What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal NRL & 2nd tier expansion in the medium term.

taipan

Referee
Shame you can't have a reasonable discussio

Shame you can't have a reasonable discussion without the Perth nonsense and death riding jibes.

All I asked was if you thought Cullen was correct in suggesting Cronulla will have made up the $9million gap to be amongst the big boys. a simple yes or no, or don't know would have sufficed.

This coming from a Perth guy who has been death riding Cronulla for yonks.
Brevity in response coming from you LOL.I'll discuss reasonably with anyone who is not sticking the knife into my club's back, when I'm not looking.
I never stated anywhere or mention a figure of any supposed $9m gap, which I suggest is based on past figures.
I'll spell it out one more time.Cullen after having a shot at the ineptitude of the prior Shark's management and the reinstating of the people involved with the ASADA issue,stated during his time there and his research of the books and the development, that the Sharks IHO would be among the top 3 or 4 NRL clubs.
It was also stated in one of the News outlets by a marketing guru, after the G/F win ,that the Sharks football jersey is now the 5th most valued in terms of sponsorship in this country.After the Broncos and 3 AFL clubs.

Now if that means no debt which is the scenario after the development profits, the retail income at least $1m pa, income from the refurbished Licenced club right next door, income from match day activities allied with NRL grants(which will now be salary cap plus 20+%),patronage from 2,000 new residents within 50 metres of the club, increased membership, attendances ,merchandise, rent free stadium, little reliance on poker machine monies for the football club,whatever the final figure will be Cullen made the comment.
If you have an issue with that, take it up with Cullen.

I attended the meetings re the development proposals ,the actual plans, questioned people such as engineers,
developer rep, local council at a walk around of the plans.I see the result of the stage 1,the developing stage 2.
I have lived in the area all my idle life.It is an in demand area with which to live, work and play.
I did not just arrive from London or Murmansk.

If there are other clubs in Sydney not reliant on huge poker machine grants, private ownership, own their own ground(and the long term plans to develop the stadium), in a high demand residential and holiday area, then let me know.And tell Cullen.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm very upfront, no backstabbing from me. I think the NRL's growth has been held back by an oversaturation of clubs in Sydney. The NRL itself has confirmed numerous times that it cant look at a perth, or any expansion, team as so many existing clubs are in strife.
Up until selling off your assets Cronulla was near the top of the list of those problem clubs holding the game back. You have won a reprieve by some good fortune of selling off your main asset, not because the club has turned around its off field football positioning significantly.
Your spsonsorship income in 15-16 was not large, your attendances in a premiership winning season where nothing to write home about and your memberships still barley top 10k.
Will the income from the development be enough to make up for small fanbase, corporate lack of sponsorship appeal and a stadium in need of massive upgrade? Time will tell. A $9mill revenue gap between Sharks and the top clubs is a massive amount to make up unless you become extremely attractive to sponsors and massively increase your membership, crowds and merch sales or the leagues club becomes hugely more popular. Cullen might be right but it is a very optimistic crystal ball statement imo. At the very least being sustainable so the NRL has the confidence to invest in expansion would be a good thing.

There will always be big clubs and small clubs, its the nature of sport and there is arguably a place for small clubs to give the feel good stories of david beating goliath but not at the expense of growth of the game. The AFL recognised this and put into place a funding strategy that supports the small clubs existence without stopping its expansion strategy. Just wish the NRL has some vision to do the same.

taipan

Referee
I suggest you look at all your posts on expansion some open, some with sarcasm.
NRLs' growth was held back by SL/News owning half the comp/poor TV deals and competition in Sydney from other codes.(Sharks)
It's not a problem club now.Even smith concede the club was well placed.But you know better of course.
There are more sponsors and memberships on board now that 15-16.If you choose to continually use the past to promote your argument,you are losing it.
So continuing to mention a $9m gap ,when all development and refurbishment is yet to be completed,is misleading.

Small fanbase LOL,I dare say judging by the memberships so far, they have as many as the Cowboys,more than the Sea Eagles,not much less than the Tigers,or Dragons,more than the Titans,half the Broncos (a city of 2m),as many as the Warriors,nearly as many as the Raiders.
And of course we are expecting a huge fanbase in Perth ,sure.

You do understand they had their share of Monday nights, which will not be the case now.

We won a reprieve because of people like Damien Irvine and the new board.The Sharks are not the only club to get reprieve.The Sharks made their own luck, and the imagination to own their own ground, which eventually paid dividends.

OK just got back from the club tonight.Noticed the units that have been completed and occupied, have at their base opportunities for business rentals.A further source of income.
The expected profits form the sales of the residentials from what I have heard very from $45m upwards of $60m.In addition their DA for a hotel and a further 200 units would more than likely go close to doubling that figure.
Cullen has based his comments well before the demand for the units went through the roof .Well before and he had no knowledge AFAIK of the hotel and extra 200 units proposal.

Once again I asked you to show me a club which owns its own ground,relies less on poker machine monies than many others,that has its Licenced club next door, has a huge retail and residential development, the former providing $1m pa ,pays no ground rental, secures sideline advtg income and stadium sponsorship,brewery contract, will have a public bus service stopping right out the front ,servicing the Shire right down to the beach, and has residences next door for 2,000 people.

If Perth gets anywhere near that position ,they deserve to get in.In the meantime its all guesswork and assumptions.
The only thing you got right, there will always be big and small clubs, but all clubs will be operating under the same fully funded salary cap, plus 20%.A far better position for all clubs ,than ever before.

Latest posts