What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Hindmarsh likely to return to Eels

eloquentEEL

First Grade
don't forget that the Raiders originally had to pay something like 3 times what the Eels offered to get him across in the first place... just because he's asking for big $$$ from the Raiders again and they've said it's too high, does not mean that his asking price at the Eels is the same... he might play for the Eels for a lot less.

Gronk

Staff member
Ian will add good depth. A dedicated clubman & a tough tackler who rarely comes up with a miss is a great asset for the club. Yes we have Wags & Robbo but you must expect injuries and recruit accordingly. He will not take the place of a Weller, Zeb or Josh as he plays a different role in the pack.

Come on home Ian.:thumn

cayless1989

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
Hindmarsh reunion on the cards at Eels
Friday, July 28, 2006 - 6:24 PM

Nathan Hindmarsh has welcomed news older brother Ian could make an unexpected NRL return for Parramatta.

Ian Hindmarsh, who has been playing for Les Catalans in the English Super League, has received interest from the Eels after signalling his intention to return to Australia.

"I've spoken to him a few times about returning ... yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea," Nathan Hindmarsh said of the prospect of reuniting with his brother at the Eels.

"We do (keep in contact) but not so much the last three weeks, we've both been busy.

"It was disappointing to see him (leave) because he's a great player, great defender.

"It's a business and he obviously got a better deal in Canberra.

"He loves the farm, that's probably the main reason he wants to get back, he's got a farm up and running in Cowra now.

"We don't normally talk about footy but I might do.

"It could be (good), we'll have to wait and see."

Asked if he would try to persuade his brother to re-join the blue and golds, Hindmarsh quipped: "I might do now.

"It depends on what state he's in, he's getting a bit old now, it depends on what he's like."

Ian Hindmarsh, who will be 29 next week, played for the Eels from 1998-2002 before salary cap restrictions forced a switch to Canberra, where he played for three seasons.

Canberra was initially interested in luring him back to the nation's capital in a direct swap for veteran lock Jason Croker, who is considering joining the French team.

However, Raiders officials ruled out the move after baulking at the second rower's asking price.

Manager Chris Orr said there was some interest from Manly, Wests Tigers and Penrith, but indicated Parramatta was Hindmarsh's likely destination.

"Parramatta is the favourite," Orr said.

"It would be very inviting to play with your brother.

"Parramatta seem pretty keen on the idea as well."

Complicating the equation, Les Catalans is interested in St George Illawarra forward Sam Isemonger, although he is considering re-signing with the Dragons.

In a bid to retain Croker, the Raiders have offered the one-Test Kangaroo the same post-football career training rejected by skipper Clinton Schifcofske, courtesy of new sponsor the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

Croker said he would make a decision on his future in the next few days.

"I spoke to (Les Catalans) last night and they've asked me to give them an offer, so there's been a bit of a communication breakdown," Croker said.

"I wouldn't think there'd by any decision till after the weekend.

"I'm still not too sure at the moment, it's still up in the air."

Asked if the CFMEU offer held appeal, Croker said: "I have only one or two years left in me, so I need to think about what I want to do afterwards."

Meanwhile Manly officials have ruled out backrower Steve Menzies making an early return from a hand injury against Parramatta on Saturday night.

http://www.nrl.com.au

would be a very good replacement 4
morro.

cardinal

Juniors
I dont think Ian will replace morro, that will be Lowries job. I see Ian being great off the bench prop or 2nd row.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I haven't heard too many complaints in recent years about those Eels who have returned after stints elsewhere: Grothe, Marsh, McKinnon, Robinson.

There's a good reason for this. We know what we're getting because they've been here before! It's a lot less risky than signing up an unknown.

Lowrie and Finch are the same story. Hagan has coached both before and knows them well.

Going after Jason Smith was the same story again... he's been here before.

In Lyon's case they were going for a similar approach but must have had a brain explosion because, for exactly the same reason, they should've known what he and his manager are like and realised that it was a riskier option to chase him.

I was worried about how our recruitment was looking, but on closer inspection there seem to be 3 very level-headed key ingredients:

1. Don't pay overs.
2. For juniors within the club, lock up the best ones quickly.
3. For established first graders at other clubs, minimise the risk by having very strong internal references to really understand what you're getting.

These 3 key points go a fair way to instilling some confidence in the recruitment policy.

ParraDude_Jay said:
No mate I'd admit I was wrong, just like I did with Lyon.

Do you watch Catalans in Super League? No? Well what would you know about Ian Hindmarsh? I follow the super league competition, I've seen his form and it's terrible. Chad Robinson this year is 10 times better than Ian Hindmarsh has been for the past 2 years, and I'm pretty critical of Robbo. Ian is very unfit and lazy on the field, he would put even more pressure on Nathan rather than take any off him. Also, Catalans are running second last in the ESL, yet they're still keen on releasing him, doesn't that say anything to you? Seriously, before you tell me I'm a joke, just watch Ian play.

If Ian signs then our recruitment, apart from Lowrie who is still young enough to have some sort of an impact, has been based around rejects who nobody else is stupid enough to sign.

......ok, so he looks unfit. then hes a terrible player. how dare he be unfit. :roll:
perhaps, with a good fitness program, a better team around him he might play a little better.... maybe? its just possible.

and before u cry that we're wasting our money. who else are we going to spend it on? we've all seen the estimated calculations on how much we have spare in the cap. its a hell of a lot of money. it wouldnt hurt having iHindy back - he might not even get a run in first grade. who cares, depth never hurt anyone. And if by the off chance he regains some lost form that he never even found at the raiders, then great job eels management. :clap:

However, those that think it'll help Nathans attack is kidding themselves. iHindy wont lighten naths defence workload any more than wag/robbo can. But bring him on all the same, just dont delude yourselves.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
eeelectroshooting? said:
......ok, so he looks unfit. then hes a terrible player. how dare he be unfit. :roll:
perhaps, with a good fitness program, a better team around him he might play a little better.... maybe? its just possible.

He was unfit at the Raiders and hasn't improved at Catalans... "but maybe he might get better", yeah well maybe Luke Burt will represent Australia. That's just another excuse to have an old favourite back home.

eeelectroshooting? said:
and before u cry that we're wasting our money. who else are we going to spend it on?

Upgrading the contracts of young guys like Jarryd Hayne, Tim Smith, Josh Cordoba etc., with no more anti-tampering deadline they will be approached early, if Ian Hindmarsh takes the rest of the space in our cap that money is being totally wasted when it could be used to keep the best young talent we have at the club.

eeelectroshooting? said:
we've all seen the estimated calculations on how much we have spare in the cap. its a hell of a lot of money. it wouldnt hurt having iHindy back - he might not even get a run in first grade. who cares, depth never hurt anyone. And if by the off chance he regains some lost form that he never even found at the raiders, then great job eels management. :clap:

He would get a run in first grade, there is no chance Hagan would play him in reserves. He would be signed as a starting backrower, not a bench player or premier league player, and since the Raiders laughed at his asking price and they have more money under the cap than us then it has to be at least $200k. That's $200k being spent on an unfit foward with a low workrate, good buy in your opinion?

Everyone who wants him back only wants him because his name is Ian Hindmarsh and he's been here before. He was a good player for us, no question, but he isn't anymore. He is a bad player now, if it wasn't for his name and the club were after a player who had the exact same build, ability, workrate and fitness but he wasn't Ian Hindmarsh then I think, no, I KNOW alot more of you would agree with me.

Don't kid yourselves, this is a bad signing.

yy_cheng

Coach
Just wanted to ask where Morro, Chad and Wagon plays in defence?

i.e. Wide, in the middle, etc. I reckon they defend kinda wide whereas hindy, caylo, moimoi are in the middle.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
since the Raiders laughed at his asking price and they have more money under the cap than us then it has to be at least $200k. That's $200k being spent on an unfit foward with a low workrate, good buy in your opinion?

you're making a huge assumption here about the $$$ and that's swaying your overall opinion.

if he came on minimum wage, i think there would be very few that wouldn't want... but that too, is unrealistic. what's the most you think Parra should pay for him? or would you not even take him on minimum wage?

HayneHindi

Juniors
I would welcome back Hindmarsh because i think we need to have depth in our forwards. I know everyone wants the youth to come through and I agree with them but if we get injuries to some of our top forwards eg Hindmarsh and Cayless I think his experience will help out our youngsters. Plus I think all the top line forwards have resigned with there clubs or gone to other clubs.

caylo

Bench
i don't get the problem, if he works he will play that is good. our pack now is strong enough to compete, and we are lossing 1 player (morro, i dont consider widders cos he doesn't play liek a forward). if ian isn't good enough he wont play. id rather be in that possition than having to play out of form players... this tries to prevent that by creating as much competion for possitions

bartman

Immortal
He'll probably thrive in the environment of playing in a pack that (hopefully) will go forward. Catalans didn't even have a coach at the start of the season, that's got to be awful conditions and incentive to have a good season.

He's probably keen to see his form and fitness improve and knows from experience that it could happen at Parra. Worth it if only for the depth and experience he'd being to our younger forwards in their development.

Don't forget we have to spend a minimum amount of money under the salary cap, and maybe we're not there yet... hence the still shopping around to see who's available.