What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Incorrect

Coach
Thoughts on Steve Smith and Warner upon their return?
I will say from the get go that I think Warner is a ratbag of a person and it was likely the shit he copped from De Kock in South Africa where they nearly came to blows in the stairwell that tipped him over the edge from pushing boundaries and playing hard to outright cheating... I think Warner and his missus are letting their spin doctors dictate what they should and shouldn't be saying, Smith and to a lesser extent Bancroft would be too, but in Warner's case they seem to be waiting for just the right time to open up again, hoping public sentiment is softening towards them. Does any of this have anything to do with cricket? Probably not, and he should be judged on his figures when he resumes first class cricket... But in all honesty, I think I would find it hard to be in the same dressing room as him. Smith we all know will come back in ASAP. Bancroft will be welco e back but he needs to actually show he's worthy of a shot first...

Eelogical

Referee
I will say from the get go that I think Warner is a ratbag of a person and it was likely the shit he copped from De Kock in South Africa where they nearly came to blows in the stairwell that tipped him over the edge from pushing boundaries and playing hard to outright cheating... I think Warner and his missus are letting their spin doctors dictate what they should and shouldn't be saying, Smith and to a lesser extent Bancroft would be too, but in Warner's case they seem to be waiting for just the right time to open up again, hoping public sentiment is softening towards them. Does any of this have anything to do with cricket? Probably not, and he should be judged on his figures when he resumes first class cricket... But in all honesty, I think I would find it hard to be in the same dressing room as him. Smith we all know will come back in ASAP. Bancroft will be welco e back but he needs to actually show he's worthy of a shot first...
If Smith gets the captain's gig again he's going to have to work overtime to gain the respect of the team and the aussie cricketing public. As captain, I think he's a shot duck. As a batsmen, he has a lot to offer, as does Warner. We're in a rebuilding phase.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don’t rate Paine as a leader either. Seems like a good bloke but not Australian captain material. IIRC Smith and Warner have a leadership ban so can’t be captain or vice captain for a period of time once they are back in the team. Can anyone confirm?
Warner has been banned for good and Smith for another 12 months after he returns.

Paine got the gig because he is a good bloke.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Oh and I agree with Baz, I also thought Smith was an average leader(allowing Warner to do what he did proves it) and not a great tactician either. Paine was last man standing in a sense because they seem reluctant to give the gig to a bowler. I hope they don't go back to Smith either it's just another step back. Head is probably the best choice of the current mob he just has to get the stupid shots out of his game.

Bazal

Post Whore
Warner has been banned for good and Smith for another 12 months after he returns.

Paine got the gig because he is a good bloke.

Paine got the gig cos he's the old head at a grade cricket club who takes over first grade when all the good players leave to pursue a premiership with a rival club...and the fact that Cricket Australia has basically been reduced to a glorified grade cricket club is a sad reality

He's going fine given what he's got to work with. He'll have another year or so in the gig and then someone (hopefully not Smith) will take the reins from him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Paine got the gig cos he's the old head at a grade cricket club who takes over first grade when all the good players leave to pursue a premiership with a rival club...and the fact that Cricket Australia has basically been reduced to a glorified grade cricket club is a sad reality

He's going fine given what he's got to work with. He'll have another year or so in the gig and then someone (hopefully not Smith) will take the reins from him.
I understand why he got the gig , and really what other choice did they have??? He's done an ok job considering what he's been left with. And the worrying thing is there are no other real leaders on the horizon.

Bazal

Post Whore
I asked when we got belted in England, and I'm asking again.

Why the f**k is Jake Weatherald not in our ODI squad?

Happy MEel

First Grade
I actually think Lyon would have a pretty decent cricket head on his shoulders...seems to be well liked amongst the playing group too.

Bazal

Post Whore
I actually think Lyon would have a pretty decent cricket head on his shoulders...seems to be well liked amongst the playing group too.

Some people don't like to hear it, given his cult hero status, but the GOAT is a bit loose and a bit rare to be a captain from all reports.

Plus we've always seemingly had a problem with bowling captains.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hey look, another wrong call in the BBL.

Same bloke who gave Pattinson out run out in the box too...

Cricket is a shambles across the board in this country lol.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hey look, another wrong call in the BBL.

Same bloke who gave Pattinson out run out in the box too...

Cricket is a shambles across the board in this country lol.
I'm shocked Henry Perenara isn't getting a gig in the BBL.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Some people don't like to hear it, given his cult hero status, but the GOAT is a bit loose and a bit rare to be a captain from all reports.

Plus we've always seemingly had a problem with bowling captains.
Yeah he’s not ideal but he was certainly more entrenched in the team than Paine was. You could argue Ponting was a bit loose as well.