What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Benji is out...

Lethal25

Juniors
Have to bear in mind that blooding players particularly late in the season can cause salary cap issues. I've no insight as to the salary cap status at the club this season but am aware it's caught other clubs out previously.

IMO Farrell at 5/8 causes the least upheaval for the rest of the team and he'd handle it as well as any other suggested

giboz71

First Grade
Surely it has to be Hutchison or Crook? If not, what was our back up plan for Benji and Widdop this year?

Henry was let go as was Williams last year, and Bird wasn't deemed good enough for first grade according to our coaches. That indicates to me that we put all our faith in Hutch or Crook in case one of our halves went down this year.

If we now have to rely on a stop gap measure like Farrell, Hunt (even JDB ffs), that means that we're deeming our current back ups aren't good enough - that's a monumental stuff up seeing who's now playing 5/8 for the Sharks.

The Nick

Bench
Milford and Hunt will have a field day with JDB. He will run out of puff big time and they will then carve up the Dragons. Bennett is to good a coach to not find a weakness with JDB at 5/8.

Yeah we all know Bennett hated having a backrower fill in at 5/8...... :roll:

V

Vasilevsky

Surely it has to be Hutchison or Crook? If not, what was our back up plan for Benji and Widdop this year?

Henry was let go as was Williams last year, and Bird wasn't deemed good enough for first grade according to our coaches. That indicates to me that we put all our faith in Hutch or Crook in case one of our halves went down this year.

If we now have to rely on a stop gap measure like Farrell, Hunt (even JDB ffs), that means that we're deeming our current back ups aren't good enough - that's a monumental stuff up seeing who's now playing 5/8 for the Sharks.

If Bird had stayed what position do you think he would be playing? Or do you think he would be happy in the NSW Cup waiting for Benji or Widdop to be injured? I think he is a good player but not sure about anything more than a standard first grade player. Not a ball player, not fast enough to be a really good centre and not big enough to be a really good forward.

giboz71

First Grade
If Bird had stayed what position do you think he would be playing? Or do you think he would be happy in the NSW Cup waiting for Benji or Widdop to be injured? I think he is a good player but not sure about anything more than a standard first grade player. Not a ball player, not fast enough to be a really good centre and not big enough to be a really good forward.

Not trying to re-ignite the Bird argument, I'm just pointing out that we have let potential back up halves go, so that tells me we have put our faith in Hutch or Crook. If we're now not going to play them, then what was our strategy?

As for what position Bird would have played for us? Both Farrell and Marketo have played big minutes in FG this year and neither of them hold a candle to Bird's ability.

Just sayin......

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bird could come down as a big loss but you can understand why they did it. He does have a serious arthritic problem which could flare up any time and he could miss lots of time out of the game. Kyle Stanley Anyone? After going through what they did with the Stanley Bros you can see why Saints would be scared to take risk again. Kyle has probably scared them for life in taking risks with young players that have serious injuries.

STGI

Juniors
Also with Bird we have to remember that we did try to keep him. We offered more than the sharks but he saw a better opportunity to cement a first grade spot there.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Reports Farrell still has back injury. So we might be going with Hutchinson or Crooks. Brisbane will eat these boys. This is not good.

tumbidragon

First Grade
I know Crook has just gotten back from injury. But I'd be inclined to give him a crack over Hutcho. Played pretty well for the Cutters all year and was impressive in the 9's.
Hutchinson looked like he didn't want a bar of the pill last time. Not writing him off at all. Just think crook has been consistently better.

Dea

Juniors
Reports that Hutchinson has come to Brisbane as potential replacement.
Since his last start in NRL anybody know how he has played? Has he shown a loss of confidence from the experience or playing better as a result?

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I do not want to bag a young player; but Hutchison is not up to 1st grade standard and never will be. He passes the ball 10 meters behind the advancing defensive line. He never engages the defensive line and this makes it easy to defend against. He simply aimlessly shovels the ball to his immediate outside back. His style of play reminds me of Quade Copper; who also plays way behind the line. The best playmakers engage the line and make defenders think about what is coming. Poor old Drew Hutchison is a plodder. I would not even resign the kid. Friday nights replacement should be Justin Hunt.

Latest posts