What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical blame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Frick that, I would be doing everything within the rules to put out of play the oppositions cheif playmaker. Note I said "within the rules"! No Lockyer, no win imo. I'd be hitting him with everything bar the kitchen sink (legally)

woodyk2

First Grade
But dont teams normally rest players after a significant head knock? As required by NRL guidelines?

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez Brisbane are pushing him though. Griffin was adamant he was going to play. It's almost like they have given up hope without him, which is a massive slap in the face of the rest of the team. Especially consiering with Thaiday back they will have their 2012 side on show.

Imagine what it would do for those players if they beat Manly without Heather.

Perth Red

Post Whore
if i were the Broncos, i'd be getting him to sign some sort of waiver. i hope for his sake that he doesn't get more hurt than he is this weekend.

if something happens, it's Lockys fault and his alone, imo (without knowing what sort of pressures are going on behind the scenes, that is). if it's his call and no-one elses, what happens out on the field is his own responsibility and no-one elses.

you can;t waiver away your duty of care to an employee!

Lets say worse case scenario he plays despite his surgeon saying no and if the Broncos medical team did not do a thorough assessment and signed him fit for work, he loses an eye, he is well within his rights to sue the Broncos (not the Manly player unless it was an illegal act) for his injury and failure of duty of care. Benn through it a couple of times with my own staff and back injuries.

Lego_Man

First Grade
He actually looked pretty good, though it can take a bit for the swelling to really come up.

Whack a facemask on him for the lolz and he'll be right.

Hard bastard though, fronting up for training after a decent old op under general anaesthetic. That usually knocks you around too.

He will be a protected species on Friday night though...

perverse

Referee
you can;t waiver away your duty of care to an employee!

Lets say worse case scenario he plays despite his surgeon saying no and if the Broncos medical team did not do a thorough assessment and signed him fit for work, he loses an eye, he is well within his rights to sue the Broncos (not the Manly player unless it was an illegal act) for his injury and failure of duty of care. Benn through it a couple of times with my own staff and back injuries.
you're probably right, i'm certainly not a lawyer. Broncos will have to be very trusting.

dogslife

Coach
If a Manly player deliberately goes after him with an illegal hit, the obvious question remains, how many weeks should Ryles get?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i blame the dragons.

if they hadn't choked, we wouldn't even be having this debate..

oval

Juniors
I know he's a tough old bugger, but surely if he does play he will not be as effective as usual. Manly players will be rushing up and getting in his face (not literally I hope) and trying to unsettle him... I dunno, I'm surprised that he and the club are letting him play if the injury is really that serious. All it takes is for him to stumble onto a stray knee or arm or whatever and his face will implode... Behave yourself Mr Matai.

firechild

First Grade
He said the decision was his and any criticism of the decision should be aimed at him. Nowhere did he say that he takes responsibility for what may happen next.

hrundi99

First Grade
If a Manly player hits him in a good solid tackle that happens to affect his cheek (accidental impact with shoulder, hitting the ground, etc.) and Manly win then I can see Manly's presence in the GF being tarnished, which would be a shame really. It's not their fault he's playing when he shouldn't be.

perverse

Referee
If a Manly player hits him in a good solid tackle that happens to affect his cheek (accidental impact with shoulder, hitting the ground, etc.) and Manly win then I can see Manly's presence in the GF being tarnished, which would be a shame really. It's not their fault he's playing when he shouldn't be.
definitely disagree. Manly can only play what the Broncos put in front of them.