What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm new to rugby league

redunderthebed

Juniors
Roll Tide said:
I live in the US.

I found the nrl match replays on the bigpond video site and just started watching them. The video is downright unwatchable at times due to buffering, poor resolution, etc., but it's my only means of viewing the games. I'm just glad the NRL doesn't charge its fans for that horrible video service (like that other league ;-)).

I think that setanta sports over there has NRL games on TV if you are interested.People have pretty well covered all the questions you had.

Anyway welcome aboard!

***MH***

Bench
RollTide said:
What happens when a player is tackled behind his team's try line?

ParraEelsNRL has your answer there. If you're interested, you can look further into the rules below to see how the laws are structured. Below is an extract of what happens in your scenario as guided by the Rule Book. As you can see, it's very easy to understand and follow.

A link to the Rule Book can be found here

Section 8 - Law 4

Drop-out from Goal line​

The game is restarted with a drop-out by a
defending player from the centre of his goal line if:
(a) a defending player last touches the ball before it
goes over the dead ball line or into touch in-goal.
(b) a defending player accidentally infringes in the
in-goal area.
(c) a defending player touches down in the in-goal
area.
(d) a defending player in possession is tackled in the
in-goal area.
(e) a defending player kicks the ball into touch on
the full from his own in-goal.
(f) a defending player kicks or passes the ball in his
own in-goal and the ball accidentally strikes an
opponent and goes into touch in-goal or over the
dead ball line.
(g) the ball or a defending player carrying the ball
touches the referee, a touch judge or an
encroaching spectator in the in-goal area and
play is thereby irregularly affected.
(h) the ball goes over the dead ball line or into touch
in-goal other than on the full from a kick off from
the centre of the halfway line .

GLOSSARY

DROP-OUT means a drop kick from between the posts or from the​

centre of the 20m line when bringing the ball back into play.

DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or​

hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the
ground.

TOUCH DOWN is the grounding of the ball by a defending player in his​

own in-goal.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Roll Tide said:
I live in the US.

I found the nrl match replays on the bigpond video site and just started watching them. The video is downright unwatchable at times due to buffering, poor resolution, etc., but it's my only means of viewing the games. I'm just glad the NRL doesn't charge its fans for that horrible video service (like that other league ;-)).

I'm not the right person to answer that question, but I have my doubts.

Thanks!

BTW, does anyone know of a site where British RL can be watched free of charge?

Thanks.

I think NRL and SL are on Setanta, but you can give this a try since RL playing nations can't watch the SL online, only those outside the big RL nations.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/sltv.php

http://www.servecast.com/sport/press/coverage_090306c.html

Roll Tide

Juniors
Are referees who come from NSW or Queensland allowed to officiate a State of Origin match, or are they supposed to come from states other than those two?

Paullyboy

Coach
The salary usually ranges from about $500,000 per season for the absolute best players (and I'd have my doubts whether there are any more than a handful of people getting paid this much) down to the lower end of the scale which is in the 70,000-100,000 range.

Salaries aren't documented publically in rugby league so people generally dont know exactly but you can get a fair idea by reading news reports and the like.

The Salary Cap for the NRL is 4 Million which must be divided between the clubs top 25 players so the average based on that would be $160,000 per player/per season.

What part of the USA are you from? I'm heading over there in June.

Roll Tide

Juniors
The salary usually ranges from about $500,000 per season for the absolute best players (and I'd have my doubts whether there are any more than a handful of people getting paid this much) down to the lower end of the scale which is in the 70,000-100,000 range.

Salaries aren't documented publically in rugby league so people generally dont know exactly but you can get a fair idea by reading news reports and the like.

The Salary Cap for the NRL is 4 Million which must be divided between the clubs top 25 players so the average based on that would be $160,000 per player/per season.

That's about what I expected, thanks for answering.

What part of the USA are you from? I'm heading over there in June.

Alabama. Where in the US will you be visiting?

Paullyboy

Coach
I'm doing some Lifeguard work in Wisconsin on one of the lakes up there in June/July and then I'm going to be touring around the country to see all the sights and sounds in August/September.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Considering what they put their bodies through, and that they tend to only have 10-year careers, rugby league players are underpaid in comparison to other sports stars in my opinion. Take cricketers - love cricket, but how they earn so much for doing nothing (in comparison to league) is beyond me...Sure they have heavy schedules, but you could play cricket for 20 years and still be effective at 40. But you won't see too many 40-year old leaguies playing simply because their bodies can't cope.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant.

Roll Tide

Juniors
If someone from a place apathetic towards RL had a weekend to spend in Sydney or Brisbane for the sole purpose of going to RL games, what sort of itinerary would you recommend for this person? How many games can be seen in one weekend? Obviously at least one NRL match must be seen, but are there local or amateur leagues worth watching as well?

chiana

Juniors
RT
Welcome aboard. Yes come and visit the Sharks forum, where you will be made welcome.

Firstly know that the there is a difference between Sydney and Brisbane of about 1,000 kilometers (about 650 miles). Depending on the length of ones stay there is a lot to see in both cities and some wonderful places inbetween.

There are usually eight NRL matches per weekend. Usually two are played on a Friday night and are free to air. The last match of the weekend is played on Monday nights, which is available on cable. (Foxtel). Matches can streach anywhere up and down the eastern seaboard of Australia, and there is also a team in NewZealand. There are several other local leagues, the three biggest being the NSW Cup, the Queensland Cup and the Jeam Beam Cup. Unfortunately it's unlikely you would be able to download any of these matches via the internet.There is also a Toyota Cup for the under 20 year olds. Toyota Cup matches are played as a precursor to NRL matches.

If you were to spend a weekend in sydney, we have a world class aquarium at Darling Harbour and the ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly is lovely. There are several beautiful beaches along the Central Coast.

If you were to visit Brisbane, the Gold Coast is about an hours drive and has some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia. If theme parks are of interest you could visit Movieworld or Dreamworld while there.

If you like Horse Racing, then a visit to Melbourne in November could be your go. The Melbourne Cup is one of the grestest races in the world. Not just for the horse racing but for the mind blowing fashions.

The very best sporting event though is the ANZ netball championship in my humble opinion.

Cheers
C..

innsaneink

Referee
If someone from a place apathetic towards RL had a weekend to spend in Sydney or Brisbane for the sole purpose of going to RL games, what sort of itinerary would you recommend for this person? How many games can be seen in one weekend? Obviously at least one NRL match must be seen, but are there local or amateur leagues worth watching as well?

If that someone could manage it, a five day stay (Wed- Sun) would be preferable, somewhere around origin time. State of Origin is now traditionally on a Wed and commonly regarded as the pinnacle of the game, though imo its intensity and appeal has waned a littl these last few years.

The NRL games this year now has as its preliminary games a new U/20s competition, the Toyota Cup....highliting every clubs best up n coming young talents of around 18/19 years of age, bar those not selected already in the clubs top tier.

Between NRL and toyota cup is the VB State Cup (NSW) http://www.nswrl.com.au/

and QLD Cup (QLD). Players that are excess to the NRL clubs top tier squad and too old for U/20s play in these comps, most of these clubs have an affiliation with an NRL club, sometimes two in Wests Tigers case as Wests Magpies and Balmain Ryde are Wests Tigers historical link in a joint venture (another story)
Many of the grounds ....speaking only from exp in Sydney, unsure of QLD...many grounds are easliy accesible withing the Sydney area.

An example

State of origin I
Wed 21 May
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Shows/Show.aspx?sh=ORIGIN108

Round 11 NRL
Fri 23 May 7.45pm Sea Eagles v Dragons, Brookvale oval

Round 11 NRL
Sat 24 May 7.30pm Bluetongue Stdm Gosford (1 hr drive from Syd)
Souths Rabbitohs V Melbourne Storm

Round 11 NRL
Sun 25 may 3.00pm Leichhardt Oval - Wests Tigers v GC Titans

Usually plenty to choose from in Sydney...maybe too much, poor crowds, but again...thats another story.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Welcome to Rugby League!!

If you were to come to Australia to watch some matches, I'd recommend coming in November for the Rugby League World Cup.

There is a beautiful city that I live in called Newcastle located 2 hours North of Sydney. We are hosting one game in the Rugby League World Cup between New Zealand and England. If you were to come here I recommend that you also come to a Newcastle United Jets FC game. They are the national Football/Soccer champions! The supporters group (the squadron) would make you feel more than welcome.

You could also experiece the Newcastle culture, women, people, history and a whole lot more.

Here's some more info on Newy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle,_New_South_Wales

:)

Eelementary

Post Whore

Depends what you're into. For instance, some of the amateur leagues ban certain moves (shoulder charges, for instance), so the game at that level appears less intense than an NRL match (though they can still put themselves through their paces).

Knight87

Juniors
Hey guys, first post.

I have decided to start following the nrl, and so far I've been thorougly entertained. Rugby league is a completely new game to me, so there are some things about it that I don't quite understand. I'm going to attempt to explain my thoughts and ask questions to try and further my knowledge of the game. Some questions and comments may seem idiotic, so I'm sorry in advance. Thanks in advance for bearing with me. ;-)

I don't understand the consequences and assessments for penalties. It seems like sometimes the tackle count starts over. Other times the offended team advances a few yards with the tackle count starting over, and other times it looks like one player deliberately kicks the ball out of bounds and the team advances to that point with a fresh tackle count. Could someone please explain how penalties are assessed?

What happens after a 40/20 kick? How often does it occur? If the ball goes beyond the 20 meter line, is the opposing player allowed to return the kick or does he have to force it out of bounds and have the scrum take place at that point? I saw it for the first time in the Melbourne - Cronulla match. IIRC the ball bounced around in bounds and the Sharks player forced the ball out of bounds without an attempt to return the kick.

In a scrum, it seems like the team going against the feed doesn't put forth much effort to try and take ball. I read that this happened in the Souths - Bulldogs match. How often does it occur?

Are there any other common questions that I didn't ask in this post? I may find some other questions to ask the more I watch the game. Thanks for taking the time to look over this post. :)

Over time, you may start to build a bit of a rapport or soft spot for a team in the NRL. Either way or the other, welcome to Rugby League - the greatest game of all. You won't regret supporting it, especially over AFL, the 'round ball game' and Union. Just to listen or pay attention to the News Ltd faction of the media, and you'll be ok.

Welcome aboard, Roll Tide!:clap::clap::clap:

Knight87

Juniors
Welcome to Rugby League!!

If you were to come to Australia to watch some matches, I'd recommend coming in November for the Rugby League World Cup.

There is a beautiful city that I live in called Newcastle located 2 hours North of Sydney. We are hosting one game in the Rugby League World Cup between New Zealand and England. If you were to come here I recommend that you also come to a Newcastle United Jets FC game. They are the national Football/Soccer champions! The supporters group (the squadron) would make you feel more than welcome.

You could also experiece the Newcastle culture, women, people, history and a whole lot more.

Here's some more info on Newy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle%2C_New_South_Wales

:)

Roll Tide

Although I love and support the Knights, I don't live in the Hunter Region anymore. However, like Gunning_for_panthers said, I do recommend going there, lots of things to do there. If you love the beach and swimming, you'll love Bar Beach, Nobbys Beach and Merewether:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Barbeach.JPG

Knight87

Juniors
Considering what they put their bodies through, and that they tend to only have 10-year careers, rugby league players are underpaid in comparison to other sports stars in my opinion. Take cricketers - love cricket, but how they earn so much for doing nothing (in comparison to league) is beyond me...Sure they have heavy schedules, but you could play cricket for 20 years and still be effective at 40. But you won't see too many 40-year old leaguies playing simply because their bodies can't cope.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant.

I was reading through a research article the other day (on the respective career lengths of top grade sports). With Rugby League in Australia, the total career span for the average player who makes it into NRL (first-grade) is only 5 seasons (at top grade level). Very few players make it to 10 seasons, and even fewer players make it to 15 seasons (the only players in the game at this period of time would be Ruben Wiki, Steve Menzies and Steve Price).

With coaches, the average span at a club for a coach is 3.4 seasons.

Latest posts