What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Cronk joins the Roosters, the 2018 competition is over before it starts

Lambretta

First Grade
so according to NRL. Roosters need to Shed $400k to get Cronk

if Cronk is $900k player then i find it laughable that Roosters are currently $500k below the cap.

The salary cap increased to $9.1m (with additional $300,000 for cars etc) from $7 million in 2017 (according to Wiki) -

Ins: James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)

Outs: Kane Evans (Eels), Aidan Guerra (Knights), Connor Watson (Knights), Liam Knight (Raiders), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Knights), Paul Carter (given the arse)

Now - look at the people coming in - then look at the people going out
Do you really think the Roosters are OVER the cap?

To be honest, I can't see why any club would be over the cap if it rose $2 million in one go
Surely that can't be right. Mr Google must be broken. Can anyone confirm?

Lambretta

First Grade
Good to seeSlothfield did what was asked and had a story outlining how easily the Roosters can afford all their marquee type players. Amazing how easy it is to judge salaries, wonder who pulled his chain

Every time a team looks strong, everyone starts questioning how they can afford it
It happened to Souths, the Storm, the Broncos, the Cowboys, the Roosters...... basically anyone who has won a comp

I can understand why people question it when you look how f**king gash the Tigers, Dragons and Bulldogs are and how they're struggling to get under their cap.

f**king Roosters. Cap cheatin' bastards. Why don't they bollocks it all up like the Dragons?

Generalzod

Immortal
Just look at this team:

James Tedesco

Daniel Tupou, Latrell Mitchell, Joseph Manu/Michael Gordon, Blake Ferguson,

Luke Keary
Cooper Cronk

Isaac Liu
Boyd Cordner, S.S. Taukeiaho,
Jared Wharea-Hargreaves, Jake Friend, Dylan Napa

Interchange: Zane Tetevano, Lindsay Collins, Mitch Aubusson, Ryan Matterson,
Hang on I thought the Roosters where sure things this year, what the f**k happened???

RazorRam0n

Juniors
The salary cap increased to $9.1m (with additional $300,000 for cars etc) from $7 million in 2017 (according to Wiki) -

Outs: Kane Evans (Eels), Aidan Guerra (Knights), Connor Watson (Knights), Liam Knight (Raiders), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Knights), Paul Carter (given the arse)

To be honest, I can't see why any club would be over the cap if it rose $2 million in one go

you know for every player you lose he has to replaced by a minimum wage earner at the very least right? so it's not JUST tedesco.

and all players who left have left under undersized deals under last years salary cap figure. eg evans guerra skd were lucky to be on 300k deals. carter and watson etc on minimum.

tedesco's deal is reportedly 1-1.2m

you know for every player you lose he has to replaced by a minimum wage earner at the very least right? so it's not JUST tedesco.

and all players who left have left under undersized deals under last years salary cap figure. eg evans guerra skd were lucky to be on 300k deals. carter and watson etc on minimum.

I'd doubt either Guerra or SKD were on chump change. Aiden Guerra signed his last contract with the Roosters after the 2014 season by which time he'd won a premiership with the club, played two Origin games for Qld and played for Australia. When SKD re-signed in mid-2015 on a 2 year deal, he was an established Test player for NZ and had helped the club win the 2013 Grand Final.

As to their replacements, second row is not a position the Roosters are light on. Sio Siua Taukheiao, Mitchell Aubusson, Ryan Matterson or even Nat Butcher or Victor Radley will more than likely fill that vacancy as all of them are already under contract. No need to sign his replacement.

As to SKD, his spot will probably be filled by one of either Michael Gordon or Joseph Manu. No new signing there.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
I'd doubt either Guerra or SKD were on chump change. Aiden Guerra signed his last contract with the Roosters after the 2014 season by which time he'd won a premiership with the club, played two Origin games for Qld and played for Australia. When SKD re-signed in mid-2015 on a 2 year deal, he was an established Test player for NZ and had helped the club win the 2013 Grand Final.

As to their replacements, second row is not a position the Roosters are light on. Sio Siua Taukheiao, Mitchell Aubusson, Ryan Matterson or even Nat Butcher or Victor Radley will more than likely fill that vacancy as all of them are already under contract. No need to sign his replacement.

As to SKD, his spot will probably be filled by one of either Michael Gordon or Joseph Manu. No new signing there.

i didn't say they were on chump change,

i said whatever they were on were contracts under previous salary cap figures, in guerra's case eg when he started that deal the best backrowers were getting 500k now 700k today but his negotiation power would have put him in the 350k bracket.

as for the rest of those squad members, they were already part of your 25 last season, we're talking about drafting in more reggies from wyong

papabear

Juniors

I have bolded the players that wont save you any money, you have to sign players in there place.

Also the cap increased to include a top 30 from 25 so there is another 500k.

Additionally, as you know latrell mitchell and any player who has signed with the roosters post 2017 would have had an increased cap in mind and negotiated something of the like in their contract.

Everyone always complains that top sides are over the cap. There not they are just abusing TPAs better, like the roosters / dogs / broncos always are.

The difference with this situation is that usually the top sides dont pick up the best two players available.

Chooks - Tedesco, Cronk
Broncs - Bird

Other top sides
Sharks - Lost bird, (and barba the year before) no one of note picked up
NQLD - who have they signed, temaire martin?
Melbourne - lost cronk

If you can't see the issue with this then you are blind, if they lose pearce, its a bit meh, but if all they lose is friend then come on.

BennyV

Referee
Sharks - Lost bird, (and barba the year before) no one of note picked up
e441d59b9e05f73db094d66f2d4065ae

julian87

Juniors
We have one of the best forward packs in the nrl

8. Mannah
10. Matagi
11. Ma'u
12. Moeroa
13.Brown

14. Scott
15. Edwards

And a more than decent backline

1. Gutherson
2. French
3. Jennings
4. Takairangi
5. Hoffman / semi will be back in may

Worst front row in the NRL tbh

Vee

First Grade
We have one of the best forward packs in the nrl

8. Mannah
10. Matagi
11. Ma'u
12. Moeroa
13.Brown

14. Scott
15. Edwards

And a more than decent backline

1. Gutherson
2. French
3. Jennings
4. Takairangi
5. Hoffman / semi will be back in may
You keep thinking that.

POPEYE

Coach
Spare a thought for Sonny Bill, Cronk could cut off his escape route . . . then again, Nick is good at digging tunnels

POPEYE

Coach
Cronk may not be as effective without his Storm and Queensland buddies.
No #7 would be as effective losing that quality of buddies but time will be Cooper's biggest enemy . . . time for Tedesco to 'adjust' and for the rest to learn the Way of Cronk

Lambretta

First Grade

I read this morning that Tedesco's deal was $850,000, so who knows the truth?

Yes, I understand that players in the squad have to replace the top players and the minimum wage is $80,000. In all reality, to secure a place in the top 25 you're paying them more than that anyway - but those players who left were not minimum wage players

I was being tongue in cheek to a degree - but as the cap rose significantly and not everyone was getting new deals, I believe there should be space - I just don't know how much

Reports have it that the Roosters have $400,000 left in their cap - so they need to offload $450,000 at least to get Cronk in. I have questioned how they're going to do it

If Cronk comes in and no one else leaves I will have serious doubts over the validity of the cap at Easts

Lambretta

First Grade
No #7 would be as effective losing that quality of buddies but time will be Cooper's biggest enemy . . . time for Tedesco to 'adjust' and for the rest to learn the Way of Cronk

Plus the "going the way of Popeye and becoming an old bastard" version of time

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun...... guitar solo....

Latest posts