What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If You Could Change One Rule In The Nrl What Would It Be?

murraymob

Coach
any referee that gives penrith a higher penalty count than there opponents has to drop his dacks and do a lap around the field.And based on this year there will be plenty of laps :lol::lol:

Gee_Up

Juniors
Babyface O'reilly said:
Hi Gee up

This has been brought up in many threads before. I know what you're trying to say but
N. Qld and Broncos have an entire state so do you think the Broncos, a wealthy club on a bad day, should get cap exemptions?
Just one question and I'm genuinely not trying to take the piss, but does your club actually develop juniors? Or has your district been blessed that some forward-thinking people formed Souths Juniors independant of your club.
I'm not making excuses for my club BTW. Even if a token effort, Easts should've stuck by the four clubs they have left instead of giving more
ammunition to their critics.

cheers

PS
Rule changes?
Piss off the video ref and bring back the in-goal ref. Too time consumming and they still got wrong on many occasions. I know it won't happen though.

South Sydney Juniors fund kids (pay all their costs for gear/insurance) to play the sport and as they grow older they either move into South's Bunnies/South's Seniors rep teams and are coached specifically for South Sydney or are poached to go elsewhere- I'd consider this nuturing/developing juniors.

Souths Juniors and Seniors are separate financially of course- but do you think South Sydney Juniors who select their Junior Bunnies teams are trying to develop these kids to play for anyone but South Sydney- we are all Rabbitohs here.

I'm only assuming it costs plenty more for QLD teams with large areas to re-locate, educate, train and house juniors they are trying to develop. (Carl Webb is from Mount Isa- not exactly near Brisbane). In Sydney for instance all the local kids don't have to travel far so they can live at home which makes the cost to the club much lower. Also Sydney may be a smaller area but the population is higher than QLD isn't it? I think it's fair to the clubs that finance and develop their kids to receive compensation from the poaching club or salary cap to reward and encourage clubs to develop the game at grass roots.

Gee_Up said:
South Sydney Juniors fund kids (pay all their costs for gear/insurance) to play the sport and as they grow older they either move into South's Bunnies/South's Seniors rep teams and are coached specifically for South Sydney or are poached to go elsewhere- I'd consider this nuturing/developing juniors.

Souths Juniors and Seniors are separate financially of course- but do you think South Sydney Juniors who select their Junior Bunnies teams are trying to develop these kids to play for anyone but South Sydney- we are all Rabbitohs here.

I'm only assuming it costs plenty more for QLD teams with large areas to re-locate, educate, train and house juniors they are trying to develop. (Carl Webb is from Mount Isa- not exactly near Brisbane). In Sydney for instance all the local kids don't have to travel far so they can live at home which makes the cost to the club much lower. Also Sydney may be a smaller area but the population is higher than QLD isn't it? I think it's fair to the clubs that finance and develop their kids to receive compensation from the poaching club or salary cap to reward and encourage clubs to develop the game at grass roots.

All fair points but my point was that your club has been lucky to have a great organisation not of your club's making. The senior clubs seem to take over development of players when they reach their teens ie: finding a home (as you mentioned), further skills development, wages, etc. Easts do that like any other club only they don't come from East Sydney anymore. Players who might have missed the Broncos boat like Flannery and Crocker for example made a career for themselves at our club. So we have been of some use in regards to developing young talent. I fully understand that fans get the sh*ts with my club and I don't know many Roosters supporters who don't want our club to produce its own talent.
Also:
Approx 3 million people for nine clubs in Sydney and 1.5(?) for one club in Brisbane.
I think the Broncos have a fair deal already inspite of some relocation distances. They don't have to pick a player from Mt Isa after all but choose to do so as it may benefit the club in the future.
cheers

Gee_Up

Juniors
Babyface O'reilly said:
All fair points but my point was that your club has been lucky to have a great organisation not of your club's making. The senior clubs seem to take over development of players when they reach their teens ie: finding a home (as you mentioned), further skills development, wages, etc. Easts do that like any other club only they don't come from East Sydney anymore. Players who might have missed the Broncos boat like Flannery and Crocker for example made a career for themselves at our club. So we have been of some use in regards to developing young talent. I fully understand that fans get the sh*ts with my club and I don't know many Roosters supporters who don't want our club to produce its own talent.
Also:
Approx 3 million people for nine clubs in Sydney and 1.5(?) for one club in Brisbane.
I think the Broncos have a fair deal already inspite of some relocation distances. They don't have to pick a player from Mt Isa after all but choose to do so as it may benefit the club in the future.
cheers

I know where your coming from but the issue remains. Your club is cutting funding to their 4 junior teams instead of trying to increase funding and development. The NRL needs to promote the sport and encourage clubs to develop their juniors to strengthen the league for the future and should offer compensation to those clubs that do this and this would be the rule I'd change- Luke Ricketson played for Bondi and went through the Roosters development without leaving the club and he should have been exempt from the cap. If he went elsewhere the Roosters should of received financial compensation from the club that was signing him regardless if the Roosters wanted him or not.