What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you had the chance to Boot South again, would You?

If you had the chance to Boot Souths would you?

• Yes

Votes: 111 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 111 50.0%

• Total voters

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I deserve a medal for all the games I have attended, only to watch loss after loss. Despite that, I love my club and I will always support them.

With the change of management structure, we will now at least have a front office that can drag us into the 21st century. I think people gloss over what an amateur effort we have been forced to endure, but I am proud that we moved unanimously to make the change.

For those past 'greats' that continually snipe from the sidelines, you are nothing short of a disgrace. Remember that without the fans, there is no football club.

In terms of our crowds, what do you expect after our crap on-field performances over 15 years. Despite that, there must be latent support, because we seem to hold our own when it comes to ratings on Foxtel, as 6 of our games made the top 40 cable programs for 2005:

http://www.freetvaust.com.au/SiteMe...ents/e3ae2fda-c4eb-4476-a9f4-7582d3c3e7f2.pdf

Paul Hewson

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
Souths suck. I voted yes, along with 85 other smart people.

Your lucky your team didn't go for rorting the salary cap. At least when the Bulldogs were caught they were right up there and ended up winning a comp because of it.

When Souths were kicked out at the end of 1999 alot of people were asking the question why are the Warriors in the comp at the expense of the teams kicked out?

yobbo84

Coach
Paul Hewson said:
Your lucky your team didn't go for rorting the salary cap. At least when the Bulldogs were caught they were right up there and ended up winning a comp because of it.

When Souths were kicked out at the end of 1999 alot of people were asking the question why are the Warriors in the comp at the expense of the teams kicked out?

Let's not forget that the Warriors passed the "criteria" in October 1999, only to be declared bankrupt in January 2000!

Copa

Bench
The NRL needs a good geographic spread with a team representing most areas including New Zealand and interstate....

I'll support whatever gets this for the NRL.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
Let's not forget that the Warriors passed the "criteria" in October 1999, only to be declared bankrupt in January 2000!

Yes I forgot about that. The point that I am trying to make is that I have been through the heartache of being left without a team only to have them put back in. I feel for the teams like Norths that have been shunned. No fan should have to go through losing their team and I hope no other fans have to go through that again.

If a team dies a natural death then so be it. I know that years ago teams such as Cronulla and Canberra were close to folding. Western Suburbs were booted out in the early 80's only to be given a chance.

It was only last year that we had he closest competiton in the history of Rugby League. In 1999 Souths were in the running for a semi-final spot only to miss out because of suspension to Tricky Trindall and the threat of being kicked out. All through the 99 season we all knew that it was Souths that were going to go. In he 99 season Craig Wing signed a 3 year deal with Souths only to miss out because they were kicked out. Same with Anasta and Reni Matua. Guys like Matt Parsons had to move on to when they didn't want to.

To lose those sort of players and have to start over again is bad enough. But it even effected the Juniors as well. Less people started playing League in the Souths Juniors. It has only been since Souths have come back in the comp that the Juniors are starting to come through again. Guys that we have all heard of such as John Sutton, Beau Champion, Yileen Gordon, Manase Manoukafoa and Shannon McPherson. There is more coming through like Ricky Young, Troy Boston, Eddie Paea, Aaron Firman, Edward Pettybourne, Joe Falemaka and Fetuli Talanoa. Remember the SG Ball team made he Grand Final. That is the 2nd time in 3 years.

buster bunny

Juniors
Paul Hewson said:
Yes I forgot about that. The point that I am trying to make is that I have been through the heartache of being left without a team only to have them put back in. I feel for the teams like Norths that have been shunned. No fan should have to go through losing their team and I hope no other fans have to go through that again.

If a team dies a natural death then so be it. I know that years ago teams such as Cronulla and Canberra were close to folding. Western Suburbs were booted out in the early 80's only to be given a chance.

It was only last year that we had he closest competiton in the history of Rugby League. In 1999 Souths were in the running for a semi-final spot only to miss out because of suspension to Tricky Trindall and the threat of being kicked out. All through the 99 season we all knew that it was Souths that were going to go. In he 99 season Craig Wing signed a 3 year deal with Souths only to miss out because they were kicked out. Same with Anasta and Reni Matua. Guys like Matt Parsons had to move on to when they didn't want to.

To lose those sort of players and have to start over again is bad enough. But it even effected the Juniors as well. Less people started playing League in the Souths Juniors. It has only been since Souths have come back in the comp that the Juniors are starting to come through again. Guys that we have all heard of such as John Sutton, Beau Champion, Yileen Gordon, Manase Manoukafoa and Shannon McPherson. There is more coming through like Ricky Young, Troy Boston, Eddie Paea, Aaron Firman, Edward Pettybourne, Joe Falemaka and Fetuli Talanoa. Remember the SG Ball team made he Grand Final. That is the 2nd time in 3 years.

Your spot on. I dont think many people realise the full extent of the damage done to souths by kicking them out in 1999. At least now Souths seem to have organised themselves with the new ownership. Teams should be allowed to remain in the competition while they able to survive. Otherwise its unfair and in many ways impossible to select which team deserves to die. Souths must have done something right to be able to support themselves for almost 100 years.

And lets not forget that in between Souths premierships have been many bad years and yet they still eventually were able to find success again. Lets wait and see if they can do it again. Ive got no problems if Souths die by their own hand but I think its wrong to kick them out when they are able to survive in the competition.

Humphrey

Juniors
sh*t no some team has to get the wooden spoon Last year it was the Knights next year might be the Panthers or Warriors

nqboy

First Grade
My No made it 103 all. Interesting topic, before I voted I had no clue how the chips would fall.

Tradition and history is everything after the ravages of the Super League war. The Bunnies have been basket cases for years but the new deal offers new hope (instead of the false hope offered by Saint George after readmission) and we have to give them time to see if they can make it work.

sydraider

First Grade
They havent even started to get over the goerge piggins regime, give them some time at least, everyone talks about the time they were re-instated but when they were, they were still controlled by the same rabble that led them to be booted!