What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I call for a whinge free day.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yep! that's right..

As a tribute to Billy who played more than 200 games for our club with more than 50 years service, let's stop, rememember what a great man he was instead of carrying on about who we have or haven't signed for next year.

I would also like to encourage Parra Pete, Crazyeel or anyone else who may of seen Billy play to give share some stories about the great man on and off the field.

what do you think?

ParraAds

Juniors
What's there to whinge about anyway?? we all support the greatest sporting club in the world....

Nickeel

Juniors
You and your bloody 'whinge free day,' Eela... that's so typical... :lol:

No, I agree. For Billy, and also as we wind down to our most important game of the season so far (which it will be pretty much every weekend from now on :D ) we should focus on him and stories of what makes this club so amazing.

I will try to think of some. :lol:

Nick

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nickeel said:
You and your bloody 'whinge free day,' Eela... that's so typical... :lol:

No, I agree. For Billy, and also as we wind down to our most important game of the season so far (which it will be pretty much every weekend from now on :D ) we should focus on him and stories of what makes this club so amazing.

I will try to think of some. :lol:

Nick

you would of known him personaly Nick??

Nickeel

Juniors
eelavation said:
you would of known him personaly Nick??

Only a little bit, through my grandpa. They were pretty fast friends and saw each other regularly. Obviously never saw him play.

When I met him he struck me as one of those stoic characters, sometimes one of few words but with a good, dry sense of humour. He was most welcoming to a mad keen young Eels fan who wanted to firm his bonds to the club. Very warm and friendly. Races going on constantly in the background, TAB slips spread neatly across the table (gee, wonder why he and grandpa got along so well :lol: ).

Would love to hear more about Bill Rayner, the player. I'm just glad I got to meet him.

Nick

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Hopefully all this warmth and fuzziness will result in good karma for the team on Sunday. Billy will be definately watching over the team from his lounge in the sky.

Do it for Billy, guys

parra pete

Referee
Angry_eel said:
i agree. wow, parra pete is ancient.

:lol: :lol: ...I am, what is commonly known as, an "Old Goat"....

Billy was "Bridge Builder"..one of those blokes who dug the well of success the current crop of players and supporters we are now drinking at.
"I had three broken ribs and two black eyes. Stop Rayner from hooking and we'll win this match for sure. That's what they were saying.
"Well they didn't stop me. Broken ribs, black eyes and all, I kept playing and won the next thirteen scrums staight. I knew I had them beaten by just stopping on the field. They couldn't afford to knock me about anymore because the referee had the whole Western Suburbs pack tabbed." Bill Rayner, Parramatta's 'iron man' with an unbroken run of 159 First grade matches, was describing his most dramatic moment in Rugby League.
"I was in agony", Bill said.
"I got hurt early in the first half and don't remember much about the play. But I do remember saying to myself Bill 'stop on, that's why you got hit, to get you off." The match was against Wests in 1963 at Pratten Park. Billy joined Parra from Yass in 1956.
"Jack Scullin approached me after I'd played for Southern Division against France in 1954 and later when I'd played for Monaro against Great Britain in 1955.
"It was my ambition to play Sydney football so I didn't hesitate to accept Parramatta's terms.
Billy didn't take long in making an impression.
He represented City Seconds in 1957 and 1958 City Firsts in 1959 and Australia against France in 1960. This paved the way for World Cup selection in 1960.
Selection in this touring team was the biggest thrill of Bill's career.
"We'd played an interstate match against Queensland in Brisbane at the time.
"The team was announced about an hour after that match. I couln't believe I'd made it. I was ahead of great hookers such as Ian Walsh, Noel Kelly and Bed Goff."
Testimony to Bill's durability is his playing 201 first and 21 reserve grade matches for the Eels."
"During my run of 159 matches straight, I must have driven reserve grade hooker Ron Workman out of his mind.
"But maybe I did Ronny a good turn. He went to Penrith and had a good career at that Club".
Bill was a first grade selector in 1969, reserve grade coach from 1970-1973 as well as being a long term committeeman.
Billy rated the best players of his era Ken Thornett and Ron Lynch,
"Ken was almost a team on his own while Ron Lynch had no peer as a lock or second row forward"..

Utey

Coach
parra pete said:
:lol: :lol: ...I am, what is commonly known as, an "Old Goat"....

Billy was "Bridge Builder"..one of those blokes who dug the well of success the current crop of players and supporters we are now drinking at.
"I had three broken ribs and two black eyes. Stop Rayner from hooking and we'll win this match for sure. That's what they were saying.
"Well they dudn't stop me. Broken ribs, balck eyes and all, I kept playing and won the next thirteen scrums staight. I knew I had them beaten by just stopping on the field. They couldn't afford to knock me about anymore because the referee had the whole Western Suburbs pack tabbed." Bill Rayner, Parramatta's 'iron moan' with an unbroken run of 159 First grade matches, was describing his most dramatic moment in Rugby League.
"I was in agony", Bill said.
"I got hurt earlyt in the first half and don't remember much about the play. But I do remember saying to myself Bill 'stop on, that's why you got hit, to get you off." The match was against Wests in 1963 at Pratten Park. Billy joined Parra from Yass in 1956.
"Jack Scullin approached me after I'd played for Southern Division against France in 1954 and later when I'd played for Monaro against Great Britain in 1955.
"It was my ambition to play Sydney football so I didn't hesitate to accept Parramatta's terms.
Billy didn't take long in making an impression.
He represented City Seconds in 1957 and 1958 City Firsts in 1959 and Australia against France in 1960. This paved the way for World Cup selection in 1960.
Selection in this touring team was the biggest thrill of Bill's career.
"We'd played an interstate match against Queensland in Brisbane at the time.
"The team was announced about an hour after that match. I couln't believe I'd made it. I was ahead of great hookers such as Ian Walsh, Noel Kelly and Bed Goff."
Testimony to Bill's durability is his playing 201 first and 21 reserve grade matches for the Eels."
"During my run of 159 matches straight, I must have drive reserve grade hooker Ron Workman out of his mind.
"But maybe I did Ronny a good turn. He went to Penrith and had a good career at that Club".
Bill was a first grade selector in 1969, reserve grade coach from 1970-1973 as well as being a long term committeeman.
Billy rated the best players of his era Ken Thornett and Ron Lynch,
"Ken was almost a team on his own while Ron Lynch had no peer as a lock or second row forward"..

mate your an asset to this forum!

for other oldies, theres a good Q and A on Ken & Dickie Thornett in RLW. Good read and theres a good poster of Grothey.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Thank you for that Pete for those of us that never got the pleasure to meet Billy or see him play. You paint a very good picture of his character in that description.

This club makes me so damn proud of the respect we show to our legends.

Nickeel

Juniors
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
This club makes me so damn proud of the respect we show to our legends.

We could do much, much more, mate. But that's for another time, another thread.

Nick

Latest posts