What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we dont buy a halfback next year we will not make the 8

Marc Herbert is NOT a halfback, not playing like one anyway. He looks like he'd be more comfortable playing 5/8 or even in the centres. We need someone to run the fowards around and take pressure off Campese. The only position we need covering is halfback. We have great young outside backs who unlike halves and fowards generally find their feet in 1st grade pretty quickly. We have our fowards covered as we are virtually playing with the same pack as this year. Shillo, Tilse, Thommo in the front row. TLL, Miller and Thurling who all can swap between front and second rows. Harrison and Tounge in the backrow who play 80mins and the younger players like J.Thompson and Fenson who will be better next year after mostly playing in the QLD cup this year.
If we purchased Matt Head cheaply he compliment Campo perfectly!

Last edited:

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
I think Herberts been better then campo the last couple of weeks. We just need to relax and give him some time still very young and will only get better

Boganater

Juniors
Whats wrong with Campo lately he never runs the ball is he injured or just sulking? Herbert was great when Campo was in Origin and he's been slightly better recently than earlier in the year.
I think Herbert has it in him he's just got to grow some nuts.

aussies1st

Staff member
Hes taking the pressure of Campo to the stage where Campo is doing bearly anything. Campo needs to start running the ball more. Herbert is starting to look more like a halfback. He was running sideways looking for players to pass to instead of hitting it up.

i think herbert/campo have the same problem as what carney/campo did. They are both strong ball runners but neither of them like to get heavily involved and take control of the game as all good halfbacks do

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
campo has been dog poo...seriously, i cannot believe how many people bag out herb yet our 500k a year superstar is allowed to do nothing and recieve very little critisim.

Far fetched i know, but id have herb over campo...based on current form.

Hanscholo

Bench
I have seen him do two things all season:

1. Kick to the wingers.

2. f**kup.

he isnt a first grade half back.

JJ09

Juniors
Marc Herbert is NOT a halfback, not playing like one anyway. He looks like he'd be more comfortable playing 5/8 or even in the centres. We need someone to run the fowards around and take pressure off Campese. The only position we need covering is halfback. We have great young outside backs who unlike halves and fowards generally find their feet in 1st grade pretty quickly. We have our fowards covered as we are virtually playing with the same pack as this year. Shillo, Tilse, Thommo in the front row. TLL, Miller and Thurling who all can swap between front and second rows. Harrison and Tounge in the backrow who play 80mins and the younger players like J.Thompson and Fenson who will be better next year after mostly playing in the QLD cup this year.
If we purchased Matt Head cheaply he compliment Campo perfectly!

I agree, I think you have a very well rounded team but lacking leadership at half back. You guys have the team to contest a top 4 spot next year but lacking that halfback. All other main positions are covered with great young talent, in the likes of Dugan, Crocker and Campese. And then add some spark in the forwards with Learoyd, work horse in Tongue, and speed out wide with Carney and Graham. Also have some good juniors coming through who can take over in a few years.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Just visit OPSM and they will help you out

Well reading the thread looks like more people agree with me than you. Campo is a star but has been so poor lately seems like origin really took allot out of his confidence and he doesn't even seem to want to get involved. I think Herbert is getting better every week. Although I certainty wouldn't say no to a great experienced half coming our way I think Herbets doing well considering his experience.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
but whats the difference from last year? honestly....

the herb was there, the herb didnt do much...the only difference was campo, we actually had a game breaker. Im very critical of campo because considering what he did last season, this season his been a shell of himself.

I never understood why everyone wants to bag out the junior players who are earning close to nothing...yet a player costing us 500k is doing even less.

Less talk about herb, players like herb will come and go....and in fact there everywhere. They either click or they dont and end up with a short career.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for...and for herb we are getting that...campo is the current problem, why isnt there more annoyed fans, why isnt there a thread about his form and why dont we write about dropping him??

herb making 100k...if that, campo on a massive 400-500k contract, yet herb has outplayed him the past few weeks. I think we jumped the gun on campo too quickly, 5 years of this....arghhhh.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
I still think Campo will come back...but his current form is really troubling, first few weeks in fantasy footy he was getting over 100! last week he got 12!!! Maybe not the best indicator of form but its not bad!

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Id have no dramas with campo if he threw in a solid performance every few games...but even that hasnt happened. his best game was the tigers in round 1.

Y2Eel

First Grade
If you cant buy one you could always try to make one out of paddle pop sticks and glue..

There is a huge difference from last year. Alan Tongue is at 1st receiver.
There is no way you can blame Herbert for not playing like a halfback , because he is been forced to play like a second 5/8, which would confuse the kid.

There is a few times when Herbert has played like a half, Rabbits, Warriors and Storm and we won those games.

Tongue is a champion lock but he just kills our plays at 1st receiver

Dazraider

Juniors
campo ios our halfback and herb is our 5/8th thety just wear the wrong number on their backs, thats how they play anyway

schnitzel

Juniors
Great call Daz, I'm of the same opinion. Look how many times Campo takes the ball at first reciever these days. Herb has no long kicking game and looks best with his running game wide of the ruck, so I think he is best suited to 5/8 or possibly even a centre? We are a team with a dominant forward pack, a 5/8 playing halfback and a lock trying to be a hooker and a half all at the same time. No wonder our attack looks disjointed.

Campo only gets the ball 1st when it goes left , when it goes right more times than not it goes to Tongue then to herbert.

Beavo

Juniors
I agree, we need a halfback.

Herbert doesn't have the tools to be a big game halfback now, I doubt he ever will and I'm not preared to give him 3 seasons to develop just in case.

I'd still go all out for Mick Monaghan, the guy has experience, great passing game, great kicking game (all round kicking game, not just chips) and can run the ball well instead of getting to the lin eand doing a jig.

He may never play rep footy, but he won't be far off.

Don't care what anyone else thinks, if we put him in our side next year, we're going to take it to all the top teams.

Latest posts