What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love the mud

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was pretty closematch and we can go on forever about why we didnt win by a motza but imo, it was great for the mud.

Saints won 18-16 after leading 12-0... a decisive lead as it turns out.
Souths were tremendous as they came back but as the middle patch became a quagmire, it soon became uncharted waters for a lot of these players who were not used to playing in the SCG mud. Brett Firman in particular looked out of his depth.

Saints had the game won up the middle but when the middle became a swamp, the game plans went out the window and both sides struggled to make ground. It became a ruckng-out slog-fest... it was great.

The winning try came from a lucky break of some 75 yardswhen some of the fastest guys on the field found some rare ground.

btw, top marks to Dean Byrne and Luke Bailey. They were the difference.

It was a great feeling to be at the ground today. All the atmosphere and traditon, you could almost smell it.

The weather was a shocker, spent the arvo in the cheap seats being very wet and cold. Your right Willow, the pitch was atrocious, the mud in the middle made for a different sort of spectacle. They really ripped it apart towards the end of the reggies when it started pelting down.

Saw Blacklock play abit and gave him some well deserved curry ;)Actually, he playedalright and did a couple of nice things

I thought Harrigan made a few shithouse calls and definitely seems to have a things against Souths. IMO, the double movement call was pathetic

But overall, a good day

Cheers,
Moffo

imported_Beast

Juniors
It was a tough day for Souths but I do believe they will soon mimic the Sharks and wina couple on the trot. They played a much better second half and the conditions were more suited to holding a lead than playing flash football. Harrigan did make a dreadful decision but I thought the video ref was a bit shy and should have made a call one way or the other and not just flick the burden. Souths will win quite a few matches soon but whilst a team is down the officials find it easier to let the 50/50 calls slide the other way, I am sure this will even out as the season moves on.

the double movement call was correct. progress had been stopped and he had a player lying all over him. he then had another lunge at the line. how could you see it any other way?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree Realraul.
It was Gus Gould who called it as an unfair decision.

He said, 'since when is it double movement from in front of the tryline?'

Now, I don't wish to knock any commentator for being one-eyed... shit knows we've seen plenty of those over the years.

But Gus's support for Souths was apparent to the point that he forgot about the rules of the game. Thats a worrying sign for the Blues.

I agreed with Harrigan's double movement call, so if you're a Saint's fan and didn't....give yourself a swift uppercut;).
The wet conditions dictated that it would be a slugging affair and it eventuated that way.
That lad Byrne is really going to develop intoa top draw 5/8. I'm going to go out on a limb and say in a months time we will almost have forgoten what an important player Trent was for us, yep big call indeed. His kicking game and composure looked in order today. He went missing in the mid stages, but so did quite a few of the bois as South's got a roll on.
My patience with Robert's inconsistancies is starting to really frustrate me. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Tingha is back in the 1st 13 against the Cowboy's. Lets get to Jubilee on Sunday and make some noise

Navigator

Juniors
Saw Blacklock play abit and gave him some well deserved curry
He didn't play First Grade did he? Are you speaking of a lower grade?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes indeedy..
2003_11_02blackock.jpg

Nathan Blacklock scored the opening try in
the lower grade fixture - Welcome back Tingha!

Fletcher said that he never heard Billy say held. Fans with sports ears were saying the same thing yesterday. Bill said that he said held. So who is right?

Besides, Bill said in a post match report that he couldn't see if Fletcher put the ball over the line. So how the HELL can he call it a double movement?? Doesn't make sense

Cheers,
Moffo

Sack the bugger, he should know the rules well enough after 17 years at the top. Non-sensical call. Your right Bronco, i believe it was the foxsports report that mentioned that

Cheers,
Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo: "Bill said in a post match report that he couldn't see if Fletcher put the ball over the line. So how the HELL can he call it a double movement?? "

Bronco: "he didn't know if he Fletcher scored the try or not so as you say moff if he didn't know then how could he call it a double movement. "

Because in the ref's opinion, the player was held before he made the second attempt to get the ball over the line. Its irrelevant if he grounded it after that... it was a double movement.

The ball slipped down between Fletcher's legs and grabbed it and placed it over the tryline. Meanwhile, defenders were lying all over him. The vid ref made it a refs call and the ref said double movement... nothing much to it really.

Moffo: "Bill said that he said held. So who is right?"

I thought harrigan said, 'you were held...' - don't think he said, 'I called held...'
I'll have another look but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

In any case, if Billy needs to re-read the rule book, it looks to me that he isn't the only one.

MFC your a goose

Anyone who saw that game saw things go both ways but more to Souths

Owen Craige's 2nd try - oh my god how many knock on'a do Souths want

Anyone who says Fletchers try is a try has no idea about Rugby League

Fact Harrigan couldn't keep either side onside

Fact while both sides were off side Souths went early on most occassions preventing us of using dominant backline

I hate Harrigan and the only chant that went up as one yesterday was Harrigan's a wanker- funnily enough both supporters joined in

On Harrigan with rules of game - If Fletcher scores its a double movement, if he hasn't its a play the ball - thats why he went to check

Like the idea of sacking him and that idiot Ward in the video ref's box

Willow, its the refs job to call held. Its not up to the play to work out when they are held. Surely this is common sense!

A player will keep moving forward until he is deemed held by the ref. This did not occur. Harrigan cocked up.

I apologise if im wrong, but my understanding was that a double movement could only be called if he grounded the ball AND the ref called held before that.

Benny - I was at the game. Bullshit mate, Craigies was a fair try. I saw that on the big screen and there were no knock ons. Souths got heavily penalised in the early stages of the game which helped saints get a roll on and get a 12-0 lead.

Another point on Harrigan, if he thought it was a double movement, why didn't he call it straight away? Bill is a confidence ref, if he called held and he deemed that fletcher moved forward after that then he should've given a penalty straight away

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo: "Willow, its the refs job to call held. Its not up to the play to work out when they are held. Surely this is common sense!"
No, thats not entirely correct. You're getting too technical now... the ref's interpretation of the rules are more flexible than that.
Its commonsense when a player is held. Sure its up to the ref to judge but he doesnt have to call 'held' every single time.

"my understanding was that a double movement could only be called if he grounded the ball AND the ref called held before that. "
The ball was grounded before the tryline. Fletcher's torso was on the ball and he had players all over him. He picked it and put it over the tryline. The ref doesnt have to call 'held' when its obvious that he is tackled. But the ref can tell the player that he was held after the fact so as to explain the ruling.

"if he thought it was a double movement, why didn't he call it straight away? "
Because he was using the technology. If he didnt at least check, we'd all be screaming. Keep in mind that while the vid ref is looking at the replay, he also giving his opinioninto harrigan's ear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no big fan of Billy as you know but he was right this time. I ask the question, what if he had awarded the try? At best, it was pretty dusty.

imported_midas

Juniors
Billy Boy has admitted this morning that he erred in not calling "held"
So that makes it official -Souths were robbed and Saints fans have to come to grips with the unpalatable fact that Billy Boy did them one hell of a favour.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I forgot that there are some who have a axe to grind about Saints. And here I thinking that we talking about an interpretation of the rules. Silly me.

I dislike Bill as much as most

But Bill made a dodge call. At least he admitted it

I have nothing against the Dragons :)

Cheers,
Moffo

Latest posts