What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt to AFL???!?!!

Dragon

Coach
"I think it is fantastic coup for the game, and the promotion of the game in that state," Harvey said....

"Whether he can play or not I have no idea ...

LOL yeah great coup.

benj4

Juniors
Don't really care anymore...f**k off cutie.

It give Dell's cousin his shot now..who is a gun.

maple_69

Bench
Maybe he could take some of our old school Rugby League code tarnishing behaviour with him. If the media hook onto it the AFL won't cope as well as Rugby League seems to (in no part thanks to the admins handling of controversies..)

shiznit

Coach
i can already see the hysteria on the footy show this week...

i dont know what the AFL think there doing talking about a code war with RL & RU... if players start cross between the codes they will find out what happens when there own players start to realize the amount of money they can earn in RU and ESL.

thats the other thing too... what if cutie becomes a success in AFL... its not going to look good when they lose him to a French RU club who pays double what even AFL players get... and then his team mates will start to whore themselves out in the media as RL players do...

this is a slippery slope for the AFL...

Chook Norris

First Grade
very very disappointed in the cutie for this.. not because he is dogging Brizzy, QLD and Australia.. but he is assisting that other f*kn code

i hope he succeeds and owns fumbleball.. but i don't want him back tbh

i've always found that he's been an overrated player anyway [despite what his remu may suggest] .. without lockyer and the broncs set plays, he's done nothing tbh...

JW

Coach
A good point made earlier was that everyone will have 18 months to forget about him and for any effect/curiosity that this may have to wash away.

Most won't even contemplate raising an eyebrow by the time Formichael has his first gobby in the Cararra boggers.

When it counts, this will end up having less sting than Ryan Cross switching to Union.

ibeme

First Grade
"We are coming for you, Harvey warns"

Way to endear the supporters they need to win over. Rugby Union tried the same tactic and look where they've ended up as a result.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's the beginning of the end for AFL. Can't wait for the shock when the next TV rights deal doesn't deliver them the amount they though it would, with WS and GC coming on board to suck the code dry.

PS You can have Daniel Holdsworth for your West Sydney team. Get in quick AFL!

El Diablo

Post Whore
who was the Victorian that wrote this tripe? lol

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/hunt-switch-grim-omen-league-2879750

Hunt switch grim omen for League

Published: 5:41PM Wednesday July 29, 2009

Source: AAP

In years to come, Karmichael Hunt's departure to the AFL may be viewed as the straw that broke rugby league's back.

Or, more specifically, the beginning of the end for rugby league's high billing among the mainstream football codes in Australia.

Rugby league, as it has for 100 years, will survive but it faces one hell of a battle keeping pace with Australian Rules and soccer in this country.

Although Hunt was already seemingly lost to rugby league, most thought the talented 22-year-old's future lay in rugby union.

It may well - but only temporarily - with the Gold Coast AFL franchise saying they won't stand in Hunt's way if he opts to make a big-money cameo in Japan or Europe before joining them next May.

The bottom line, though, is Hunt's unprecedented move to the AFL - regardless how he eventually fares after the club debuts in 2011 - has sent shockwaves through the rugby league community.

As Manly's premiership-winning coach Des Hasler said on Wednesday, it is "gloves off".

"It's a real battle of the codes," Hasler said.

A battle rugby league is fast losing - and on many fronts.

Already reeling from no end of off-field scandals and international raids from cashed-up rugby union clubs and Super League clubs, the NRL now finds itself under fresh attack in an unexpected way.

You can bet AFL clubs, encouraged by Hunt's trailblazing move, will already be drawing up a wish list of other NRL players who could potentially make a successful code switch.

Superstars Greg Inglis, Jarryd Hayne, Billy Slater and Israel Folau - who can soar with the best of them - would be on top of the shopping lists.

And don't for a minute think NRL player agents across the country won't have taken notice.

They'll be rubbing their hands together at another avenue to explore as they seek to up the values of their charges.

Loyalty is already dead remember.

But the player raids are only a small part of rugby league's problems.

Fast forward two years when Football Federation Australia has an A-League soccer side in Sydney's west and their neighbours will be a second AFL team in the Harbour City.

The Socceroos will have featured in their second successive World Cup and the AFL will have an even greater foothold in Australia's rugby league heartland.

For decades, soccer has enjoyed the highest participation rate of players at junior level, before losing many young teenagers to rugby league or union because that was the cool, manly game to play.

Now, with the huge influx of bigger, stronger and faster Pacific Islanders in rugby league, many parents fear for their children's welfare in the 13-a-side code and there's a real question mark over which sporting direction kids will take.

Cashed up Australian Rules has been working hard to win kids' hearts and minds in traditional league heartland.

It all points to the next generation of Australian sports stars being unlikely to talk of modern-day league legends like Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler and Laurie Daley.

It's more likely kids all around Australia will be dreaming of being the next Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell, Buddy Franklin, Brendan Fevola or Karmichael Hunt.

Karmichael Hunt the AFL star, that is.

adamkungl

Immortal
one of the most ludicrous articles i've ever read, and i read most of the AFL tripe that gets posted in TFC

shiznit

Coach
what the article fails to point out is that if cutie's switch to AFL is a success... what does that tell young up and coming kids??

if you play RL you have 3 pathways to a professional sport's contract... if you play Aussie Rules you have one...

and like i stated earlier... you wait until there own players start to figure out they can earn double the money overseas and actually get genuine international acclaim.

Flapper

First Grade
i can already see the hysteria on the footy show this week...

i dont know what the AFL think there doing talking about a code war with RL & RU... if players start cross between the codes they will find out what happens when there own players start to realize the amount of money they can earn in RU and ESL.

thats the other thing too... what if cutie becomes a success in AFL... its not going to look good when they lose him to a French RU club who pays double what even AFL players get... and then his team mates will start to whore themselves out in the media as RL players do...

this is a slippery slope for the AFL...

Precisely, if they can see the codes skills can be interchangeable, they'll be taking a mill a year in Japan or France instead of staying in Oz in either sport.

So cutie wants to play AFL, good for him. it won't change anything, and it especially won't start a goddamn code war.

Funny all the "code war" talk is only one way traffic. If it happens one way, it'll eventually happen the other way with an AFL player jumping ship.

Lambretta

First Grade
Umm no it wouldn't I imagine it would be seen as a very risky and desperate move.

besides i dont think there is a top line AFL player who could make the transition to league and become a first grader.

Maybe someone like Johnathan Brown could get a game in the backrow, but it would still take even an elite athlete such as him, one of the AFL's best, at least two years to learn the very specific skills and structure of League.

Paul Kelly the ex Sydney Swans captain would have made an excellent dummy half / hooker in league and may even have made the transition into the halves. (Kelly was from Wagga and played league until he was 14. He also played AFL like a league player because he ran through opponents - packs and packs of em at the same time).

In fact - based on the success of Paul Kelly I'm amazed AFL hasnt recruited League players more keenly. Look at Keiren Jack at the Swans. He has pretty decent league heritage through his genes.

There are a few other AFL players that could play on the wings etc - where all they have to do is hang around and look pretty and occasionally put the ball over the line :p

/me ducks for cover

Ashman

Juniors
Is it true that Hunt is going to Jap Rugby at the end of the year anyhow? Therefore he will be Union convert to AFL not from League!

He was as loyal to New Zealand as he was to League. Whats next for him Sydney FC.

Kiki

First Grade
btw theres no way an AFL player could ever play in the NRL. one tackle and they would limp off crying.

Latest posts