What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im a fool but anyway - Poor Game dont bother buyn it poor AI

gpgamer

Juniors
Hi i was lucky enough to get a chance to play the game with the gp staff and here is a review of what I think of the game

GAMEPLAY

Poor reflection of Rugby League, some observed faults;

-The computer AI is poor, in its own half there are no hit ups whatsoever they offload too much and centres and wingers usually get the ball.

-More on the computer AI its like the players are stupid they make a break and there is no one to beat yet they pass it back to a player who will be tackled.

-5th tackle option from the computer is poor 20% of the time you will see them put up a kick and 80% of the time they die with the ball.

-The halfback hardly gets the ball there is no real play maker only a on field play kicker. Usually the centre or 12 gets the ball in the attacking teams half first up and he offloads and passes like crazy.

-90% of high tackles are send offs

-There is no advantage rule so when the team knocks the ball on there is a scrum and it slows the game down.

-The hooker hardly gets into position to pass the ball it is usually wingers and props who get into the ruck and they bend over on one knee waiting for the ball which looks terrible

-Defense is unrealistic in all difficulty levels (schoolboy, seasoned, legend etc) once you beat the first up tackle there is no second line of defence and the fullback is non existent

-With the sideline camera angle all passes float forward looks ridicilious

-Player movement looks unrealistic at times and just akward, and at other times looks brilliant

-Placement of bombs and grubbers are too unrealistic and you will find yourself not bothering after a while it doesn’t look or feel real

-Referees captures look awful it’s a poor effort especially the send off scene

-Deliberate forward passes you get penalised for don’t even go forward it’s the same error from the demo that got carried over with the forward passes

-Too easy to kick the ball out off kick offs to get a scrum it happens all the time very unrealistic

GENERAL ERRORS

-Brent Webb is not a right footed kicker that’s quite a terrible error to make

-There are no spear tackles they are normal tackles yet you get penalised for spear tackling

-Players have fingers not blocks

Although some graphics look good the gameplay is pretty much the demo with more big hits and more players in the tackle. Its very annoying to play as it doesnt feel like Rugby League and goes into the not to be touched again basket if you like Rugby League and not just passing the ball around willy nilly. The AI needs alot more buffering up if this game wants to be a success and it is more the same as Rugby 2004 a big let down
If you pre ordered this game wait for it to come out and play it either at a friends house or at stores that have it on their computers so you can see what I am talking about its not worth $100. 3/10 only for graphics

hulkster

Juniors
well i dont know what game you were playing but i heard from a couple of other sources that have also played the game they think it is very close to the real thing and the game is spot on

Razor

Coach
Sure you weren't playing an earlier Beta version?

I've played a later beta version release and it's nothing like you've described - except for the no advantage rule, which Mario has already said is not implemented.

umosay

Juniors
man gpgamer, what a dick!... don't tell us not to buy the game, you obviously only like games that are top notch, and you get to play all of them probably... and you obviously haven't been following this game closely...

Gameplanet hands-on thought it was brilliant, and you must not be a big league fan... we don't want your negative thoughts

Terry_Lamb

Juniors
i reckon your playing the demo buddy!
youve only given the negatives of the game..
fill us in on the positives

incredible_holc

Juniors
well i wont blast your head off. We cant just expect good news all the time. This is what he thinks so im happy to believe him but it doesnt mean well think like that.

btw it cant be that bad or they wouldnt be getting $100 out of us

angelus

Juniors
He's probably telling the truth, but I'll still buy it in hope of a sequel. Mario has already said there are no left foot kickers.

GenX

Juniors
Well I dont know what game you were playing Mr "gpgamer" but from what I have played it seems like a decent League game. Since the game is not out yet how can you even review it? Sounds like you are bitter about your purchase of Rugby 2004 to me. ;-)

No matter what you say, I will be purchasing it knowing that there will be a damn good chance of a sequel. I support my local market, and it is good to see an NZ company delivering a game on a worldwide scale so to speak.

Tadpole

Juniors
gpgamer said:
If you pre ordered this game wait for it to come out and play it either at a friends house or at stores that have it on their computers so you can see what I am talking about its not worth $100. 3/10 only for graphics

:roll: :roll: PFFFFFT there is always one in the crowd....the type of person who isnt satisfied unless they are actually in the game :roll: :^o ]

Considering every review so far has been nothing but complimentary, stating that it does feel like league...obviously not a fan....think i might go headbutt a wall now ](*,) :roll:

Mario

Juniors
Hmmmm you say some things that lead me to believe you are making this up.

gpgamer said:
Hi i was lucky enough to get a chance to play the game with the gp staff and here is a review of what I think of the game

Uh, no you didn't. When GP (I am assuming you mean Gameplanet) did their review there was only a single GP staff member present. And nobody else.

gpgamer said:
-90% of high tackles are send offs

An exaggeration. I know the likely percentage and it is a lot lower than that.

gpgamer said:
There are no spear tackles they are normal tackles yet you get penalised for spear tackling

There are spear tackles. They look nothing like ordinary tackles. You even get a slow motion replay to demonstrate clearly.

Players have fingers not blocks

Not in the version GamePlanet played. Screenshots of the Xbox and PC versions would also seem to indicate otherwise.

I won't deny the AI isn't even close to perfect and the computer does do the occasional dumb thing, but your comments seem to indicate you haven't actually played the final version.

Happy for people to bag the game off as much as they want, but at least they should play it first :roll: Apologies if you have, but some of your comments indicate otherwise.

Thanx for clearing that up mario, he may have been playing that super league game :)

He did bring up smething that is very annoying when u see it in game and thats when a player will deffinantly score if they just run forward then they pass to someone in a worse position, lets hope that doesn't happen to often...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah good onya Mario, thanks for sorting that out. You obviously know a hell of a lot more of the game than that d*khead. I cant believe he posted it, saying to us that its not worth buying the game, then he starts lying to us, as if hes played the game.

I mean what a complete tool. :roll: :lol:

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
i dont know why some ppl are so worried about the game, the demo was made after 3 months of production and i reckon it could almost match it with rugby 2004 (not like its hard though) and its been over a year since then so the game should end up been pretty decent

id like 2 know wat would you rate it out of 10 mario???

Monkey

Juniors
I've just got up and had to read this crap.Obviously made up and for the forst time in years i feel like shootin him down.

gpgamer, go home you sad tosser, your some yawnion loving gayboy who aint been nowhere near the RL Game. :roll: Get a life, DICKHEAD

PS Apologies to the mods....but it needed sayin

HBG

Juniors
It seemed unbelievable. :x :x
I think he must be from Microprose. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TripleM

Juniors
I'm not sure who this guy is, but, like, a couple of the things are actually correct - no advantages, and then about the difficulty levels.. despite me asking Vodka we haven't seen any other names for difficulty levels other than seasoned.. are schoolboy and legend correct? And where did he get those from?

Latest posts