What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Tiger05

First Grade
Well if the WT win the wooden spoon this season, which is highly likely, then the only way is up for the incoming coaches.

Journalist:- Hey Sheensy what is your definition of success for next year ?
Sheensy:- Laying a foundation for future years and ensuring we remain at least on the same spot on the ladder. That means we can come 17th due to the Dolphins coming in.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Journalist:- Hey Sheensy what is your definition of success for next year ?
Sheensy:- Laying a foundation for future years and ensuring we remain at least on the same spot on the ladder. That means we can come 17th due to the Dolphins coming in.
Don’t set the bar too high Sheens! The team must feel great knowing that he has no confidence in them doing anything until his new breed of “developed” juniors comes through. I think just having Hastings and AD in the halves and swapping Pappa for Kelma would mean more wins.

Das Hassler

Bench
In my imagined highly credentialed opinion it has a real chance of working....if...IF....SO LONG AS the club keeps on the unwavering direction of hi caliber junior development...then it won't matter that elite players brush us and our cap will always be under control..we have to unapologetically adopt the Panthers model....young kids from the Nepean WANT to play for the Panthers...it's no good us hanging our future on attracting former stars and hoping they have some motivation left when they arrive. If we have a production line of young talent WANTING to play under Benji and Sheens and having them ready to hit the ground running when they get their shot at first grade ...just as happens at the panthers. When they get too expensive to hang onto then no worries ..the next one is chompin' at the bit to take his spot. It cannot work if we rely on imports with baggage...we will always need experience but juniors are the key! Also...that's where I believe Noddy comes in...an elite role has to be created for him to take charge of coaching and developing the juniors and he has to be supported fully to succeed with that responsibilty....his role would be as important as any other in the club. Once more...look at the Panthers...they don't worry about who will be coming onto the market....they have their own! As for Benji....I still remember the dismissal of a small kid with zero RL experience having much hope of succeeding and doubly so after his second shoulder reconstruction....putting one's own limits on him is a mistake

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
From the Sydney Morning Herald
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...cks-tigers-marshall-plan-20220716-p5b237.html

Marshall has been anointed as the man for the role after completing his apprenticeship under Sheens. The Kiwi international only retired last from the playing ranks last year, but his long-time mentor Wayne Bennett was adamant it wasn’t too much, too soon.
“Oh, he’s experienced, believe me,” Bennett said. “He’s been coaching for a lot longer than you think he has been.

“He just didn’t have ‘coach’ beside his name, he just had ‘player’. He will succeed. He’s very good with his leadership and management around players.
“There’s no bullshit with him. He knows the game extremely well, he knows the people in the game. He might not know someone until he comes to the club, but he will know that personality very well.

“There’s a lot of fun in him, he doesn’t like doing sad.”
The Tigers’ succession plan has been ridiculed in some quarters, but it’s the same one Bennett employed at South Sydney and will again be used by the seven-time premiership-winner at Redcliffe.

“The problem with most clubs is they don’t have a plan,” Bennett said. “It’s reaction, reaction, reaction and we all know how that goes. The Tigers are in a pretty bad state, they’ve had a lot of coaches over a short period of time. It’s not ideal, it’s not what people want to see, and you have coaches knocking the job back that have never coached in the NRL, so that’s not a good sign either.
“Tim has been a great coach in his time and he’s still got passion for the game. You can put young guys like Benji around him. I think it’s a great decision they made, it will stabilise the club.
“Tim will be able to handle all the criticism. I’m going the same path at Redcliffe; I’ll be the punching bag when things are going bad. That’s fine. Tim and I are used to that, you can’t hurt us. You protect the young coach and get the club stable and on the right road and then your young coach can come in and have a pretty good run at it.”

If Benji was applying for the job a referance like this doesn't get any better.

Das Hassler

Bench
Apparantly Sheens has also brought a very enthused Scott Prince back in '23 to help out with the halves....at last if true!

Das Hassler

Bench
And the only 1 of the spine with any actual serious coaching experience in Hodgson is the one left out in the cold.

Don't know about him being left out in the cold...he has a first grade coaching job in ESL. If Prince could just instill some real mongrel into Brooks and educate whoever has the armband next year on what a captain should look like it would be job well done right there!
Personally I'd tie Brooks..Douehi and Laurie (Hastings gets it) down to chairs and prop their eyes open with matchsticks ala Clockwork Orange and force them to watch Prince from the last dozen games of 05 plus the finals run. There's never been anyone who drove a side better than he did that year

gordsy

Juniors

BrotherJim05

Bench
This actually makes me feel better about being rejected. He clearly already has a relationship with Gus, plus is walking in to an overall better roster when you consider Kikau and Mahoney coming on board.

We really shouldn't feel like we were the problem.

Tiger05

First Grade
This actually makes me feel better about being rejected. He clearly already has a relationship with Gus, plus is walking in to an overall better roster when you consider Kikau and Mahoney coming on board.

We really shouldn't feel like we were the problem.

It'll be interesting how he goes compared to how we go. I think that will be based predominantly on the squads that both teams can put on the park.

Latest posts