What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you worry that our comp isn't "national"......

Good article in the Herald Sun today about Mahe Fonua who should become the first 100% born and raised Melbournian to play in the NRL.

Fonua is a gun...won a lot of games for the Storm U20's this year with his pace and ability to spot a gap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That crowd was great to watch, some great footage of them doing the group Haka and they were loud all night. Big Kiwi contingent in Melbourne so I expect we will see the same again.

Look forward to seeing a Wellington team in the Nrl one day.

Loudstrat

Coach
I thought you would whinge! So youve realised that the word "National" doesnt mean we can go and live happily ever after if we do the dots on the map thingy?

Before you invent some crap about me campaigning for a return of Glebe and the 'Dales, I'm sticking with the Bears/Reds double for the next expansion, but the game does need another Kiwi presence.

I think the Warriors need to become the powerhouse they always threatened to be before a second Kiwi bid is considered. They probably are on the cusp of that now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually the word National has little relevance to the NRL, the comp is not National across Australia and as you pointed out includes a second country.

^There will probably be more Warriors fans than Storm fans at the game next week.

The best scenario for all of us fans of non title winning sides this year is that the Warriors win it. With it being a yawnion world cup year and all, it will be pretty big.

The Warriors under 20's are smashing every team in their path, and they will only lose the players they want to lose. The rest will step up to first grade for Warriors and shine. The Toyota cup has ensured that the days of letting the Benji's and SBW's slip are over for the Warriors. Plus they have a pretty special coach taking over next year. The future's pretty bright for them.

Loudstrat

Coach
Should move this to Etihad. Promote the shit out of it and get 40k!
Yes. Great call.

Of course, you realise games cannot be moved to get a bigger crowd. Ask Manly.

^There will probably be more Warriors fans than Storm fans at the game next week.

The best scenario for all of us fans of non title winning sides this year is that the Warriors win it. With it being a yawnion world cup year and all, it will be pretty big.

The Warriors under 20's are smashing every team in their path, and they will only lose the players they want to lose. The rest will step up to first grade for Warriors and shine. The Toyota cup has ensured that the days of letting the Benji's and SBW's slip are over for the Warriors. Plus they have a pretty special coach taking over next year. The future's pretty bright for them.
Very true. It would be great if teh Warriors won the comp. It would not surprise me if they got a bigger bandwagon in NZ than the Orl Blicks.

18to87

First Grade
Hmmmm, deducted four points for salary cap breach in 2006.
The Game in Melbourne will be sold out and half the Storm fans will be cheering the Warriors on since we have a big Kiwi following.

Will be awesome if it is sold out and there is more Warriors fans than Storm. All of NSW + QLD will be hoping the Warriors win.

stormbati

Bench
When I say Storm fans will be cheering for Warriors, I meant there are some that literally turn into Warriors fans on gameday regrdless of the purple theyre wearing.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Imagine this. Its February 2012 and the SL champions Catalan Dragons take to the field against the new NRL champions NZ warriors in the World clb challenge in Perpignan.

Thats the dream and i hope we live it. That would be a massive PR boost for league on an international scale.

I don't get why people are so desperate for a previously failed team in the Perth Communists to make it national when the Warriors make the NRL an INTERNATIONAL game.

Don't need the Reds. Don't want the Reds.

Loudstrat

Coach
...in front of a 20k crowd, televised live throughout France, GB, Australasia The Pacific and the US
Good article in the Herald Sun today about Mahe Fonua who should become the first 100% born and raised Melbournian to play in the NRL.
Great news. Needs more though, not just "we produced a junior fo f*ck off". They need a production line. That will be the second of the three things: Crowd (small, but they have one), juniors, and self sufficiency through local means. Having one is not enough

Will be awesome if it is sold out and there is more Warriors fans than Storm. All of NSW + QLD will be hoping the Warriors win.
QLD will go for Melbourne.

When I say Storm fans will be cheering for Warriors, I meant there are some that literally turn into Warriors fans on gameday regrdless of the purple theyre wearing.
That's the same bloody thing!

One thing you have to give them credit for in NZ is that the old "They have no place in an Australian comp" whinging has died. The Warriors have built a great club that respects the traditions of our game, and has embraced the values in our code. Yes, they got done for cheating the cap in 06, but their response was great. They took their medicine - made more painful because they missed the finals by 2 points - never whinged, and never repeated the error.

Their presence has been the foundation of 2 Tri Nations wins and one World Cup, and has provided a real link between the Australian part of the NRL and the Kiwi test jumper. Without them, I am pretty certain that the Cayless brothers and Benji, and maybe guys like SBW and Pritchard would have played Origin instead.

Having them in the comp is a bigger gift to our game than the presence of any AFL side is to theirs.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
I don't get why people are so desperate for a previously failed team in the Perth Communists to make it national when the Warriors make the NRL an INTERNATIONAL game.

I'm not desperate, but they have got their grassroots sh*t together, and it's the AFL town most likely to accept us. I think the presence of Union is a huge blow to League in Perth, and they will have to do more of a Gosford (ie good crowds more often) to convince me.

That said, getting a Queensland side to work without triple the resources of the average NRL club is, strangely, quite difficult. Of their bids, none has the polish, the reasoning, or the ticked boxes in all the things a successful side needs anywhere near what Michael Searle put on the table almost a decade ago.

If NZ win the comp - or at least make the GF and generate enough interest to spark a genuine second bid, the Queenslanders will be so far behind it aint funny. All they have is one club with a disproportionately big population, and from what I have seen Broncos fans are as died in the wool as anyone.

u have no idea ......try following a sport you love but having no team to watch.......stick to following soccer

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Are the warriors getting much coverage in NZ ??

In any other year they would be but it's hard for anything other than the RWC to get any press there at the moment, plus last week's piss-poor effort didn;t do them any favours. After last night they'll get a bit of attention for the week. Bad timing though as the Warriors-Storm game clashes with All Blacks vs France, which is probably the most anticipated pool game in the entire RWC.

flamin

Juniors
Though Warriors v Storm will be played at night AEST, while France V NZ is in the afternoon in NZ if I've checked correctly.