What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If You Could Change One Rule In The Nrl What Would It Be?

Freak2

Juniors
korky said:
I would change double movement rule. Let them get the ball over the line anyway they can until held.

Um...... Isn't that the rule in place. Promoting the ball after being held???

If I had only one rule to change it would be in the salary cap.
Substantially increase the benefits (Cap exemptions) for players at any one club for a period of 200 1st grade games or more.

But I am devistated the NRL did not act on the proposal to introduce Captain / Coach video referee referrals.:x

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Freak2 said:
Um...... Isn't that the rule in place. Promoting the ball after being held???

If I had only one rule to change it would be in the salary cap.
Substantially increase the benefits (Cap exemptions) for players at any one club for a period of 200 1st grade games or more.

But I am devistated the NRL did not act on the proposal to introduce Captain / Coach video referee referrals.:x

Players who play for 10 years get a $100,000 cap exemption. That's pretty damn close to 200 games for most players (with injuries). IMO it's way too long as it is, especially in this day and age. 5 years of full time service is more than enough IMO.

Gee_Up

Juniors
If we are talking about the salary cap I'd make all juniors 100% exempt from the cap to encourage sides to develop their own. Or at least bring in the transfer rules similar to Soccer so clubs that develop talent are financially compensated by the club poaching them.

Unfortunately if any of this came in the price of used cars in the Eastern suburbs would increase astronomically..

adamkungl

Immortal
Gee_Up said:
If we are talking about the salary cap I'd make all juniors 100% exempt from the cap to encourage sides to develop their own. Or at least bring in the transfer rules similar to Soccer so clubs that develop talent are financially compensated by the club poaching them.

Unfortunately if any of this came in the price of used cars in the Eastern suburbs would increase astronomically..

Roosters lack of junior DEVELOPMENT aside, that would be ridiculously unfair, as we only have 4 clubs. So say we took the same, even double, what other clubs take from our own juniors, we would still be at a heavy disadvantage. But don't mind me, i'm just being levelheaded. I can always revert to Souths bashing if you want to drag this thread that way.

Gee_Up

Juniors
adamkungl said:
Roosters lack of junior DEVELOPMENT aside, that would be ridiculously unfair, as we only have 4 clubs. So say we took the same, even double, what other clubs take from our own juniors, we would still be at a heavy disadvantage. But don't mind me, i'm just being levelheaded. I can always revert to Souths bashing if you want to drag this thread that way.

Level headed? More like ignorant to your clubs dismal effort to promote the game at grass roots.

4 Junior teams is a clear indication on why your club should be disadvantaged as instead of spending money on the local kids your mob just buys everyone they can off contract elsewhere. It's not difficult to start a new Junior Rugby League club and it's not expensive for a club to fund a few extra junior teams. At the moment they couldn't be bothered and they should be disadvantaged because of it.

South bashing> Your entitled to comment on whatever you like but you couldn't fault South Sydney Juniors as they are kind enough to let your 4 clubs compete in their competition.

adamkungl

Immortal
Gee_Up said:
Level headed? More like ignorant to your clubs dismal effort to promote the game at grass roots.

4 Junior teams is a clear indication on why your club should be disadvantaged as instead of spending money on the local kids your mob just buys everyone they can off contract elsewhere. It's not difficult to start a new Junior Rugby League club and it's not expensive for a club to fund a few extra junior teams. At the moment they couldn't be bothered and they should be disadvantaged because of it.

South bashing> Your entitled to comment on whatever you like but you couldn't fault South Sydney Juniors as they are kind enough to let your 4 clubs compete in their competition.

Not difficult to start a new club? There is the issue of space... there's only so many clubs you can fit into a pretty small section of Sydney. I think Roosters should have down to Maroubra, but due to some NSWRL shenanigans back in the 50s, and some Easts incompetence in the 80s, its not to be.

Gee_Up

Juniors
adamkungl said:
Not difficult to start a new club? There is the issue of space... there's only so many clubs you can fit into a pretty small section of Sydney. I think Roosters should have down to Maroubra, but due to some NSWRL shenanigans back in the 50s, and some Easts incompetence in the 80s, its not to be.

The problem was pointed out by a non South Sydney fan- your club refuses to look after the 4 teams you have so why would expanding your area make a difference?

Bondi/Paddington/Coogee is a fairly large area and could easily cater for more than one team in each suburb. As your club isn't developing or funding juniors these areas will be overtaken by Soccer and AFL in no time. You must agree this is piss poor.

russ13

First Grade
1) Allow only two dummy-half & one out runs per set before a handover;

2) keep the scrums as they are but make the attacking teams use their full back-line or at least two passes from the scrum base. Too often teams just stand a crashballer (usually a forward) as the first receiver;

3) Restrict the amount of time trainers are on the field ; &

4) Look at the possibility of short arm penalties for minor infringements - a tap only instead the kick-out & then the tap.

Dave Q

Coach
1. Interchange down to 6.
2. Play the game in four quarters
3. 7 tackle rule
4. Video refs to make a call on any facet of play
5. Team from NSW country

beave

Coach
i swear there are about 3 decent rule changes put forward out of all the tripe in this thread, dummy half gets caught in his own half and it's a change over????? It's not touch football for chri$t sake. 7 tackle rule??? WTF????

1. Players who serve 5 or more years with a club (starting from the Youth Cup) on the 6th year recieve a 50% discount on the salary cap (eg. if they are worth $400,000 they then get discounted to $200 000). You can't make a players total salary disappear but you can heavily discount it, this day and age serving 5 years is a fairly long time, i think it provides balance, 10 years is far too long to have to wait for a discount on the cap.

2. (without trying to soundlike Vossy) the corner post is removed and the rules that are applied in the regular field of play in regards to line ajudication are enforced. It's total BS that because a player in the air touches a corner post with the ball is deemed out, yet a player in the air over the sideline but is in the regular field of play, is fine??? it is not consistent enough for my liking.

3. Whenever the ball is out of play, the clock stops, then you will see who has stamina. I think the interchange being reduced to 10 is now perfect.

Gee_Up said:

Hi Gee up

This has been brought up in many threads before. I know what you're trying to say but
N. Qld and Broncos have an entire state so do you think the Broncos, a wealthy club on a bad day, should get cap exemptions?
Just one question and I'm genuinely not trying to take the piss, but does your club actually develop juniors? Or has your district been blessed that some forward-thinking people formed Souths Juniors independant of your club.
I'm not making excuses for my club BTW. Even if a token effort, Easts should've stuck by the four clubs they have left instead of giving more
ammunition to their critics.

cheers

PS
Rule changes?
Piss off the video ref and bring back the in-goal ref. Too time consumming and they still got wrong on many occasions. I know it won't happen though.

Charlie124

First Grade
Babyface O'reilly said:
Hi Gee up

This has been brought up in many threads before. I know what you're trying to say but
N. Qld and Broncos have an entire state so do you think the Broncos, a wealthy club on a bad day, should get cap exemptions?
Just one question and I'm genuinely not trying to take the piss, but does your club actually develop juniors? Or has your district been blessed that some forward-thinking people formed Souths Juniors independant of your club.
I'm not making excuses for my club BTW. Even if a token effort, Easts should've stuck by the four clubs they have left instead of giving more
ammunition to their critics.

cheers

PS
Rule changes?
Piss off the video ref and bring back the in-goal ref. Too time consumming and they still got wrong on many occasions. I know it won't happen though.

So which state do the Broncos have? and the Cowboys state? what about the Titans?

beave

Coach
I know up here in NQ i am constantly in the state of drunkeness...............:alcho:

adamkungl

Immortal
Gee_Up said:
The problem was pointed out by a non South Sydney fan- your club refuses to look after the 4 teams you have so why would expanding your area make a difference?

Bondi/Paddington/Coogee is a fairly large area and could easily cater for more than one team in each suburb. As your club isn't developing or funding juniors these areas will be overtaken by Soccer and AFL in no time. You must agree this is piss poor.

Roosters fans aren't defending the recent fiasco with the juniors. There are threads on all three Roosters forums protesting, urging fans to write to management. So yeah, we're sh*tty too.

I don't think the Roosters current territory could support any more clubs. It is not a large area. At very best, you could fit maybe two more teams in, and I think that would be a struggle. Even so, it would just mean the same players spread across more clubs. I'm sure any kid who wants to play footy in the Eastern Suburbs can find a team within a 10 minute drive. Everywhere from Moore Park southwards is now Souths Juniors territory, to my knowledge this is due to Roosters mismanagement in the 80s with some clubs, such as Moore Park, Coogee Randwick, getting angry and defecting.

My wish is for the Roosters to start fighting back against this image of not supporting juniors, to me it is a real issue with the club, unlike crap like signing Mason or ridiculous salary cap claims, or any of the other abuse and lies thrown around here by twats. They should up their support for the current juniors, and attempt to claim back some territory. But yeah, probably highly unlikely to happen any time soon.

But back to the issue. With the current junior territory, regardless of funding as its irrelevant to this, how can anyone support a rule which gives such huge concessions to clubs with larger junior bases. Particularly seeing the whole point of the cap is to create an equal footing. On the other hand, a rule that better rewards loyal players, I would be completely in support of, as every club is given the same benefit, and has an equal chance to receive it.

KillKillerKill

Juniors
adamkungl said:
On the other hand, a rule that better rewards loyal players, I would be completely in support of, as every club is given the same benefit, and has an equal chance to receive it.

Except if your team is based in a place players don't want to live which may make retaining players more difficult, resulting in a perceived lack of loyalty.

That to has its flaws in terms of fairness across the teams.

KillKillerKill said:
If you score a try in golden point you should have a conversion. You have earned it through scoring a try so why not?

Seriously, give them a kick.

Points scored in golden point do not add to a teams f/a. This was all teams have an equal time limit to get their f/a as good as they can.

Charlie124 said:
So which state do the Broncos have? and the Cowboys state? what about the Titans?

Sorry, forgot the Titans. That's still only three clubs in the state of QLD. Teams with vast catchment areas already have an advantage without salary cap concessions.