What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idris - the myth

Far Canal

Juniors
My two cents worth - Idris seems to be a bit of a myth created by journalists looking for the next "it" personality.

His form lately has been pretty shite - his reading of the defence and his lateral movement all points to signs he will be in the forward pack in a few years time.

The dogs did well not to overpay for him next year and beyond.

A bloke who has just signed a big, long-term contract and is a shoo-in for Origin doesn't really need to over-exert himself.

And in any case I think he's playing pretty well. He was better than Inglis in the Test and is still causing opposition defences some grief even when he is heavily marked.

j0nesy

Bench
He played well in the test, other than that I agree. My personal opinion is that he is a defensive liability against a good centre. Cooper has showed him up twice this season. If he comes up against Hodges he will struggle IMO.

bulldogben

Juniors
yeh im a dogs fan but lately he just hasnt been good enough. i view his movement like a train: he can go alright in a straightline if he gets a while to wind up, but ask him to change direction and hes useless. only thing about his game now that i rate is his ability under the high ball. The 'devastating' runs he has are very rare now as well as hes always shut down before he gets going

p.s first post :)

Doomednow

Bench
I think he has a lot of potential, but is yet to reach it and isn't being used properly in the sides, which is also limiting him into developing into his best.

I remember in his first year, he used to just run right over the top of people.

Don't think he should be getting rep duties... yet.

skeepe

Immortal
He's always been a myth. He has good games, there's no denying it, and he absolutely schooled Inglis in round 2, but for a big guy he can't defend for shit and is caught out for pace over and over.

Big centres can work, and while he's still young he's got plenty of time to improve, but he's got all the makings of a pretty good second rower, and I think that's where he'll be in the not too distant future.

That rookie of the year award was a f**king joke though. All 3 other nominees had far more Dally M points than bitch tits, yet he wins the award? Give me a break! Dugan had 12 times the amount of Dally M points FFS!

Far Canal

Juniors
Dont get me wrong - he is a good player but he just lacks that speed you need in a centre. His size /height are his biggest attributes.

It is a pity that both Cooper and Lyons are no longer playing rep footy because they would be my first choice centres.

While we are on this topic - what the f**k has Gasnier done to deserve a roll up back to SOO?

MSIH

Bench
He's always been a myth. He has good games, there's no denying it, and he absolutely schooled Inglis in round 2, but for a big guy he can't defend for shit and is caught out for pace over and over.

Big centres can work, and while he's still young he's got plenty of time to improve, but he's got all the makings of a pretty good second rower, and I think that's where he'll be in the not too distant future.

That rookie of the year award was a f**king joke though. All 3 other nominees had far more Dally M points than bitch tits, yet he wins the award? Give me a break! Dugan had 12 times the amount of Dally M points FFS!

:lol: I don't pay much attention to Rookie of the Year, but Idris really get it over Dugan? :lol: Shows how much cred the awards got.

Vic Mackey

Referee
He can be good in attack however the dogs last night didn't set up one backline play to get him involved.

I think he'll be a different player outside Scott prince

j0nesy

Bench
While we are on this topic - what the f**k has Gasnier done to deserve a roll up back to SOO?

Gasnier has been one of the Dragons best players this season. Scored and setup some good tries, plenty of line breaks and his defence is up there with the best these days.

Who do you think should be in the centres for NSW?

Gaba

First Grade
I had a smile on my face in the cooper try, where idris slide all way to the sideline dont know what the hell he was doing there

skeepe

Immortal
:lol: I don't pay much attention to Rookie of the Year, but Idris really get it over Dugan? :lol: Shows how much cred the awards got.

He sure did.

Fun fact: that year Dugan amassed 12 Dally M points in 16 games, while Idris played 18 games for a mammoth haul of 1 point.

18to87

First Grade
Gasnier has been one of the Dragons best players this season. Scored and setup some good tries, plenty of line breaks and his defence is up there with the best these days.

Who do you think should be in the centres for NSW?

Well said. Gasnier was missed last night.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Dogs are an attack through the middle kind of team. I think he'll be better at the titans. But his defence needs to improve too.