What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Cayless Cordoba and Finch Are Released Who Do You Want?

hah.its not like we merged 6 months ago and stole all their juniors. we have been a joint club for over 10 years, and have developed them together.

hey im not bagging out Parra (i care about the team coz of all my close friends who love them.... otherwise i wouldnt be in here). just think u guys have no hope of signing Creagh of Poore.

ALL through STEELERS development

Brett morris - Kiama
Ben Hornby - Corrimal
Matt Cooper - Shellharbour
Ben Creaigh - Wollongong
Dean Young - Dapto
Matt Head - Dapto
nightingale- Kiwi but came through Steelers juniors

Boyd - import
beau scott -import
costigan- import
sailor -import
soward- import
smith- import
prior ??
weyman- import
saffy- import
hunt- import
poore?? maybe a st george conection?
priddis -import

I live in the gong and have seen all these kids come through Steelers development. Dragond would have squat if it was not for the Steelers connection.

Daneel

Bench
hah.its not like we merged 6 months ago and stole all their juniors. we have been a joint club for over 10 years, and have developed them together.

hey im not bagging out Parra (i care about the team coz of all my close friends who love them.... otherwise i wouldnt be in here). just think u guys have no hope of signing Creagh of Poore.

I wouldn't have thought we are a chance to sign them until you came in here and said we can't. Now you seem awfully worried to me. Maybe you aren't all that secure in thinking you will keep them.

Hames

Juniors
Hey,

I know we need a halfback now and Monahan would be great but in terms of forwards, did anyone see the Canberra game on Monday night.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Shillington were outstanding.

Kiki

First Grade

Brett morris - Kiama
Ben Hornby - Corrimal
Ben Creaigh - Wollongong
Dean Young - Dapto
Matt Head - Dapto

Boyd - import
beau scott -import
costigan- import
sailor -import
soward- import
smith- import
prior ??
weyman- import
saffy- import
hunt- import
poore?? maybe a st george conection?
priddis -import

I live in the gong and have seen all these kids come through Steelers development. Dragond would have squat if it was not for the Steelers connection.

:lol:

thanks for the rundown of stuff i already knew. BOYD? AN IMPORT? wowwwww!

considering some the boys are in their early 20s, im fairly sure when they were 12 and 13 they woulda been thinking 'i want to play for the st george illawarra dragons' and not the steelers. in fact i know that for a fact when it comes to a few of the boys you mentioned.

why does it matter that we are a merged club? it's not like its a recent thing and we swooped in and stole all these 'steelers juniors'. we are the same entity and have been so for an entire decade. apart from a few diehards, most dragons fans fully accept the illawarra as an integral and extremey valued part of the club. it's not like the dragons is exploiting the gong for juniors.

daneel...nah mate not worried. just don't want u guys to get ur hopes up thats all ;-)

sooperdooper

First Grade
any of these i would be happy:
Scott Logan
Poore
Hunt
Creagh....

Just one i would be.

Then a rampaging back rower...

brad58

Juniors

Brett morris - Kiama
Ben Hornby - Corrimal
Ben Creaigh - Wollongong
Dean Young - Dapto
Matt Head - Dapto
beau scott -(Picton/Illawarra Junior)
prior - (Thirroul/Illawarra Junior)
D hunt- (Dapto/Illawarra Junior)
poore - (Helensburgh (via WA :p)/Illawarra Junior)

Boyd - import
costigan- import
sailor -import
soward- import
smith- import
weyman- import
saffy- import
priddis -i mport

Illawarra reins supreme, too bad they couldn't afford to stay the Steelers. So most are now technically Dragons juniors...
But as they say, thats the way the cookie crumbles!

thebrunks

Juniors
Illawarra reins supreme, too bad they couldn't afford to stay the Steelers. So most are now technically Dragons juniors...
But as they say, thats the way the cookie crumbles!

But the dragons have heritage & they now have the best of both worlds!!!

Dean Young would be a Dragon regardless of the joint venture!

Until they merged, both clubs were struggling!

I hope Parra don't let Cayless leave, he's been a great captain & great forward for the eels! the only problem Parra have is in the halves.

parra's forwards go fine when they have someone guiding them around the park.

Parra need another Ian Hindmarsh. They definately need another 80 minute forward.

Pazza

First Grade
the problem with cayless is he is taking up way too much cap space, i'd like to keep him but more on 250k not 400k

The Colonel

Immortal
100% right!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is how I see it. We've paid big dollars for decent names in the past and it hasn't really worked for us. Sure, we scored a minor premiership out of it but that has been about it.

The NYC both this year and last has thrown up some decent players who with exposure to first grade have shown they are capable of competing at the top level. Players who might not necessarily be superstars but they can play and they have a dig.

Everyone throws up names like Ben Creagh, Justin Poore and Petero among others. Truth be told, they aren't going to leave while they are playing well at their respective clubs. It might happen but it will cost and if this player goes and that player goes we may be able to afford it. But is it really worth it? Sure some clubs have benefited from it. Some have paid much more than they are worth and end up with a half decent player being paid more than what he delivers.

I think it is much more viable position to look to the players who are looking for the opportunity to play first grade. You may end up with four or five very good young players rather than two bigger names and your odds improve as to who may make a great fit into the team and who may not. You can also look to sign them on shorter term deals so they aren't tying up huge amounts of money for long periods of time until such time as their playing status warrants it.

We are in a rebuilding phase so it really isn't going to be a place where bigger names are really going to want to come and surely not blokes looking to finish out their careers.

yy_cheng

Coach
I agree to an extent Colonel, however, the problem with signing the non-superstars who have a dig is that we need a great organizer to tell them what to do.

ATM, we do not have that person. Mateo is more ad-lib. We need a controlled playmaker to steer the cattle.

Without him, those non-superstars will not perform.

Delboy

First Grade
Colonel, I think you will find that in general the player managers of our own juniors demand overs, and we need to realise there are clubs who are happy to poach. Look at Cronulla who are blooding Wright and Mannah , who they paid overs for from Penrith and Parramatta.

It will be difficult but it is time we didn.t get carried away with our own stock, and made sure they had some good solid NRL players to form the basis of the side. I think you will find that we will continue to look after our own juniors, but not at the cost that we undertook under the previous regime. Hopefully, this is one of the steps we take to change direction. I believe these local juniors need to understand what has been invested in them, and while they may have to wait a year or two for the large payback, in a sense they need to be loyal if at all possible.

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree to an extent Colonel, however, the problem with signing the non-superstars who have a dig is that we need a great organizer to tell them what to do.

ATM, we do not have that person. Mateo is more ad-lib. We need a controlled playmaker to steer the cattle.

Without him, those non-superstars will not perform.

We don't need a great organiser. We just need a decent organiser full stop.

The Colonel

Immortal
Colonel, I think you will find that in general the player managers of our own juniors demand overs, and we need to realise there are clubs who are happy to poach. Look at Cronulla who are blooding Wright and Mannah , who they paid overs for from Penrith and Parramatta.

It will be difficult but it is time we didn.t get carried away with our own stock, and made sure they had some good solid NRL players to form the basis of the side. I think you will find that we will continue to look after our own juniors, but not at the cost that we undertook under the previous regime. Hopefully, this is one of the steps we take to change direction. I believe these local juniors need to understand what has been invested in them, and while they may have to wait a year or two for the large payback, in a sense they need to be loyal if at all possible.

Of course. And this is the basis of my argument. We need solid players rather than superstars to help turn the club around. Ben Hunt is a solid player with a big upside and for yy, he is a very good organiser.

We just need to bring some new players into the mix to freshen the place up.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This is how I see it. We've paid big dollars for decent names in the past and it hasn't really worked for us. Sure, we scored a minor premiership out of it but that has been about it.

The NYC both this year and last has thrown up some decent players who with exposure to first grade have shown they are capable of competing at the top level. Players who might not necessarily be superstars but they can play and they have a dig.

Everyone throws up names like Ben Creagh, Justin Poore and Petero among others. Truth be told, they aren't going to leave while they are playing well at their respective clubs. It might happen but it will cost and if this player goes and that player goes we may be able to afford it. But is it really worth it? Sure some clubs have benefited from it. Some have paid much more than they are worth and end up with a half decent player being paid more than what he delivers.

I think it is much more viable position to look to the players who are looking for the opportunity to play first grade. You may end up with four or five very good young players rather than two bigger names and your odds improve as to who may make a great fit into the team and who may not. You can also look to sign them on shorter term deals so they aren't tying up huge amounts of money for long periods of time until such time as their playing status warrants it.

We are in a rebuilding phase so it really isn't going to be a place where bigger names are really going to want to come and surely not blokes looking to finish out their careers.

I agree.

Besides, we are far more likely to successfully sign a Leeson Ah Mau or a Dan Hunt than a Justin Poore or Ben Creagh anyway.