What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt to AFL???!?!!

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I think the AFL have shot themselves in the foot.

They must believe this will attract RL supporters and in my case it is exactly the opposite. There credibility just smashed into 0, if a half kiwi inbred can walk into there sport with little to no background, it shows me how little skill is involved in the game.

Agree with you.

The question is though, will the NRL spin doctors (if there is even any) push this angle to the general public to counter the AFL spin doctors angle on this story.

Slackboy72

Coach
I was more specifically thinking of juniors. I know the storm and Swans and Lions would be looking to some degree but would an AFL club think about luring a quality 'athlete' from Toyota Cup? Would an NRL club look at the VFL or NSW/ACTAFL?

murraymob

Coach
the big thing that will stop it is they have a draft.
The Gold Coast are getting exemptions early to sign who they want other clubs do not have these .Example the swans do not but the new west sydney thing will.After 3 years those exemptions will go.Meaning its a lottery where they might end up

bobmar28

Bench
I can understand from Hunts perspective that he wants to play in genuine national comp..NRL is only the eastern seaboard of Australia and a little bit of NZ.
He has played Tests and Origin, the pinnacle of league, he has won comps, he figures at his age he could be a top line AFL player.

AFL will market him to the league juniors now, they know league juniors can run and catch and tackle, they can teach the to kick a sherrin..with more money than league it means more players heading to AFL rather than league.

AFL have always been more professional than their league counterparts in admin and marketing.

Next thing is their western Sydney franchise targetting young legaue players to supplement their young FAL players..they are being more pro cative than the NRL vegies will ever be!

Talk about wishful thinking.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
If he can catch and punt a football then he will succeed. AFL doesn't require much more skill.

If he somehow doesn't perform his worth, then you see the angle that RL players aren't skilled or they will sack him ARU/Tiquiri style blaming an offield incident to drag Rugby League down again.

In the end i see politics being Hunts lifeline or death.

Yeah, he was a gun apparently, didn't actually play for the Reds first grade but still a gun...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Barich

Further to that..

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...w-code-switcher/2009/07/29/1248546761713.html

League star Karmichael Hunt will struggle in his transition to the AFL, says fellow code switcher Adrian Barich.
The only man to have played Australian Football and Rugby League at the elite level says League star Karmichael Hunt will not make the Aussie Rules cut.

Elite level?

Games played for the Reds; 0.

I think he may be right but jeez, talk yourself up..

bulldog

Bench
"I'm not sure what his kicking is like, but I would suggest that coming into the game he would be the worst kick in the AFL.
"He's a great athlete, but when he comes over he'll have the worst kicking, the worst overhead marking of any AFL player, and he doesn't know how to handball."

From the sam article EA posted http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...w-code-switcher/2009/07/29/1248546761713.html

So this nuffy who played a handful of boggerball matches and no 1st grade league say Hunt will be the worst at everything, maybe he missed Dildodio getting spanked by a RL player and a cricketer in an AFL kicking challenge.

El Diablo

Post Whore
:lol:

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/we-are-coming-for-you-harvey-warns-nrl-20090729-e123.html?page=-1

We are coming for you: Harvey warns NRL

* Tim Clarke
* July 29, 2009 - 12:23PM

Dockers coach Mark Harvey has warned the NRL the amazing coup by the new Gold Coast club to tempt Karmichael Hunt to switch codes is the next step in the continuing battle for supremacy among Australia's footballing codes.

Both Rugby League and AFL were stunned today when the Gold Coast announced they had tempted the Brisbane Broncos fullback ahead of their introduction into the national competition in 2011.

Harvey agreed with AFL boss Andrew Demetriou that the move was a "fantastic coup" for his sport, and predicted other clubs - including his own - may now start to look to the league and union competitions for potential recruits.

"I think it is fantastic coup for the game, and the promotion of the game in that state," Harvey said

"Whether he can play or not I have no idea ... but provided he can play I think it is great testament to be able to attract those players from other sports to our game, a real compliment to our game

"I think (he could succeed) - he could be in the forward line pressuring the opposition. But it has got to go beyond that to his skill level.

"I guess he has been through a lot of tactics in rugby league, so I don’t think tactics will be a problem - it is juts how he reads the game.

"I think we have tended to look at younger guys who have played those sports and concentrated on them, rather than the guys who have established themselves.

"It will be an interesting process, and there might be more to come."

Harvey said his club would consider a similar move, and pointed out that some great players of the past and present had backgrounds in both codes.

"If you have a look at a guy like (Dean) Solomon, he grew up in Broken Hill and he grew up playing both. When I was at Essendon, Dean Rioli, he played both rugby and football," Harvey said.

"They are built for it - but I think our game is a lot more difficult to understand than their game.

"All codes are taking each other on, you only need to look where we are establishing our new clubs - we need to do that if we want to maintain our spot as the number one sport in the nation.

"And it shows we are attracting people from far and wide."

Hunt was welcomed into the AFL fold by Demetriou today, with the AFL boss saying there had been extensive consultation with the game's powerbrokers - including Nathan Buckley - as to whether Hunt could make the switch

"I think this is an exciting day for the Gold Coast Football Club and also for the AFL to have such a talented sportsman who has achieved so much in his own sport wanting to take up the challenge to play for a new club in the AFL,” Mr Demetriou said.

"We think he can make an impact as a player and also in developing the game in Queensland at community level."

Mr Demetriou said he had met Hunt and his girlfriend Emma and had been impressed by his enthusiasm for playing AFL

"He is a proud Queenslander and the unique opportunity to stay in Queensland and play sport at the elite level, while also being a part of building a new national club on the Gold Coast was a big part of his decision,” he said.

As part of the arrangement, Hunt will work for the AFL and AFL Queensland in development and promotional roles for three years. He will join the club mid-way through next year after playing a season of rugby.

Meanwhile, Harvey ruled out Bryon Schammer and cast serious doubt on Brett Peake during a training session at East Fremantle Oval today, which included a shortened ground to replicate the dimensions of Etihad Stadium.

But he confirmed Des Headland and forgotten young gun Chris Mayne were fit to play.

Mayne, who played a big role in his first year but none in his second after a serious problem with shin splints, is in line for his first game against 2009.

"I think everyone has forgotten about Mayne, and I thought he had as much impact, or certainly not far behind, Rhys (Palmer) last year," Harvey said.

"We think he is going to be a really good player long term for us."

Tex_21

Juniors
Mark Harvey is a dead set muppet-if any NRL/RU players are targetetd, they shouldn't be until we know if K.Hunt can play at all.

hhahahahahahahah

"but I think our game is a lot more difficult to understand than their game."

maryport_harbour_anne_lee_01_470x352.jpg

"He is a proud Queenslander"

:lol:

Kiki

First Grade
Hahahahah oh man. They are such delusional tools.

If he does well it shows how crap their game really is. Much like how barely passable first graders in league end up playing for the wallabies.

The whole thing smacks of insecurity. Like a guy who works out heaps and talks himself up to compensate for his small dick.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can't we talk up our game like this? When was the last time you saw a media article featuring Gallop talking up the game? For all AFL's delusions, as a no nothing member of the public you get the message rammed down your throat that they are the vibrant code, expanding across the country as the number one Australian sport. It might be propoganda but if one thing history teaches us is that people are gullible and feed them enough BS and they will beleive it. Oh for an NRL media department!

feeding frenzy

Juniors
Hahahahah oh man. They are such delusional tools.

If he does well it shows how crap their game really is. Much like how barely passable first graders in league end up playing for the wallabies.

The whole thing smacks of insecurity. Like a guy who works out heaps and talks himself up to compensate for his small dick.

How do you know he has a small dick?

Edwahu

Bench
FMD just because the depth of play in League doesnt stare them in the face, these tools assume its simple. I'm sick of that crap line. I would like to see them explain half of what is actually going on in a single hitup.

Latest posts