What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Hornby wasn't needed at halfback

Gaba

First Grade
Hornby could be in alot of places from wing to centre
i would be willing to give hornby a go in the centre area

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Back at Fullback definitely, he would be a waste on the wing or in the centres because he is too much of a distributor.

Or put him as a utility player off the bench??

_Johnsy

Referee
I think we, and as a result hornbag are at the crossroads re: position. If he plays 1/2, i think he is destined to be a half, if he is going to revert back to fullback it needs to be this year. IMO he is a fullback, however the needs for a quality fullback have changed in the last 3-5 years. Height is the first thing I think of, & meso doesn't have it.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Nightingale or Boyd will get the fullback gig IMO and for mine Nighty has the runs on the board with 5 star performances when given the opportunity
Hornby at 1/2 with Sowie at 5/8 also worked for us 'til Sowie got injured
In attack or defense IMO Nighty definitely has Hornby covered for the fullback spot
In defense Hornby heads Head and is headed by Head in attack when he's on song
Nighty and Hornby have one thing in common, they are both more reliable than Sowie or Head who can both be a little enigmatic. You can bet that a lot will come down to each players ability to execute Benny's plays
Hornby has also talent as a dummy half so backup hooker is still an outside chance given Priddis may have injury problems being an older player
Good luck Benny!

God-King Dean

Immortal
I have a feeling in my waters that Bennett wants him at fullback with Head & Soward in the halves. If Head ain't up to the task, Hornby back to #7. But then that leaves the question about who the wingers are. Decisions, decisions.

watatank

Coach
This thread isn't about what Wayne Bennett might do, it's a hypothetical about the team and Hornby's place in it. Let's just say we sign Jonathan Thurston or Scott Prince, basically anyone you can think of which would effectively signal the end of Hornby's halfback days. Given all other factors are the same, is he still good enough to make the fullback position, would he shift to hooker, will he play yet another position in the team, will he playing off the bench or will he not be good enough to make the team at all?

Gaba

First Grade
your kidding right???:shock:

I could see no reason why Hornby wouldnt fit in the centres , some sides have former 2nd rows there , hornby could bring a new dimension in attack for the dragons from the centres, people are saying stanley or boyd to go into the centres so why not hornby

dubopov

Coach
Hornby as a centre is a joke. He's slow and can't tackle. He and Head should battle it out for half until Henry gets the gig which I hope will be sooner rather than later. The other two can then lead Shellharbour to a Reggies Premiership.

drake

First Grade
Bring back Regal Reece!

Seriously, I do feel sorry for the Hornbag. He's as loyal as a hound, tries his guts out in every position he plays, but he's just not a superstar in any position. Decent enough as a half for a bloke thrown in the position due to a lack of options, but he's never going to be within cooe of the greats.

As a fullback, he's safe, gutsy and has great positional play. Unfortunately, he's not fast, he's got no real attacking flair one on one. He would be great being developed into the type of role Lockyer used to play at 1.

I think it would be a moral shame for him to be left out of the squad, but do we want a team of sentimental favourites, or a team of the best players for each position? Me, I'd like to see the Honker in the team, even on the bench as a replacement back. With a quick shuffle in the back line, he could fill a whole from 1-7, even at hooker if need be.

watatank

Coach
Due to my original error it's obvious that I would put him at fullback.

He is the type of fullback we need at the back, great under the high ball, reliable, strong in defence, great positional and support play the ability to be a third playmaker and kicking option (given Priddis doesn't have a kicking game). Nightingale has all those things too and would be my second choice for fullback but at this stage he isn't a better overall option than Hornby. I also don't think he is slow as everyone is making him out to be, if he is so slow why is he playing halfback, his sleight of hand and skill set isn't good enough to compensate IMO?

rushndude

Bench
He's not "slow" as in Mathew Head slow..but compared to today's standard of fullbacks, he's slow.

I just dont like the idea of him at fullback these days, he use to be great but i feel we have better options in that position now..maybe he can play a Lance Hohaia type role off the bench?

Godz Illa

Coach
Embracing the hypothetical theme of your thread watatank, what if we signed Karmichael Hunt or Billy Slater (ew) or Brett Stewart?

Truth is (imo) a player like Hornby is crucial in this salary capped competition. Loyal and versatile. Will accept unders to stick around the club he loves, and can play in a number of positions. He has pros and cons at both fullback and the halves as do the other candidates for those roles.

watatank

Coach
Lance Hohaia is completely wasted off the bench, especially at NRL level. His contribution at fullback for NZ is proof of this.

Embracing the hypothetical theme of your thread watatank, what if we signed Karmichael Hunt or Billy Slater (ew) or Brett Stewart?

Truth is (imo) a player like Hornby is crucial in this salary capped competition. Loyal and versatile. Will accept unders to stick around the club he loves, and can play in a number of positions. He has pros and cons at both fullback and the halves as do the other candidates for those roles.

You're welcome to make a thread about it!

I ask the question as it seems a general view (IMO anyway) that Hornby must play halfback because there is no one else...which is fair enough. I was wondering if that halfback problem was solved would he go back to fullback (is he still good enough to play there?) or will he play off the bench or something?