What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it’s Perth PNG & NZ, then what order will NRL choose?

If it's PNG, NZ 2 and Perth, what order will they debut?

• PNG, NZ 2, then Perth

• PNG, Perth, then NZ 2

• Perth, PNG, then NZ 2

• Perth, NZ 2, then PNG

• NZ 2, Perth, then PNG

• NZ 2, PNG, then Perth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brian potter

First Grade
Never said you were a racist... just saying its the same tales getting spun by the folks back then, and now just under 50% of the leagues athletes stem from NZ and the P.Is, besides I wasn't debating, coz it's happening whether you're care factor is zero or full...
you compared my post to a view held by in your opinion “racist toffs“ and that you were getting a similar feeling to reading my posts to those in your opinion “racist toffs.”

it was a classic cowardly smear by you.

Brian potter

First Grade
Png will become a massive nrl side
in what way?

“massive” on the field by way of reaching and winning grandfinals? Or

”massive” off the field by making huge record profits?
that 600 million will launch the club and the game into the stratosphere
how long does the 600 million last and then what happens when it runs out?
the standalone finances the club will get from corporate png will shock the ignorami here
which companies?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep, Ok i feel you really are over-reading, or over reaching just to find a negative, know one cares if she is representing QLD, probably best there was someone else other than just her and beattie, seems like having QLD reps being involved in the ARLC is a crazy idea... should've rolled back those stones that have zero emotions, zero empathy and zero influence to represent them instead... or better yet bob catter
You're projecting.

I'm not reading anything into what she says, just taking it at face value and seeing it for what it is. You can't do that because you live in an bubble where any criticism of the NRL/RL is "negative" and being negative is haram, so instead of taking her at face value you're forced to twist what she says to fit a narrative.

Moron fanatics might not care if she's abusing her position on the commission to advocate for Qld's interests, but that doesn't change the fact that it undermines the whole purpose of an independent commission in the first place.

At that point it's effectively a glorified board of directors, not an independent commission, and we need to allow other stakeholders to have representatives on the board so their interests are equally represented. Personally I think that's a massive step backwards, but I guess it is what it is.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Makes a difference to how many juniors they can produce which is the reason they are being admitted
It does actually.

The truth is that nobody knows what PNG's population is exactly. But what we do know is that the vast majority of it live in remote communities that are difficult and expensive to access. Most of those communities are subsistence farmers or hunter-gathers that either don't have the means to participate or have no interest in RL at all anyway.

The reality is that when we're talking about PNG for RL participation purposes we're actually talking about the relative fraction of PNG's population that lives in Port Moresby (roughly 400k), Lae (roughly 200k), and maybe a dozen sub-100k cities of varying sizes. All up around 1-2 million people spread across the whole of PNG.

The NRL side would effectively act as a de facto Port Moresby side as well.

Vlad59

Bench
You're projecting.

I'm not reading anything into what she says, just taking it at face value and seeing it for what it is. You can't do that because you live in an bubble where any criticism of the NRL/RL is "negative" and being negative is haram, so instead of taking her at face value you're forced to twist what she says to fit a narrative.

Morons fanatics might not care if she's abusing her position on the commission to advocate for Qld's interests, but that doesn't change the fact that it undermines the whole purpose of an independent commission in the first place.

At that point it's effectively a glorified board of directors, not an independent commission, and we need to allow other stakeholders to have representatives on the board so their interests are equally represented. Personally I think that's a massive step backwards, but I guess it is what it is.
You are a rude miserable bitter old man

Wb1234

Referee
It does actually.

The truth is that nobody knows what PNG's population is exactly. But what we do know is that the vast majority of it live in remote communities that are difficult and expensive to access. Most of those communities are subsistence farmers or hunter-gathers that either don't have the means to participate or have no interest in RL at all anyway.

The reality is that when we're talking about PNG for RL participation purposes we're actually talking about the relative fraction of PNG's population that lives in Port Moresby (roughly 400k), Lae (roughly 200k), and maybe a dozen sub-100k cities of varying sizes. All up around 1-2 million people spread across the whole of PNG.

You should do comedy

blue bags

First Grade
in what way?

“massive” on the field by way of reaching and winning grandfinals? Or

”massive” off the field by making huge record profits?

how long does the 600 million last and then what happens when it runs out?

which companies?
Rio Tinto. Other huge mining industry companies

docbrown

Coach
It does actually.

I've been to those remote communities. Yes, they're subsistence farmers and hunter-gatherers. But rugby league is played in almost every one of those tiny speck villages. I witnessed a game in Simbu Highlands country that was used to settle a dispute about a cow that had wandered off. Rugby league was basically the court system.

And PNG populations for cities have a big asterisks over them because they don't take into account the satellite settlements and seasonal migrations. It wouldn't surprise me if the real population of the NCD and Central Province now was in the order of 1.5 to 2 million just on their own.

Maximus

Coach
That's if they don't get the tax breaks. That's why PVL is pushing for tax breaks. It would end up being effectively an extra 30-40% pay loading.

Nobody is asking anyone for tax breaks. His example of a tax break (jockeys living and working in Hong Kong getting taxed at the Hong Kong tax rate) is literally just how the tax system works.

PNG aren't going to give them tax free status.

docbrown

Coach
Nobody is asking anyone for tax breaks. His example of a tax break (jockeys living and working in Hong Kong getting taxed at the Hong Kong tax rate) is literally just how the tax system works.

PNG aren't going to give them tax free status.
Semantics. If players end up paying less tax then that's an effective tax break. Presuming what the PNG government will and won't do to get a team is unwise.

Maximus

Coach
Semantics. If players end up paying less tax then that's an effective tax break. Presuming what the PNG government will and won't do to get a team is unwise.

The PNG top marginal rate is 42%, and every single player will be on the top marginal rate as it starts at 100k AUD.

The PNG govt won't make their income tax free because they just had a major riot because $20 was accidentally withheld from people's pay and they thought it was a tax increase. They know exactly what would happen if they made a bunch of rich people pay no tax.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've been to those remote communities. Yes, they're subsistence farmers and hunter-gatherers. But rugby league is played in almost every one of those tiny speck villages. I witnessed a game in Simbu Highlands country that was used to settle a dispute about a cow that had wandered off. Rugby league was basically the court system.

And PNG populations for cities have a big asterisks over them because they don't take into account the satellite settlements and seasonal migrations. It wouldn't surprise me if the real population of the NCD and Central Province now was in the order of 1.5 to 2 million just on their own.
That's a nice anecdote, but it doesn't contradict the point I was making though.

As a general rule people like those you met in Chimbu don't have the means to participate in RL formally and aren't going to end up fed into a junior development system as a result.

I understand that PNG's population statistics have huge asterisks over them, I said as much in my post, but I don't think that my estimate of the size of the population that RL could realistically engage with for participates in PNG was unreasonable. Realistically you're looking at roughly 2mil people give or take.

You'd almost certainly get a better return on investment out of investing in the grassroots properly here in Australia as well, but that's a different discussion.

Latest posts