the same issue re time and we need results asap.

To that end I think making Hunt (c) will get us the quickest result possible in respect of resolving his time at the club.

By giving him the keys to the city he either unlocks the gates and sets the team free and we improve by looking outside the very limited box we have been in for so long or he fails miserably and the team is completely overrun and becomes an even worse rabble.

The late no so great coach Mc Fookknuckle painted the gym and at the same time painted the team into a very small corner and looking at those in that corner it is very lacklustre and threadbare re leadership aspirants.

Make or break time for Hunt and if he makes it fantastic and if he doesn't it could very well end his time at the club rather than having to endure the full length of his contract.

I'm not a great fan of Hunt but I do believe this is the best scenario for him and the club and I hope he makes a good fist of it and if not then good luck in England.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes Flame Thrower , I must agree with you , there are only 2 players that I would had seriously considered for the job - either McCullough or Lomax . Mac has the experience behind him to do the job , whereas Lomax will be there for another 4 (?) seasons however it would be better if it was a forward who was barking the orders.

But the decision has been made by Griffin and so the players must get behind Benny and do the right the thing by playing good footy . Doubtless the man will be under enormous pressure so it will either make him or break him , I do sincerely hope it is the former.

Crush

Coach
Yeah, nah.
Sorry Ben, I’m not going to be patient this year.
I used up all my patience.
You’ve got a new head coach, 2 new assistant coaches all with a bunch of experience.
You’ve been at the club for 4 years now, time to play like an elite halfback.
I’ll be patient with the new kids, I won’t be patient with Hunt, Norman, Vaughan, Sims, McCulloch, Lomax, Dufty, Pereria, Ravalawa, Lawrie. These blokes better be defending like NRL players from round 1.

Maddragon99

Juniors
St George Illawarra’s multimillion-dollar skipper Ben Hunt has pleaded with passionate Red V fans to wait at least a month before launching a fresh attack on the perennial underachievers.

While Hunt is clinging to faint hope Corey Norman escapes an NRL-imposed one-match ban for his Cronulla street fight and is free to partner him in the halves for next weekend’s opener against Cronulla, he also knows patience will be required from supporters.

7265a6e3f5b28046e77f0e8f336178e518fd13f8

Did you hear the one about the Dragons collecting the spoon? Ben Hunt with Daly Cherry-Evans and Clint GuthersonCREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Dragons fans were fuming after the 48-16 Charity Shield blowout, with plenty in the game expecting new coach Anthony Griffin to collect the wooden spoon.

They have made the finals just twice in the past nine years.

Hunt described the club’s fans as much more savage than the Broncos supporters he once played for, and a group who had at least something to cheer in terms of finals appearances over the past decade.

“You saw how we went last year, then we come to our first semi-serious game [last weekend] and we dished that up, so I can totally understand what the fans are looking at,” Hunt said.
“I think we got some big lessons out of that game.

“But give us a couple of months. We have a new coach, new staff and new players. We’re changing how we defend. It’s going to take time.
“After five or six rounds if we’re still throwing that up, then fly into us.

“The [Dragons fans] are pretty savage at times. We had a fair bit of success at the Broncos so there probably wasn’t as much of a chance for the fans to pile on and really get into us.

“Down here we have had some bad years and the fans have stepped it up a notch.

“I’m new to the club and we haven’t done anything at this club since 2010. It’s been a while since we’ve had some success. The fans are getting a bit riled up.”

i think he is right and this gives me some hope that they are actually working on things that obviously will get worse before they get better. Mind you if things go pearshaped i wouldn't like to be in his shoes!
Reading that article it’s almost an acceptance that we’ll be getting off to a slow start. Didn’t Exactly fill me with confidence with Hunt as captain

Maddragon99

Juniors
Same here!
Squad is short a quality Lock & second rower, everybody knows it so why no effort was made to fix the situation is beyond me. It’s going to be a tough year for Hook to get us competitive with the group of players he has to work with. Only hope is that de Belin is able to return & can make an impact.

Can’t wait for Tuesday to see what team Hook picks & Sunday to see how we aim up when 2 points are on the line.

possm

Coach
Squad is short a quality Lock & second rower, everybody knows it so why no effort was made to fix the situation is beyond me. It’s going to be a tough year for Hook to get us competitive with the group of players he has to work with. Only hope is that de Belin is able to return & can make an impact.

Can’t wait for Tuesday to see what team Hook picks & Sunday to see how we aim up when 2 points are on the line.
Also, if Max Feagai comes good, it will allow Bird to play in the at 12. However, we would still be short a top line prop to partner Vaughan in the run-on 13.

All of a sudden the top 17 would look so much better:
Fullback - Ramsey
Left Wing - Matt Feagai
Left Centre - Max Feagai
Right Centre - Lomax
Right Wing - Ravalawa
Five-eighth - Sullivan
Halfback - Hunt
Right Prop - New signing
Hooker - McCullough
Left Prop - Vaughan
Left Edge - Sims
Right Edge - Bird
Lock - De Belin

Bench
Alvaro
Kerr
Lawrie
Faamausili

Even with our forward pack beefed up with the inclusion of De Belin, a new top grade prop and Bird on the right edge, we will still need 4 forwards on the bench on a rotation system that keeps the pack fresh and competitive.

Bird can fill most backline positions so, if injury or bad form hits a backline position, he could move directly to that position causing the least disruption. Maybe in the case of a winger becoming injured, Bird could move to left centre releasing Max Feagai to move to the wing.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Also, if Max Feagai comes good, it will allow Bird to play in the at 12. However, we would still be short a top line prop to partner Vaughan in the run-on 13.

All of a sudden the top 17 would look so much better:
Fullback - Ramsey
Left Wing - Matt Feagai
Left Centre - Max Feagai
Right Centre - Lomax
Right Wing - Ravalawa
Five-eighth - Sullivan
Halfback - Hunt
Right Prop - New signing
Hooker - McCullough
Left Prop - Vaughan
Left Edge - Sims
Right Edge - Bird
Lock - De Belin

Bench
Alvaro
Kerr
Lawrie
Faamausili

Even with our forward pack beefed up with the inclusion of De Belin, a new top grade prop and Bird on the right edge, we will still need 4 forwards on the bench on a rotation system that keeps the pack fresh and competitive.

Bird can fill most backline positions so, if injury or bad form hits a backline position, he could move directly to that position causing the least disruption. Maybe in the case of a winger becoming injured, Bird could move to left centre releasing Max Feagai to move to the wing.
The other issue is McCullough, we’re depending on him having an injury free year. What’s the back up? Hunt to 9 & Clune at 7?

possm

Coach
The other issue is McCullough, we’re depending on him having an injury free year. What’s the back up? Hunt to 9 & Clune at 7?
Once he is eligible to play first grade, I thind that Wishart will jump the que to be our long term hooker. Like with many of our youngsters, he will need to improve his defence first.