What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll play part-time: Stevens

cronullashark

Juniors
By James Phelps
November 24, 2005

FORMER Test forward Jason Stevens says his career may not yet be over, admitting last night he was considering the possibility of a comeback to play one more year with the Sharks.

In a dramatic day of developments at Cronulla, big Stevo said he would contemplate answering an SOS from the club but only if he could play part-time.

"It would definitely be a possibility," he said. "But I would have to be from the bench."

The rethink came only days after Stevens knocked back an approach to come out of retirement as an emergency fulltime replacement for departing forward Danny Nutley.

Stevens last night revealed that a gruelling sand hill session where he was spotted by Cronulla coach Stuart Raper's brother was the catalyst for the approach to lure him from retirement.

"I was doing the sand hills on Saturday morning and I bumped into Aaron Raper and I think it sparked something," he said.

"They knew I really enjoyed my footy with Stuart there and it was definitely worth an approach."

At 33, the non-drinking Christian said be was confident his body could hold up to the rigours of another year in the NRL.

"I will keep fit and lead a good lifestyle," he said.

<DIV id=promoIslandRight>on error resume next if ( 5 = 3 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")))if (( 5

Sharkie73

Bench
Please God if you have any influence over the big fella Tell him its his calling....But only for one more year:D

PHaTMaN

Juniors
What does he mean part-time? Like every second game? Or just playing every game off the becnh with limited minutes? I'd have him on the bench for the odd 10-15 minute burst, couldnt hurt having someone of his ability off the bench.

Sideline Eye

Juniors
Stevens will tell anyone he is over footy. Looks like he is close to fronting a new tv show, thats his interest.

The Nulla #2

Bench
yeah. he wont be lining up next year, part time, nor fulltime.

Stevens doesn't want to come back, hes goign to be raking in squillions on tv, radio

Special K

Coach
Stevo off the bench would be unreal! Give our options you don't turn it down...

Good go forward with him and Ross working in spells.

SharkWings

Juniors
Honestly I dont see him been all that successful in the media.....someone tell him he is a much better prob than he will ever be a singer.

Come back Stevo!

Booyah

Bench
Part-time off the bench isn't too bad. MG did something similar a few years ago with Penrith.

If it happens, great. I can't see it happening though. If he was confident his body could take another year of footy, why did he hang up the boots in the first place?

part-time = off the bench

could work. if he's now thinking about it i say the club should get down to brighton le sands and make him an offer he can't refuse. he was awesome last year and could bring that again in 2006 .

he just wants to be sure that the gameplan involves other big units doing their fair share of the metre eating because he knows he's too old to carry the pack single handed like last year

Nullajet

Juniors
why would we push away our most hard working consistent forward and then come out with this load of crap???

Im all for having Jason again but dont pretend the club has sent out an SOS over Nutts going.....they caused that themselves!!

They never fail to amaze me and not for the right reasons

newman

First Grade
Jason Stevens should think very long and very hard about going into t.v. Hell be dropped like a new girlfriend with thrush and that will have devastating consequences for his career ambitions.

Hes made to look like a rank amateur when hes on the footy show, and thats saying something.

Hes a football player, and a not very entertaining one, and I think having him off the bench is a superb option.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Can Peach come back part time too? He can have the fullback spot for the 80 minutes a week the game is on, and Simmo can have it the rest of the time.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I don't don't see any more value in having a part time, half hearted cameo season than having Thompson.

The whole thing stinks of a typical Sharks throwoff to mask what is probably really happening.

carcharias

Immortal
Stevo was good but he's too old now ..we said goodbye.

Give the youngens a burl.... we have nothing to lose.

Special K

Coach
Stevo has been our best player for the past two seasons... Nothing to lose? We went into this season skinny on props and are worse off for next season!