What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If we dont buy a halfback next year we will not make the 8

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
the warriors fan is on the money

if we play herby as a #7, campo as a #6 and tongue as a back up support player, Herby is a good young halfback and will foil campo well.

At the moment Campo's playing #7, Herby's playing #6 and Tongue's playing some hybrid half-hooker role, which is f**king up everything

I love Tongue but the prick needs to get back out to the rucks chasing up offloads and supplying an inside option for ball carriers like he used he. Thats how he became the player he is today. He's not a ball players arsehole

Totatlly disagree that warriors fans got know Idea what he is talking about.

Herbert just doesnt have the instinct required to be a good halfback. blokes like scott prince have the decision making skills and know when and who to pass it too.

Even halfbacks with limitation like Ben Roberts, Matty Head and Josh lewis (both off contract) would be better options than herbert.
Both have great passing games and pretty good kicking games.

Yes there defense is average - but I take that over herberts decent defense and crap everything else.

You need a bloke to have the instinct or else - both Mcrone and Herbert - one looks like a hillbilly the other a surfer.

Dont even need a great halfback - just a player who can distribute the ball a little.

Not sure if he is off-contract but local Warrior player Aaron Heremaia would be a great pickup.

Has only got a shot at hooker so far but is an out and out halfback. Good defense, attacking flair and fiesty.

Timbo

Staff member
I would just like to throw this out here...

Everyone who's been here a while knows I whined and moaned forever when we let this guy go...

You all disagreed with me at the time.

What would we do, seriously, what would we give to have Mick Dobson in the #7 right know?

He is a bajillion times the player Herbert is. We should never have let him go.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
No way.

Dobson was too slow and terrible in defence. He had decent vision and an alright kicking game but that's all. If he was back playing we would be worse. Let's be honest, campo is the real 7.. Despite the jersey. Plus furner has the field divided with one half campos and the other herbs and tounge. Tounge is playing first receiver.

Herb is basically a 6 getting the ball from tounge. Honestly how many halves can partner with tounge and make him look good? Not many.

I've said it a million times. Without structure we suck.. With too much structure we have no flair.. And therefore suck more. Herb earns, what match payments?? What's does our 5year man earn?

If u pay anyone 500k u still expect a decent play Here and there or individual brilliance. Nothing from campo since week 6. Don't blame herb since I think it's likely herb has more better highlights then campo.

Benji makes the cash, he doesn't have the best halve partner, yet u can see his ability in games. Thurston is plain awesome.. Once again can do it on his own. Orford is similar. Also prince, sure he has Preston but for how many games.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Also for every try dobson set up. He allowed line breaks and trys on the opposite side. His too much of a liability. Plus with our team carrying so many big players, we cannot offord another slow player on the field with poor tackling.

Teams hide there poor defenders, but these players must be something special. Dobson isn't.

shear_joy9

Coach
Dobson is playing brilliantly in the super league, just as he did on loan with wigan and catalans prior to re-joining the raiders.

I don't see how he would be a better partner for campese than herbert or mccrone.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I would just like to throw this out here...

Everyone who's been here a while knows I whined and moaned forever when we let this guy go...

You all disagreed with me at the time.

What would we do, seriously, what would we give to have Mick Dobson in the #7 right know?

He is a bajillion times the player Herbert is. We should never have let him go.

Totatlly agree.

Dobson had plenty of football in him.

I believe the team is strong enough to carry him in defense.
He does have good instinct, good passing game - already if we stop there.

We all know like the Warriors - Canberra struggle to attract players to the club they cant attract the players everybody wants.

They have to be selective who they go after.

They need to look at fringle fg'ers with potential, players waiting behind reps players, quality nyc players who are turning 21 next year.

Also they can look for players who have been not getting a fair run at their club or players with talent who are playing in crap teams.

Whilst some might ridicule the club for doing so - it is their only option.

Tigers shopped around Harrison end of season - nobody was that interested he ended up becoming an international and raiders best this year.

Tigers dont have any money they have already got some good bargain bin signings tame tupou, geoff daniella and arana taumata.

Unfortunately they are better than graham, purtell and Herbert.

It is good furner is a loyal bloke but too loyal.
Blokes like graham, turner even too a smaller degree - thompson do not have a future in first grade.

Eels look like are about to do a clean out might be able to pick up a bargain.

Taulim tautai might lambasted as crap on these - but he could serve the raiders miles better than graham and purtell.
Big strong and hard running at least he

Halfbacks - Josh Lewis, Matty Head

Hookers - Terrence Seuseu - he would be cheap as and would form a good hooking partnership with Waddell who is quick and nippy etc.

mongoose

Coach
I would definitely take dobson back. He had a great combo with campese as well. I remember in 2007 against the eels when we scored 20 points in 15 minutes. They also tore apart the panthers away that year.

Herbert showed me enough in the souths game to suggest he has what we need, he just needs to be utilised the same way as he was in that game, the onus was on him there, not mccrone, and with furner continually using tongue in a ball playing role its making herberts role further and further from where it needs to be.

nickraider

Juniors
Herbert showed me enough in the souths game to suggest he has what we need, he just needs to be utilised the same way as he was in that game, the onus was on him there, not mccrone, and with furner continually using tongue in a ball playing role its making herberts role further and further from where it needs to be.

Totally agree mate. Herbert is improving all the time and will keep getting better with experience.

Timbo

Staff member
Dobson was equal defensively with Herbert, and better in kicking/passing/organizing.

Only place Herbert wins is running game, which isn't what we need right now.

edabomb

First Grade
Dobson was equal defensively with Herbert, and better in kicking/passing/organizing.

Only place Herbert wins is running game, which isn't what we need right now.

Even with the running game it isn't a landslide, Herbert often shuts down chances by cutting in and having a run (when he is floating out in the backline for god knows what reason in the first place).

Dobbo had his flaws and probably didn't have too much improvement in him. But Herbert has played around 20 games now and only had a positive impact on the result once or twice, not good enough for a halfback. I don't see very much improvement happening in his game either.

Herbert sh*ts all over Dobson in defence. Herbert is quite solid, Dobbo was a turnstile in the Brad Drew class.

Thurston would look crap in our team the way it is structured.

matt

Juniors
The fact that dobson is being mentioned some 16 months after he was released is testimony that we are a three legged dog,that is slowly losing it's sight.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
He looks like the organising halfback we need but its hard to say since most of us don't get to watch South Logan matches. The only way to find out is playing him in FG.

Latest posts