What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The day no NRL clubs needs to be feeding off the pokie teat of misery will be a good day. Clubs have shown its not necessary if you run the club well. Sponsorship is still an area many clubs, especially Sydney ones it seems, are well below what some NRL and AFL clubs bring in.

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
The day no NRL clubs needs to be feeding of the pokie teat of misery will be a good day. Clubs have shown its not necessary if you run the club well. Sponsorship is still an area many clubs, especially Sydney ones it seems, are well below what some NRL and AFL clubs bring in.
Pokie dens? Lol

Having been around this for a long time now I am fully expecting to see what happened in 2013 and 2017. It will be deemed too hard and put on the back burner until 2033. I think the game has some major funding issues ahead of it. It has massively upped the club and player payments without massively upping revenue by same amount. That means it is coming out of somewhere, most likely grass roots and asset building.

To go to an 18 NRL and NRLW clubs by 2028 is a massive cost increase with the way the salary cap is going so unless the NRL can pull a rabbit out of the hat and do an AFL with the next TV rights I am very suss about if there will be any money to achieve it in that time frame.

I cannot imagine the game has increased its non-broadcast revenue to any great extent. V'landys trying to siphon more money out of the gambling community suggests he is desperate for cash.

It would be good if the Leagues Clubs were slugged with an enormous tax by the ARLC to fund junior development across Australia. Putting this stipulation in would make the likes of Canterbury Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters and Penrith Panthers the three most valuable clubs in the NRL and future proof their existence in the competition. They would have to be compensated for the riches they would be providing, but I'd be fine with them getting a leg up if the money they provided from gaming machine revenue helped us counter fumbleball at the junior level across the country. I'd like to see pokies outlawed, but until that happens it would be nice to see the community gain some benefit from these awful machines.

You have a weave better than Benji Marshall lol.
Twiggy Forrest owns the Force. He has and continues to spend significant sums, by us mere mortals standards, on Union in WA. He is worth over $30billion. ergo the Force are owned by the richest man in the country and have untold financial support. ergo they are the richest sports club in the country when factoring in wealth behind them.
Of course just looking at revenue raised by the football club they are a minnow. But then so are clubs like Panthers or Bulldogs who only raise $10-14mill a year from football operations.
Still Id probably rather have less revenue and Twiggy Forest with his hand in his pockets behind me lol

I'm convinced that Wookie is a populist trying to appeal to the knuckle draggers. He once said part of being on a forum is to have fun. That's what he's doing with his shitposting.

Posted this in clubs revenue thread but heres why I'm concerned if NRL is in a position to move forward with an 18th club, especially with investing in grassroots as will be needed:

'Overall club payments are going to cost NRL approx $82.7million a year more (maybe even more depending on NRLW payments) in 2023-2027 than in 2018-.

At the same time total NRL revenue has only gone up $79.5million from 2018 to what has been predicted for 2023.'

So from 2023 compared to 2018 there is at least a gap of $3.2mil a year before we factor in the increased running costs in all other areas in 2023 compared to 2018. On the other side of the ledger there has been savings made, and maybe the predicted $600mill revenue for this year will be more. But as it stands its not looking overly flush with cash to fund expansion so soon.
There's going to be conflict between the RLPA, NRL clubs, QRL and NSWRL. None of the parties will concede any ground. Some might band together to squeeze the weakest parties out. This problem will continue until the above parties bleed the game dry.

Pneuma

First Grade
I cannot imagine the game has increased its non-broadcast revenue to any great extent. V'landys trying to siphon more money out of the gambling community suggests he is desperate for cash.

It would be good if the Leagues Clubs were slugged with an enormous tax by the ARLC to fund junior development across Australia. Putting this stipulation in would make the likes of Canterbury Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters and Penrith Panthers the three most valuable clubs in the NRL and future proof their existence in the competition. They would have to be compensated for the riches they would be providing, but I'd be fine with them getting a leg up if the money they provided from gaming machine revenue helped us counter fumbleball at the junior level across the country. I'd like to see pokies outlawed, but until that happens it would be nice to see the community gain some benefit from these awful machines.

I'm convinced that Wookie is a populist trying to appeal to the knuckle draggers. He once said part of being on a forum is to have fun. That's what he's doing with his shitposting.

There's going to be conflict between the RLPA, NRL clubs, QRL and NSWRL. None of the parties will concede any ground. Some might band together to squeeze the weakest parties out. This problem will continue until the above parties bleed the game dry.
A Monday afternoon rant from our resident ranter!

The day no NRL clubs needs to be feeding off the pokie teat of misery will be a good day. Clubs have shown its not necessary if you run the club well. Sponsorship is still an area many clubs, especially Sydney ones it seems, are well below what some NRL and AFL clubs bring in.
Businesses won't invest in a product unless it provides them access to a large market. There's no incentive for businesses to invest a significant sum in a Sydney club when it's only reaching one-ninth of the potential market. It's why the Cowboys are drawing more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every Sydney club.

Pneuma

First Grade
Businesses won't invest in a product unless it provides them access to a large market. There's no incentive for businesses to invest a significant sum in a Sydney club when it's sharing the same market with eight competitors. It's why the Cowboys are drawing more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every Sydney club.
So are you got or against Sydney clubs? I still haven’t worked it out. Maybe you could post some data for us? Maybe a three thousand word dissertation? Oh and some comments about the Wookie who handed your ass to you on a plate. He’s clearly somebody you admire. And an article about pokies. That’d be nice. Oh and the history of the Logan scorpions and your valiant attempt to get them reinstated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Businesses won't invest in a product unless it provides them access to a large market. There's no incentive for businesses to invest a significant sum in a Sydney club when it's only reaching one-ninth of the potential market. It's why the Cowboys are drawing more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every Sydney club.
I think its deeper than that tbh. Whether its because the game still doesn't appeal to enough national partners to overcome the saturation factor in Sydney, or clubs just have poor management is hard to say. Why some clubs can draw $12-20million in sponsorship whilst others are struggling to attract $6-7million is an important question for the games heads to answer moving forward. I think stadiums play a factor as well, not surprisingly the clubs with the better corporate facilities are the ones raking in the corporate $'s.
A lesson for Perth and the WA Govt I'm sure!

Pneuma

First Grade
I think its deeper than that tbh. Whether its because the game still doesn't appeal to enough national partners to overcome the saturation factor in Sydney, or clubs just have poor management is hard to say. Why some clubs can draw $12-20million in sponsorship whilst others are struggling to attract $6-7million is an important question for the games heads to answer moving forward. I think stadiums play a factor as well, not surprisingly the clubs with the better corporate facilities are the ones raking in the corporate $'s.
A lesson for Perth and the WA Govt I'm sure!
An episode of dumb and dumber ^

The_Wookie

Bench
You've just demonstrated that you're a nutcase.

In your warped mind a club is viable if it can rort money from people with a gambling addiction, despite knowing full well that it makes sweet f**k all from football operations.

What sort of inbred imbecile holds this mindset?

Any reasonable accountant for a start or a lawyer.

You also think losing a team like the Gold Coast Titans or Newcastle Knights is better for the game than Sydney losing one of its nine clubs.

There's no words for that sort of stupidity.

Theres no words for the kind of stupidity that consistently makes up things that werent said.

I've lost count of the amount of times you've said the annual grant is a legitimate form of income.

Keep losing it then, because it absolutely is. Media rights and licensing has to be distributed somehow, and that is by agreement between the governing body and the clubs. See also: practically every league in the goddamn world where the media rights are centrally negotiated.

Well guess what motherf**ker, the problems at the Titans happened before the annual grant was increased to 130% of the salary cap.

and they were still receiving the grant that everyone else was before that - the grant didnt spring into being recently. Calm down my dude, you seem to becoming a little unhinged.

The Gold Coast Titans have been viable under the ownership of Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly and the annual grant. They don't rely on gaming machine revenue to stay afloat. If you were true to your word then you would say they're viable, but alas you want them gone because they're not from Sydney.

They werent viable when they went into voluntary administration, they werent viable when they couldnt pay their debts, they werent viable when the NRL took them over. That they are viable now is all very well. But they werent.

This is not the case with the Sydney clubs unless you cherry pick the revenues you personally believe they should have, instead of the revenue they are presently legally entitled to generate and spend how they wish.

There isn't a professional sporting league outside of Australia that holds the ludicrous stance that you're hysterically advocating.

I dont give a damn about professional sport outside of Australia.

The idiocy of your position is summed up the Parramatta Eels improving their position since they've diversified their income stream. They're weening themselves off pokies and are thriving. It's proof that you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about.

The fact you've got two of the board's biggest nutcases liking your post shows birds of a feather flock together.

IM all for clubs diversifying off pokies. But that also isnt football revenue, and isnt your whole goddamn stick about the Sydney clubs not making enough football revenue? Lets face it, your issue iseems to be with gambling revenue. So lets hear it for your condemnation of the Cowboys, Raiders, Knights, Dolphins and Broncos additional revenue streams that are outside your apparently very personal spehere of acceptable behaviour.

The_Wookie

Bench
The day no NRL clubs needs to be feeding off the pokie teat of misery will be a good day.

It will be yes. I look forward to the day my AFL club - Carlton - gets rid of theirs.

Clubs have shown its not necessary if you run the club well. Sponsorship is still an area many clubs, especially Sydney ones it seems, are well below what some NRL and AFL clubs bring in.

Many AFL clubs do pretty well from Pokies AND sponsorship. Collingwood did for years. Hawthorn, Geelong and Carlton do now.

The_Wookie

Bench
It would be good if the Leagues Clubs were slugged with an enormous tax by the ARLC to fund junior development across Australia.

The ARLC likely has no power over the Leagues clubs, only the NRL clubs themselves, which are generally separate corporate entities. The same protections the clubs get from the ATO that keep the leagues clubs at arms length should also keep the leagues clubs out from any ARLC efforts to control them

Never mind that every leagues club annual report lists all the grassroots and local clubs they also fund in addition to the NRL clubs

I'm convinced that Wookie is a populist trying to appeal to the knuckle draggers. He once said part of being on a forum is to have fun.

I am having fun. Whats the point of being alive if you arent having fun. I didnt sign up to LU to work another job.

That's what he's doing with his shitposting.

f**king lol.

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
The ARLC likely has no power over the Leagues clubs, only the NRL clubs themselves, which are generally separate corporate entities. The same protections the clubs get from the ATO that keep the leagues clubs at arms length should also keep the leagues clubs out from any ARLC efforts to control them

I am having fun. Whats the point of being alive if you arent having fun. I didnt sign up to LU to work another job.

f**king lol.
Lovely work

Perth Red

Post Whore

Never mind that every leagues club annual report lists all the grassroots and local clubs they also fund in addition to the NRL clubs

f**king lol.
I like the WA AFL model. The two clubs pay a license fee to the State body based on their financial performance which goes directly to funding the local grassroots across the State.
It means the WAFC has a lot more money to invest than the RL state bodies do and isnt reliant on the National body throwing loads of money at them (admittedly they also have a very sweet stadium deal from the State Govt thrown in).

eg WAFC in 2021 had revenue of $32mill with a $3.6mill grant from AFL,
NSWRL $35.6mill with a grant of $23.6mill from NRL!
And remember WA being a 1/4 the size of NSW

Shame NRL never adopted this. NRLVic would be in a much healthier position (as would NRLWA eventually) and we may have seen a lot more kids in Vic playing RL and feeding the Storm.

Wb1234

Referee
It will be yes. I look forward to the day my AFL club - Carlton - gets rid of theirs.

Many AFL clubs do pretty well from Pokies AND sponsorship. Collingwood did for years. Hawthorn, Geelong and Carlton do now.
Honestly people who complain about gambling revenue are just jealous

it’s legal and very heavily taxed

when I was interested in afl I remember Carlton were a powerhouse when a Elliot was the boss

I enjoyed the rivalry between him Kennett and McGuire

mcguire cops a lot of stick but he’s a credit to the afl

that probably what I enjoyed most about afl is the rivalries between Melbourne teams

Sydney has that too in rugby league but super league killed a lot of it off

rugby league in Sydney today is nowhere near where it was in the 90s

they have work to do to get back to that level

I used to watch the afl footy show on nine a bit and was always ticked off the rugby league equivalent didn’t come close

Pneuma

First Grade
I like the WA AFL model. The two clubs pay a license fee to the State body based on their financial performance which goes directly to funding the local grassroots across the State.
It means the WAFC has a lot more money to invest than the RL state bodies do and isnt reliant on the National body throwing loads of money at them (admittedly they also have a very sweet stadium deal from the State Govt thrown in).

eg WAFC in 2021 had revenue of $32mill with a $3.6mill grant from AFL,
NSWRL $35.6mill with a grant of $23.6mill from NRL!
And remember WA being a 1/4 the size of NSW

Shame NRL never adopted this. NRLVic would be in a much healthier position (as would NRLWA eventually) and we may have seen a lot more kids in Vic playing RL and feeding the Storm.
‘I like the WA AFL model’. After lecturing everybody else about referring to afl LUs biggest hypocrite and whinger starts referencing afl yet again. What a classic troll!

MugaB

Coach
You've just demonstrated that you're a nutcase.

In your warped mind a club is viable if it can rort money from people with a gambling addiction, despite knowing full well that it makes sweet f**k all from football operations.

What sort of inbred imbecile holds this mindset?

You also think losing a team like the Gold Coast Titans or Newcastle Knights is better for the game than Sydney losing one of its nine clubs.

There's no words for that sort of stupidity.

I've lost count of the amount of times you've said the annual grant is a legitimate form of income.

Well guess what motherf**ker, the problems at the Titans happened before the annual grant was increased to 130% of the salary cap.

The Gold Coast Titans have been viable under the ownership of Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly and the annual grant. They don't rely on gaming machine revenue to stay afloat. If you were true to your word then you would say they're viable, but alas you want them gone because they're not from Sydney.

There isn't a professional sporting league outside of Australia that holds the ludicrous stance that you're hysterically advocating.

The idiocy of your position is summed up the Parramatta Eels improving their position since they've diversified their income stream. They're weening themselves off pokies and are thriving. It's proof that you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about.

The fact you've got two of the board's biggest nutcases liking your post shows birds of a feather flock together.
1 Potato, 2 Potato, 3 Potato = 4 POTATO!!!

Whether wookie is factually correct is irrelevant, i like his posts because he treats you like scum...
Which you are.... hence the like, i dont even have to read it all to simply agree

Pneuma

First Grade
1 Potato, 2 Potato, 3 Potato = 4 POTATO!!!

Whether wookie is factually correct is irrelevant, i like his posts because he treats you like scum...
Which you are.... hence the like, i dont even have to read it all to simply agree
Meanwhile the pommy potato is off on another ‘i love afl’ rant!

Latest posts