What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal team/city representation if comp was starting from scratch first few year

T-Boon

Coach
Think the most effective "relocation " would be one-that gains back lost fans, gains a much needed local derby rivalry or two and capitalises on infrastructure already in place with a league's club next to the ground. Central Coast Bears! Now that's a win win relocation both strengthening a new area and reinvigorating a lost area. Looks too sensible doesn't it!?

I am not against that except I would thin the hurd out of Sydney first. Get it down to 5 Sydney clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
These fans you dismiss are massive in the big picture. Without such fans the code loses its universal/widespread relevance. Your bean counting approach is not all encompassing. And their are plenty of fans that are not members. I have been a member and due to value I have once again joined the local NRL club as its suits my leisure times and was decently priced. I purchased a 6 match membership purely so I could see the visiting clubs that are playing the Knights (mostly on Saturdays preferably:so I.bought) Until yesterday my support was in all types of manner for my club.(Roosters) Things like buying apparel like socks, beach towels, car seat covers, number plates etc all showed my support without being a member. The support for the NRL clubs, especially in Sydney is way bigger than you estimate.

Someone really should put you in charge of promotion of the Sydney NRL clubs. It is to be admired.
If every fan who attends games just brought one extra friend with them we would have 30k crowds.

Stallion

First Grade
Yet when bears where cut tv audiences went up as did the tv deals, significantly.

Source please. I've heard the opposite, particularly in the North Sydney area . My source was Todd Greenburg in a radio interview(a few years ago). He revealed a marked decrease in viewers in the northern Sydney area tuning into events like State of Origin.

Stallion

First Grade
I am not against that except I would thin the hurd out of Sydney first. Get it down to 5 Sydney clubs.

Don't think it's a herd in Sydney. Much more a sound group of stallions. Ridding Sydney of its clubs ultimately dilutes the code in Australias largest city. Understand the objective however it's not practical or sensible for such a vulnerable code with rival codes waiting to pounce on.more unrest and lost relevance within Sydney. It's a big city and its got a very envied base stemming from the Sydney clubs that have established this awesome competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Source please. I've heard the opposite, particularly in the North Sydney area . My source was Todd Greenburg in a radio interview(a few years ago). He revealed a marked decrease in viewers in the northern Sydney area tuning into events like State of Origin.

Haha Coming from you that is haliarious. Tv viewing figures have grown significantly since 2000 as have tv revenue. It did t need the bears to achieve this. Your argument is without substance,

Can you give a reference to this Todd Greenberg statement?when and where did you hear him say this?
Seeing as tv doesn’t break down it’s stats by local regional government area id love to know how these figures were recorded, if they were.

Stallion

First Grade
Haha Coming from you that is haliarious. Tv viewing figures have grown significantly since 2000 as have tv revenue. It did t need the bears to achieve this. Your argument is without substance,

Can you give a reference to this Todd Greenberg statement?when and where did you hear him say this?
Seeing as tv doesn’t break down it’s stats by local regional government area id love to know how these figures were recorded, if they were.

Still waiting on your source please! And yes I did hear the comment from Todd Greenburg. From.memory it was an ABC Radio interview. And even more recently Greenburg admitted to a downswing in participation numbers and interest in North Sydney as a result of the Bears demise. But don't let the truth get in the way of your facetiousness. The good guys are used to your destructive and ignorant rants! I've labored over valid and logical. points with negative and incoherent individuals before. Nothing surprises me with the calibre of some on this site.Not all mind you. Just the consistent dribbles whom. look to weaken rugby-league and show it remarkable disrespect in certain topics.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TV revenue
https://www.nrl.com/about-us/annual-reports/

Tv audience example
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/07/state-of-origin-i-a-multimedia-success/
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...7a08c725a?sv=2700c1e2290e3b7a916684e5fa2c7a7a

Since the rationalisation of Sydney the games media revenue has more than tripled and we’ve hit highest tv audience peaks again and again.

“From memory”? Lol. where’s your reference that proves your Greenberg comment claim? Come on you want me to provide some evidence, show us yours!

Even if the game is down in NS, it is more than made up for by the gains elsewhere and has had no negative effect on the overall health of the game. Sydney rationalisation has not created a weakening of the game, it is richer and stronger overall than it has ever been. Ergo more rationalisation to allow growth in better opportunity markets will lead to an even stronger game of RL in the future.

Stallion

First Grade
TV revenue
https://www.nrl.com/about-us/annual-reports/

Tv audience example
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-trumps-afl-in-tv-ratings-war-20180910-p502u1.html
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/07/state-of-origin-i-a-multimedia-success/
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...7a08c725a?sv=2700c1e2290e3b7a916684e5fa2c7a7a

Since the rationalisation of Sydney the games media revenue has more than tripled and we’ve hit highest tv audience peaks again and again.

“From memory”? Lol. where’s your reference that proves your Greenberg comment claim? Come on you want me to provide some evidence, show us yours!

Even if the game is down in NS, it is more than made up for by the gains elsewhere and has had no negative effect on the overall health of the game. Sydney rationalisation has not created a weakening of the game, it is richer and stronger overall than it has ever been. Ergo more rationalisation to allow growth in better opportunity markets will lead to an even stronger game of RL in the future.

You call it rationalisation! ? It's absolutely dilution of the code in Australias largest city and market! Even mathematically the population to club ratio works out at well over half a million fans per club just from Sydney metropolitan area. This is without the massive support these clubs have Australia wide! Nonsense stuff from the "dilution " advocates! And what's more precarious it's the biggest city in the world that happens to have rugbyleague as its main football code. The dilution is hapening before our very eyes with an area of 1.2 million people having just one top flight club in northern Sydney. You ask for fact there is a fact! It's reckless loss of established supporter bases. And you want to continue to carve it up!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You call it rationalisation! ? It's absolutely dilution of the code in Australias largest city and market!
To supply the Sydney market to the degree that you and others assert is necessary to sustain it the NRL literally has to severely under service or even give up on every other market in Australia and NZ, and while you are right that the Sydney market is a very valuable market it isn't more valuable than all the other markets in the rest of the country and NZ!

So basically if you are correct in your assertions then Sydney isn't worth the trouble anyway...
Even mathematically the population to club ratio works out at well over half a million fans per club just from Sydney metropolitan area. This is without the massive support these clubs have Australia wide! Nonsense stuff from the "dilution " advocates! And what's more precarious it's the biggest city in the world that happens to have rugbyleague as its main football code. The dilution is hapening before our very eyes with an area of 1.2 million people having just one top flight club in northern Sydney. You ask for fact there is a fact! It's reckless loss of established supporter bases. And you want to continue to carve it up!
Firstly population number doesn't equal fan-base, but ignoring that for a second, if the Sydney clubs have all these fans where are they then!?

If they exist why is it that we fail to find any evidence of their existence?

And if we can't find evidence of their existence because they never watch or attend any games, never buy any merch, aren't members, and are 'fans' that only talk about the team over the water cooler then why should we care what they think or if they'll get their feelings hurt if they literally don't care enough to contribute anything to their club or the sport as a whole?

Stallion

First Grade
To supply the Sydney market to the degree that you and others assert is necessary to sustain it the NRL literally has to severely under service or even give up on every other market in Australia and NZ, and while you are right that the Sydney market is a very valuable market it isn't more valuable than all the other markets in the rest of the country and NZ!

So basically if you are correct in your assertions then Sydney isn't worth the trouble anyway...

Firstly population number doesn't equal fan-base, but ignoring that for a second, if the Sydney clubs have all these fans where are they then!?

If they exist why is it that we fail to find any evidence of their existence?

And if we can't find evidence of their existence because they never watch or attend any games, never buy any merch, aren't members, and are 'fans' that only talk about the team over the water cooler then why should we care what they think or if they'll get their feelings hurt if they literally don't care enough to contribute anything to their club or the sport as a whole?

You may be failing to find the 'evidence' the fans exist, but others are well aware! One indicator is the merchandise sales associated with these clubs. It's massive and widespread. (bigger than any other codes in Australia) Do you think such sales would exist if these clubs you dismiss are not about?!. And I dissagree with your mathematics logic. If the numbers are there these are potential fans/customers. And I might add the population density of Sydney is another compelling factor for sustaining and even consolidating(CCBears for example) clubs in Sydney and its outskirts. We absolutely differ on market potential and opportunity. Your derision of these established clubs shows an ignorance and disrespect that is flawed in so many ways. IT'S BEEN STATED B4 AND WILL BE STATED AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!.......

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You call it rationalisation! ? It's absolutely dilution of the code in Australias largest city and market! Even mathematically the population to club ratio works out at well over half a million fans per club just from Sydney metropolitan area. This is without the massive support these clubs have Australia wide! Nonsense stuff from the "dilution " advocates! And what's more precarious it's the biggest city in the world that happens to have rugbyleague as its main football code. The dilution is hapening before our very eyes with an area of 1.2 million people having just one top flight club in northern Sydney. You ask for fact there is a fact! It's reckless loss of established supporter bases. And you want to continue to carve it up!

The game is more popular and richer than it has ever been. So yes if rationalisation means we keep getting stronger , more popular and richer then I’m all for it.

Stallion

First Grade
The game is more popular and richer than it has ever been. So yes if rationalisation means we keep getting stronger , more popular and richer then I’m all for it.

So absolutely no. The code is underachieving as a result of the attack that it endured and is suffering from in 1997. Have you ever thought the game would be significantly stronger with such clubs you think mergering and exiting has occured to?! Logic compels another (a reinvigorating of the code) consollidation / expansion club in northern Sydney. 1.2 million people for just Manly Warringah? It's cleary the Central Coast Bears. Your logic is repeatedly mathematically challenged and strategically flawed. Meanwhile diluting Sydney's rugby league base is your goal! Sorry. But it's dumb and ignorant all in one! And the end point being their is absolutely no issue with additional expansion clubs. You seem to think ridding the game of established fan bases is a winner! You are seeking a weakening of the code in the biggest market in Australia. Shamefull but then again it's been stated before. There is no issue with this competition expanding to 20 plus clubs. You just would prefer to carve it up and lose established support when expansion can be achieved without such massive losses in fanbases and relevance. These people whom are fans of the clubs you dismiss are living longer and are loyal. It's a shame your thought processes are not reflecting genuine proactive growth without implosion. But that's your theme throughout!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yours is a hypothetical, mine is fact. The game was rationalised a number of times, and expanded on the back of it which has led to more money, more audiences and more interest overall. Two less Sydney clubs, Brisbane2 and perth will see the game once again leap ahead of its current stagnation. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

The game can’t grow with its current situation, nrl has said so and ten years on the proof of the pudding is there to see. Either get radical as in my other post proposal to cap clubs to make them all sustainable and grow off that, or reduce the current mouths at the table in order to bring in ones that will lead to a stronger game. As the commission chairman has said we can’t stay the same or we risk dying.

Stallion

First Grade
Yours is a hypothetical, mine is fact. The game was rationalised a number of times, and expanded on the back of it which has led to more money, more audiences and more interest overall. Two less Sydney clubs, Brisbane2 and perth will see the game once again leap ahead of its current stagnation. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

The fact is this great game has underachieved. Your negativity demonstrates your lack of knowledge and understanding of cultural relevance and respect through longevity. Which brings to a question of your age?.You seem to be elderly although your comments are consistently reckless without respecting history. So are you a 30something aged person?. Or are you completely devoid of reality and substance for rugby league. Or even further; Are you a plant looking to undermine rugby league? My caveat to that last assertion is: that you have offered some decent comment on the international issues so it does confuse the matter. Nevertheless you may have an envy angle toward Australian rugby league which may explain your destructive intent!?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyway we are off thread, surprise surprise! Imo there should have been 5 Sydney clubs plus Newcastle and Gosford if you were starting the nrl tomorrow.
7 nsw
4 Q’land
Vic
WA
SA
Nz
ACT

Eventually going up to 18 with nz2 and png

That would give you the ideal top tier Comp make up for pretty much the next 50 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact is this great game has underachieved. Your negativity demonstrates your lack of knowledge and understanding of cultural relevance and respect through longevity. Which brings to a question of your age?.You seem to be elderly although your comments are consistently reckless without respecting history. So are you a 30something aged person?. Or are you completely devoid of reality and substance for rugby league. Or even further; Are you a plant looking to undermine rugby league? My caveat to that last assertion is: that you have offered some decent comment on the international issues so it does confuse the matter. Nevertheless you may have an envy angle toward Australian rugby league which may explain your destructive intent!?

I have no interest in replying to defend my very long RL support. You’ve been warned about derailing threads with personal insults a number of times!

Stallion

First Grade
I have no interest in replying to defend my very long RL support. You’ve been warned about derailing threads with personal insults a number of times!

Think you have been warned as well. But your intent is far more destructive than any of my comments! The disrespect and fanciful diatribe is consistent with most of your comments. But it's a free world they say and you are doing your bit!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I think people should stop quoting and RL stats during the 1996 to 1999 period

The fan base and sponsor base was fed up with SL greed

Club profits were incorrectly propped up by News Ltd buyouts

Eg in 1995 Cronulla was bust and being run into the ground

Souths actually made the criteria cutoff but the NRL rejected a sponsorship deal they had in place. But it meant no Penrith. Souths were unlucky that the 1985-89 period wasnt be used as a measure rather than a rebuilding period impacted by the SL War

Balmain actually made the cut too

That would have meant Norths and Wests as the two clubs to miss out

Easts benefited by not having juniors in the criteria

While today membership not just LC asset base is a valuable criteria item

But take the $10 mil grant from ANY club and it will struggle financial in a few years